Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowest APR - Thanks AMEX!

tag
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Re: Lowest APR - Thanks AMEX!

Congrats,,good to hear.. feels good to be in 7%. range my EDP has been@ 7.24 since dec.2015....

great news they are still lowering Aprs. Now if only Chase would get on board !!!!! lol

Since I don't carry bals. I won't ask again. Satisfied !!!!!!!Smiley HappySmiley Happy

Message 11 of 27
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

I have a question for you guys...when y'all are stating these rate amounts, is that your rate before prime is added, or your total rate including prime?  They're so low!

Also, I just had an interesting chat with an Amex rep named Brad (y'all inspired me to ask for a rate reduction & my EXP recently took a jump from 752 to 812, so I figured why not?)

I asked if there was a reduction available on my BCP & was offered prime + 10.99, but only for a year (after which it would return to 13.74).  So of course I asked if there was a permanent reduction available, and he said I could ask for that after 4 billing cycles.  I thought that was kind of weird....& he got slightly rude when I questioned it.  I don't know how to add a screen shot, but this is verbatim:

Me:  Well, I certainly appreciate any reduction.  : )    However, I am curious as to the reason for a temporary reduction prior to a permanent one.

Brad:  This is a special offer and I am suggesting you take it as it would provide you a much lower APR.  You can surely ask for a permanent reduction after 4 bill cycles, but you won't lose anything as a lower APR would be effective as of now.  This is a special offer only provided to select card members.

So of course I said I would take it, and he made the change and said, "You've been a valued card member for some time and we appreciate your business."

Anybody else ever been offered a temporary reduction by Amex?  Thoughts on it?

Chase Sapphire Reserve $30,000 | Amex BCP $30,000 | Discover It $30,000 | Citi Simp $16,500 | NFCU Cash Rewards $14,400 | Citi DC $9,800 | Chase Freedom $9,000 | VS $4,100 | Kohl's $3,000 | Loft $3,000

EQ 823 ~ TU 817 ~ EXP 808 | ITG since 8/24/2016
Message 12 of 27
AAstra
Regular Contributor

I'm currently at a 19.24% APR with over two years on the card and PIF. To everyone posting here with rates around the 10% range and lower - were requests done over chat or automatically offered to you? I would think with my profile that I could lower my current APR to something better.

FICO - TU: 815 | EQ: 793 | EX: 813

Sears MasterCard: $13k (1/2013)
Capital One Venture One Visa Signature: $10k (7/2015)
Amex BCE: $9.8k (3/2014)
Amex Corporate: NPSL
Chase Freedom Visa Signature: $9.5k (3/2014)
Discover it: $9.5k (3/2014)
Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards: $2.65k (6/2013)
Message 13 of 27
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Nice!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 14 of 27
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@LuckyBird wrote:

I have a question for you guys...when y'all are stating these rate amounts, is that your rate before prime is added, or your total rate including prime?  They're so low!

Also, I just had an interesting chat with an Amex rep named Brad (y'all inspired me to ask for a rate reduction & my EXP recently took a jump from 752 to 812, so I figured why not?)

I asked if there was a reduction available on my BCP & was offered prime + 10.99, but only for a year (after which it would return to 13.74).  So of course I asked if there was a permanent reduction available, and he said I could ask for that after 4 billing cycles.  I thought that was kind of weird....& he got slightly rude when I questioned it.  I don't know how to add a screen shot, but this is verbatim:

Me:  Well, I certainly appreciate any reduction.  : )    However, I am curious as to the reason for a temporary reduction prior to a permanent one.

Brad:  This is a special offer and I am suggesting you take it as it would provide you a much lower APR.  You can surely ask for a permanent reduction after 4 bill cycles, but you won't lose anything as a lower APR would be effective as of now.  This is a special offer only provided to select card members.

So of course I said I would take it, and he made the change and said, "You've been a valued card member for some time and we appreciate your business."

The temporary rate reduction is a promo rate.  If you have a promo rate (e.g. 0% introductory rate), you cannot get a permanent rate reduction.  Congratulations on the big score increase.  That is good score increase.

Message 15 of 27
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

@CreditDunce wrote:

@LuckyBird wrote:

The temporary rate reduction is a promo rate.  If you have a promo rate (e.g. 0% introductory rate), you cannot get a permanent rate reduction.  Congratulations on the big score increase.  That is good score increase.

Thanks!  I'm not exactly sure what prompted that large jump - the other 2 have remained pretty steady.  I had a pretty substantial balance (a few thousand dollars) parked for about 3 months from a large purchase, and the score jump happened when that card reported $0 balance again.  I paid it off in one chunk so it was a sudden decrease.  That's the only thing I can think of that may have done it, but it didn't affect the other bureaus.  My scores had all gone down slightly when that balance was first reported but not 60 points...overall utilization still wasn't very high so I only lost a few points on each.

I'm still a little confused about the temporary rate decrease...I'm not currently on a 0% promo rate & haven't been in a long time.  But, oh well...I'll request a permanent one in 4 months as he suggested.

Chase Sapphire Reserve $30,000 | Amex BCP $30,000 | Discover It $30,000 | Citi Simp $16,500 | NFCU Cash Rewards $14,400 | Citi DC $9,800 | Chase Freedom $9,000 | VS $4,100 | Kohl's $3,000 | Loft $3,000

Message 16 of 27
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

It may have been better to wait a month and try again for the rate reduction.  Or maybe just end the chat and ask a different CSR.  By accepting the temp rate, you now have a promo rate.  It may not be possible for a perm rate reduction until next year.  However, please try in 4 months, I could be wrong.

I am assuming you are getting the score from Amex website...

Message 17 of 27
alkaline
Regular Contributor

Congratulations! I started at 19.99% a couple of years ago on my BCE and now I'm at 7.24%. The past couple of months they've been unable to lower it further, though Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 27
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

@CreditDunce wrote:

It may have been better to wait a month and try again for the rate reduction.  Or maybe just end the chat and ask a different CSR.  By accepting the temp rate, you now have a promo rate.  It may not be possible for a perm rate reduction until next year.  However, please try in 4 months, I could be wrong.

I am assuming you are getting the score from Amex website...

The scores are from here, but of course the EXP one matches the one on Amex.

I did say to the guy that I was under the impression that you couldn't ask for another rate reduction while on a promotional rate and he said that only applies to the 0% promotion.

I will definitely try it again in 4 months and see what happens.  I never carry a balance on this card so it doesn't really matter currently, but I figure it's a good idea to try & get all my rates as low as possible, just in case.  You never know what may happen!

Message 19 of 27
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Let's hope the CSR was correct and you can request a lower APR in 4 months.  It isn't what I understood, either.  However, I am not 100% sure my understanding is correct.

Last month several people had issues with Amex updating their score.  Either it didn't update or it was 3 weeks late.  In my case, Amex updated my score twice in May, but the previous score still shows March.  It is just a small glitch, but if Amex hadn't pulled/updated your score, they could have been using an old score.  If the score matches then it isn't that.  Although, I don't think it matters much if your score is 761 or 841.  They are both good scores.

PS.  If you haven't seen it yet, Discover is offering a free EX-08 score for everybody every 30 days.

https://creditscorecard.com/

Good luck, LuckyBird!

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.