cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAJOR Issue with Walmart Credit Card.. Anyone else?

tag
southernyankee716

MAJOR Issue with Walmart Credit Card.. Anyone else?

Hi there. I've been a lurker member for quite some time, but this is my first post. I'm hoping someone might be able to guide me in the right direction.

I am fairly new to credit. I irresponsibly used an Express credit card as a teenager and had a repossession from that time as well. Over the past two years, I have been slowly, but surely, re-building. I always pay early, sometimes I PIF, but I always pay over the minimum payment. I thought everything was going pretty well until, Walmart!

I have a Walmart store card with an $800 limit. During the holidays, I used a deferred interest promotion. However, the certificate did not scan, so the associate advised me to contact Walmart to have them manually input the promotion. They manually added the total from my purchase multiple times. By doing so, my credit reports show that my high limit is $867. My actual limit has not exceeded $650. Walmart said they would report the correct balance but have not yet done so.

Before I realized they made a reporting error, I requested a CLI. I was not immediately approved, but I thought I would check my account anyway. When I logged into my account, my first name was correct, but there was someone else's last name. I nearly had a panic attack- I thought surely someone had stolen my identity or gained access to my account. I contacted Walmart and was told that it was an internal error and it would be corrected immediately. They did make the correction on my account, but I pulled my credit report last night, and the name is now appearing on my credit report.

Has anyone ever experienced any issues with Walmart like this? I believe I have spoken to Walmart and GE but I'm not certain. I have never called them without continuously being transferred to another department. I thought I was on the right track but this has felt like a nightmare. What other mistakes can they make with a person's credit??? Can anyone give advice on where I could go to resolve this? Is this incorrect last name potentially harmful to my credit?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: MAJOR Issue with Walmart Credit Card.. Anyone else?

@southernyankee716 wrote:

Hi there. I've been a lurker member for quite some time, but this is my first post. I'm hoping someone might be able to guide me in the right direction.

I am fairly new to credit. I irresponsibly used an Express credit card as a teenager and had a repossession from that time as well. Over the past two years, I have been slowly, but surely, re-building. I always pay early, sometimes I PIF, but I always pay over the minimum payment. I thought everything was going pretty well until, Walmart!

I have a Walmart store card with an $800 limit. During the holidays, I used a deferred interest promotion. However, the certificate did not scan, so the associate advised me to contact Walmart to have them manually input the promotion. They manually added the total from my purchase multiple times. By doing so, my credit reports show that my high limit is $867. My actual limit has not exceeded $650. Walmart said they would report the correct balance but have not yet done so.

Before I realized they made a reporting error, I requested a CLI. I was not immediately approved, but I thought I would check my account anyway. When I logged into my account, my first name was correct, but there was someone else's last name. I nearly had a panic attack- I thought surely someone had stolen my identity or gained access to my account. I contacted Walmart and was told that it was an internal error and it would be corrected immediately. They did make the correction on my account, but I pulled my credit report last night, and the name is now appearing on my credit report.

Has anyone ever experienced any issues with Walmart like this? I believe I have spoken to Walmart and GE but I'm not certain. I have never called them without continuously being transferred to another department. I thought I was on the right track but this has felt like a nightmare. What other mistakes can they make with a person's credit??? Can anyone give advice on where I could go to resolve this? Is this incorrect last name potentially harmful to my credit?

Calm down, it'll be ok. Let's address your concerns 1 at a time

1. Credit reports show high limit as $867 when it never exceeded $650 - This is a non issue. Won't affect anything at all.

2. Contact the Credit reporting agency who has your name listed wrong and ask them to remove it, they will probily ask you to fax in a copy of your ID and SSN etc. This also shouldn't affect much if anything at all either.

3. Walmart being crazy - Eh, not a whole lot you can do about this one. 

Message 2 of 5
southernyankee716

Smiley Happy Thank you so much! You certainly have helped ease my mind. I really did feel like all of the hard work I had put in was all for nothing. I only assumed that by Walmart reporting me going over my balance, that lenders would view me as someone who is irresponsible, desperate, and unable to stay within my limit.

I understand that everyone makes mistakes, but these seem like mistakes that could have been avoided. Fingers crossed that the next time they make a mistake, it includes bumping my CL up a few thousand.

Message 3 of 5
newUser0
Established Contributor

@southernyankee716 wrote:

Don't be panic.

First thing I would do here is to call and make a name correction dispute with all the CB, where the name has been changed. They sometimes ask you to fax a copy of SSN/ DL. Just do that and then Call the Walmart (Credit Issuer) and verify that they will report correctly from the next time. Chill Easy :-)

Message 4 of 5
hilarybanks
Valued Member

I understand you being upset. That would freak me out! I had a problem once with my mother's medical bills (1 was a collection account) being reported on my credit. It was a bill for services rendered for me when I was a minor, but she was the guarantor, not me. It was removed, but it was a real headache.

Thanks for the head's up as well, I will be watching my Wal-Mart account closely.

Barclay Visa Fin $1500 | Wal-Mart Discover $2000 | AmEx BCE $3000 | Target $3000 | Slate Visa $4800 | Hyatt Visa $5000

Last App: 3/16/2014 (Current FICO 740 per 4/07/14 Barclay FICO)
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.