Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowes and Home Depot vs Bankcard

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Lowes and Home Depot vs Bankcard

@JSS3 wrote:

Later on this year, I plan on doing some home improvements. Painting, hard wood floors, and maybe some carpeting. I also plan on buying a new refridgerator and stove. I'll be going on an app spree and was wondering if I should look into getting a Home Depot card, Lowes, or both? I'm closer to a Home Depot but they(Citi) don't give large limits like Lowes(Synchrony).

Then I wondered if store cards for this home improvement were even needed? Sometimes Discover and Chase offer 5% during their quarter. I don't know that the store cards offer discounts like that. The 0% 6-24 months(I believe) is of no importance to me because I could get that much on a Chase during their intro period and then get 5% during their rotating quarter. 

Is there a greater benefit to getting either a Lowes or Home Depot store card over a bankcard that I'm unaware of?

I have both, for different reasons. 

I did something similar to what you're proposing.  I used my Lowes card to buy kitchen appliances, since they (at the time) had Samsung appliances and Home Depot did not.  They had a package deal offer at the time, discount for buying 4 kitchen appliances, which I did.  They also offered, on top of that, either the 5% immediate discount, or 18 months financing at 0%.  I took the financing deal.

But I've also used Home Depot for their targeted offers.  They also had a deal a few summers back, 24 months/0% financing on a purchase of a Tuff Shed storage shed outbuilding.  Got a great deal and paid it off early.

"Benefit" is a subjective term.  For me, these were benficial, because they met a specific need at a price I was willing to pay.  At the time, these were the best options available; a bank issued card would not have resulted in the same benefit.  Only you can determine if Lowes and Home Depot cards would be a benefit to you. 

Message 11 of 29
JSS3
Valued Contributor

@thom02099
If you had a Freedom or Discover, and they were offering their quarterly deals for Lowes, would you still have gotten Lowes?

(just curious)
Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a $500 limit on Home Depot ... 1 mile away

I have a $17,000 limit on Lowe's ... 7 miles away

I think I'll buy my new fridge on the Lowe's card but I buy most of my quickie stuff (like screws) at Home Depot.

Message 13 of 29
CreditJim
Established Contributor

I don't use my Lowe's card very often but I like having it there with the option of the long 0% finance deals. I chose Lowe's over Home Depot simply because at the time (I'm not sure if it's still the case) it was very easy to call and get a SP CLI.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 14 of 29
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Anyone have PC Richards? How does that stack up?
Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowes is the easiest to get a high CL.  Simple to use chat for them to bump your initial CL way up.

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditJim wrote:

(I'm not sure if it's still the case) it was very easy to call and get a SP CLI.

Still true.  

$700-->$17,000 recently.  Lowe's is certainly great to have for utilization padding if nothing else.  Got me to 3% utilization from 7%.

Message 17 of 29
CreditJim
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditJim wrote:

(I'm not sure if it's still the case) it was very easy to call and get a SP CLI.

Still true.  

$700-->$17,000 recently.  Lowe's is certainly great to have for utilization padding if nothing else.  Got me to 3% utilization from 7%.

Still SP? I looked in the sticky and the backdoor number is still listed as the GE one, does that still work?

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 18 of 29
JSS3
Valued Contributor

If I were ti choose Lowes, I'd solely have to shop online.
Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditJim wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditJim wrote:

Still true.  

Still SP? I looked in the sticky and the backdoor number is still listed as the GE one, does that still work?

Yes, it's still a SP.  Use chat instead of calling.  Seems easier to get the CLI thru them.  Just tell the rep that the online link isnt working and you are about to start a home remodel and you would like your limit raised to $25K

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.