Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowest APR on Rewards Cards

tag
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lowest APR on Rewards Cards

My Cap One Platinum is 5.99% except it isn't a rewards card.  Most reward cards don't also have a low apr.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 31 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Can you imagine an urgent/emergency situation when you would have to carry a cash balance? Could you PIF the full amount of a cash advance? If not are you satisfied with the rate you currently have on the two cards?

@Epcot wrote:
13.24% is my current lowest on a rewards card. Highest is Citi at 29.99%. Ouch

Benton,

The OP asked specifically about rewards credit cards. We all accept (except those who get very lucky) that the APR on rewards cards will be higher than on a card designed to be low interest. I would never use my rewards cards for an emergency. That isn't what they are there for. Even if I did have to put a balance on a high interest rewards card, I could balance transfer it to another, low interest card quite easily. 

Many rewards cards have set APRs, regardless of credit score. My Chase SW card is only offered at 15.24%.

I'm sure there are exceptions that PCd from other products (as my wife did with her TYP), but generally, you accept the higher interest rate as part of getting decent rewards. I also know there are a few cards offered (typically to people with high net worth and spotless credit) that have both decent rewards and low APR. But most of us are better off getting two different cards for two different purposes. I get an offer every month from FNBO for an amex with 9.9% for life. If they ever offer it as Visa or MC, I'll jump. Alternately, I'll wait until my credit is good enough to qualify for the USAA rate advantage at 6.9%. In the meantime, I'm an AU on my wife's WF card that is 7.9% and would be the card I used should emergency strike. I totally get the value of having a low APR card. I'm just not sure aiming for a low interest REWARDS card is realistic or necessary for most people.

You're right.

Message 32 of 42
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Roarmeister wrote:

My Cap One Platinum is 5.99% except it isn't a rewards card.  Most reward cards don't also have a low apr.

generally no but my GoRewards card from navy was 7.24% with 1.7% cash back which isn't too shabby

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 33 of 42
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@RonDawg wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@RonDawg wrote:

US Bank Cash + card 7.99%

Is this rate for cash and purchases?

Do you take out a lot of cash advances or something? 

Cash + is the name of the card. It is a 5% cat card like Freedom and More/IT

Oh, I know, it is just that the poster seemed only interested in APRs for cash advances....lol 99% of his posts ask about cash advances. 

Message 34 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:

@RonDawg wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@RonDawg wrote:

US Bank Cash + card 7.99%

Is this rate for cash and purchases?

Do you take out a lot of cash advances or something? 

Cash + is the name of the card. It is a 5% cat card like Freedom and More/IT

Oh, I know, it is just that the poster seemed only interested in APRs for cash advances....lol 99% of his posts ask about cash advances. 

Thank you for reading my posts. I believe it's more substantive to call attention to the original objective of Credit Cards than emphasize those cards sought as fashion accessories from the Big Banks which nearly wrecked our economy. Even if few comment but they consider the issues raised, the mission was accomplished. Terms & Conditions are important and if more of us paid attention to APRs would be driven down or out. I'm not writing for amusement, laughs, congrats, woot and etc. There are enough folks spiking their posts with inane syllables pretending to be active contributors IMO.

Message 35 of 42
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

My Blue Cash e. is 10.24%. discover offers me a 24 month balance transfer offer @ 7% with NO fee. it was 6 @ 18 months previously.

Now i dont currently have it, but i am pre approved for a unsecured line of credit at 9% apr. with a 25 af

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 36 of 42
ready13
New Contributor

The lowest percentage i found while researching was 8% and it was from Barclays ring mastercard and for the Discover card ( forgot which kind) as they also were superior on the time offered to pay back without any interest at 18 months was way longer than rest for both cards so i applied and own my little ring mastercard and am very pleased and very happy to be able to be getting so much love - will see when i use this feature for the cash advances and for the aility to transfer to other accounts because that is one of the things ring mastercard was trying to promote and on the application i was asked about these things as well as if i was wanting them to pay off an account right then and to give them the information to the account for them to cover it immediately as well as the feature to have them FedEx me the card in the mail at the time to use right away and have them pay the charges with my card --WOW AWESOME!!!

Message 37 of 42
ready13
New Contributor

I wouldnt know citi snubbed me and get for what :   having no revolving credit amounts on any of my cards (2) at time of submit. I then decided to submit my AMEX pre VIP reserved something or other i forgot but i was sooo in shock it counted down 30 seconds ...ding!  approved for the gold rewardws and that left me at an annual fee of i believe its195$$ and let me tell you the rewards i see are beyond awesome so far. Definately benefiting from them and glad it all worked out to the best because me carrying a balance in order to overide the balances i had just paid off as well as the clean report on lates etc and not to mention my superior score **bleep**?????   I THOUGHT CITI WAs TRYING TO PULL MY LEG ARE U SERIOUS????   wow not looking tOO GOOD

Message 38 of 42
ready13
New Contributor

WAIT STOP DONT GET JEALOUS ..i suffered went throug it for consecutive 12 months to WF to have them say they couldnt approve me at time of submit since i had forgot to check my accounts for enough money as i knew those people say no even after i double checked with banker but yes to clear and was told this through here and a few other reliable sources need to carry at least 500 in totaled accounts or in savings if have one to pass the immediate approval for WF they were the first of the chain of credit i was able to apply for given a high enough score to not have any of them affect me or the added balances now on my cards but who needs them is what i say figured an alternate and more fruitful way to conduce my finances to benefit me over WF woop woop see i love it when things work out this way just when i think i will eat it >>>GOD SHINES HIS LIGHT MY WAY to tell me he is just foolin' with me ha ha ha ....

Message 39 of 42
Sevenfeet
Regular Contributor

Chase Freedom MasterCard: 3.25% (prime)

<Drops mike and walks off>

Ok, it was product changed from a Chase Slate that shared this ridiculously low rate. But nevertheless, we can park debt on it like a home equity line of credit. It's easily my family's most valuable card.
Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.