Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowes and Southwest Airlines gift cards

tag
john398
Senior Contributor

Lowes and Southwest Airlines gift cards

Does anyone know if I can use a Lowes Gift card to buy gift cards from other retailers or even airlines (if they even sell gift cards)

well and your probably wondering how this ties into credit cards, well I can buy a  lowes gift card with my sony rewards points

Also would you get 5% cash back on gift cards at Lowes when you buy with Discover

I guess it would ruin my plan if Lowes does not sell gift cards at all for other merchants

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
02whiteem2
Established Member

Re: Lowes and Southwest Airlines gift cards

It is my understanding that you cannot buy gift cards with gift cards but that is on a store by store basis. They can do it technically but are told not to. You can use your Discover card to buy gift cards and get ur 5% as i do that right now for gas gift cards since between me and my wife spend alomst $600 a month on gas. It get categorized as Home Improvement on your statement and you can get the rewards from it.

Message 2 of 4
withaspark
Contributor

As mentioned by the last poster, it's pretty standard for a store not to sell you a gift card for a gift card. But you already mentioned going in the right direction...assuming you will always PIF, turning non-bonus category spend into bonus category spend is a good play. If you were going to spend $30 at Olive Garden...why take 1% or 1x when you can get 5% or 5x by using the appropriate card to purchase gift cards from Lowe's. You should always look for these opportunities (just always PIF and don't stock up on gift cards if you wouldn't have spent that money at the specific retailer anyways). Also remember though, this is risky as what if you buy a Lowe's gift card from Publix for 6% cash back with the AMEX BCP, but then Home Depot runs a 50% off tile sale--you're stuck with Lowe's gift cards...and in this case...unless you can afford to float that money even longer...you're loosing money.

Something to contrast to buying gift cards at retailers is being resold gift cards from places like Plastic Jungle or Cardpool. I've had great success getting 5% to 16% immediate cashback (discount on the purchase itself) in non-bonus spend for all kinds of unavoidable charges (like pet food, home repairs, glasses). Just some thoughts--save the Sony pts for something else.

Message 3 of 4
john398
Senior Contributor

Thanks Guys, That makes sense

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.