Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 93
Registered: ‎07-26-2010
0

Re: Lowes or Home Depot - which is better?

Here's my 2 cents on this...I app'd for a Lowe's card but was AX'd so I went ahead and pushed my luck with HD and got a whopping $1,000 CL which was a super shock to me! I have SEVERAL CC's that are backed by GECRB and can vouch that my CL's have INCREASED drastically! I am proud that they have grown with me over the last 2 years!! Can say that I have one other CC that is backed by Citi and that I JUST got as well with a $700 CL to start off with...I am a Lowe's junkie!! My husband app'd for the Lowe's CC and was APPROVED so we are on our way to a nice rebuild for him with Lowe's (hopefully). I'd rather deal with Lowe's than HD anythime Smiley Wink

Last app 10/12
**no app'ing till 10/14 or more***
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 325
Registered: ‎08-16-2011
0

Re: Lowes or Home Depot - which is better?

I bought my first house back in December and since it needed a ton of work and I was broke, I went to HD and applied. I didn't know HD was backed by Citi, and had 2 CO's back from 2006 and just knew I would get denied. I was approved for 3K and just received an auto CLI of $4500. I've never applied with Lowe's before, but so far HD has been pretty good to me, and they have just as good offers when you use your card. I guess it's hard to speculate as to which card would be better...considering some people have no luck with Citi and I somehow was able to get approved with a decent limit while having 2 past CO's with Citi.

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Established Member
Posts: 1,573
Registered: ‎08-30-2011
0

Re: Lowes or Home Depot - which is better?

I like both, but for different reasons. 

 

Home Depot = Very generous to me for CLI, currently just shy of $10K, last increase was a promo, if I spent XXX number of dollars I'd get a credit limit increase AND no interest financing for 24months.  I needed a new storage shed, so I ordered one, had them build it, got the financing and increase to $9700.  Down side is, they frequently don't have some of the items in stock that I'm looking for, the tems are scattered all over the store, can be found in multiple locations (put them all together, for crying out loud!).  But I also just bought a lot of close out trees and shrubs and they do honour the 1 year guarantee, even this late in the season, for fall planting. 

 

Lowes = A bit more conservative in the CLI, but generous (to me) so far.  I really like their appliance section, in my opinion it's superior to Home Depot.  I bought over $5500 worth of kitchen appliances from them, all Samsung appliances.  VERY happy with Samsung quality.  Lowes stores seem to be more spacious than Home Depot, and with some items they offer a greater selection.  Others, not so much. 

 

Guess it depends on what one is looking for with each store.  They both have good strong points, and (for me) no really major or glaring weak points.  If you base a decision solely on credit granting, I'd say Home Depot has the upper hand as being more generous. 

EX = 828 EQ = 846 TU = 833 as of 02/2016
Retired and Retiring Cards!
Highlighted
Contributor
Posts: 140
Registered: ‎01-14-2012
0

Re: Lowes or Home Depot - which is better?

I have HD, and they seem hard to get CLI's from. I've had mine probably 7 years and have only increased $1,700, from $1,000.....



Starting Score: 675
Current Score: FICO- 777 (04/11/16)
Goal Score: 780+ All Three




Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎07-08-2012
0

Re: Lowes or Home Depot - which is better?

Not to bring this back from the dead but I didn't want to start a new thread.


Does Lowes do a SP when you app too? I'm guessing not...but I figured I would ask
Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,453
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: Lowes or Home Depot - which is better?


Kozmo wrote:
Not to bring this back from the dead but I didn't want to start a new thread.


Does Lowes do a SP when you app too? I'm guessing not...but I figured I would ask

No, any new app your do with GE will be a HP.




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎07-08-2012
0

Re: Lowes or Home Depot - which is better?

[ Edited ]
That's what I figured but I wanted to double check.


I have an account for American Eagle which has never had any issues and has a 5% util... Does this help since they are both GE?

I tried to get a CLI today with AE but the message online said it cannot process a cli online for my account...but didn't give an explanation.

My scores are around 680 fico.

But I also know GE has their own scoring method.

I'm trying to figure out if I should app today for lowes in the hopes I qualify and call for a cli or wait to bring my score up by paying down a few of my other accounts in a month or two and waiting till then to see if they start me
Off with a higher limit.


I just don't know if I want to be bothered app'ing and getting like a $250 limit

But I just got a house and will need a card like this.

I'm figured GE might be easier to qualify for.

But maybe since they use their own scoring I should try Home Depot instead??
Established Member
Posts: 1,573
Registered: ‎08-30-2011
0

Re: Lowes or Home Depot - which is better?

[ Edited ]

thom02099 wrote:

I like both, but for different reasons. 

 

Home Depot = Very generous to me for CLI, currently just shy of $10K, last increase was a promo, if I spent XXX number of dollars I'd get a credit limit increase AND no interest financing for 24months.  I needed a new storage shed, so I ordered one, had them build it, got the financing and increase to $9700.  Down side is, they frequently don't have some of the items in stock that I'm looking for, the tems are scattered all over the store, can be found in multiple locations (put them all together, for crying out loud!).  But I also just bought a lot of close out trees and shrubs and they do honour the 1 year guarantee, even this late in the season, for fall planting. 

 

Lowes = A bit more conservative in the CLI, but generous (to me) so far.  I really like their appliance section, in my opinion it's superior to Home Depot.  I bought over $5500 worth of kitchen appliances from them, all Samsung appliances.  VERY happy with Samsung quality.  Lowes stores seem to be more spacious than Home Depot, and with some items they offer a greater selection.  Others, not so much. 

 

Guess it depends on what one is looking for with each store.  They both have good strong points, and (for me) no really major or glaring weak points.  If you base a decision solely on credit granting, I'd say Home Depot has the upper hand as being more generous. 


Well, Lowes/GEMoney certainly surprised me.  Smiley Surprised

 

Got an auto-CLI from them a couple days ago...from $6K to...$10K!!!  Dunno what motivated that (other than springtime coming up and they wanting my business), but I'll take it! ! !

 

Changes my opinion of Lowes credit vs Home Depot credit.  Wonder if HD will try to jump ahead?!?

 

EX = 828 EQ = 846 TU = 833 as of 02/2016
Retired and Retiring Cards!
Mega Contributor
Posts: 15,453
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0

Re: Lowes or Home Depot - which is better?


Kozmo wrote:
That's what I figured but I wanted to double check.


I have an account for American Eagle which has never had any issues and has a 5% util... Does this help since they are both GE? I'm sure in some way it does.

I tried to get a CLI today with AE but the message online said it cannot process a cli online for my account...but didn't give an explanation. You need to call into CS for a CLI. Some of their cards do not have the luv button option even though its there.

My scores are around 680 fico.

But I also know GE has their own scoring method.

I'm trying to figure out if I should app today for lowes in the hopes I qualify and call for a cli or wait to bring my score up by paying down a few of my other accounts in a month or two and waiting till then to see if they start me If your overall util. is high I would wait before apping, last thing you want is a denial, they are very hard to recon.
Off with a higher limit.


I just don't know if I want to be bothered app'ing and getting like a $250 limit

But I just got a house and will need a card like this.

I'm figured GE might be easier to qualify for. Yes, they will be.

But maybe since they use their own scoring I should try Home Depot instead?? Citi backs HD cards, if your credit isnt good/excellent I would go with GE especially since you are a cardmember with them already.

 




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.