Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC World Elite/Visa Signature Hotel Benefits

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

MC World Elite/Visa Signature Hotel Benefits

As many of you know, MasterCard World Elite and Visa Signature have certain hotel benefits. Specifically, I was interested in booking a hotel that includes the following MC WE benefits:

• Best Available Price at time of reservation
  • Complimentary Breakfast for Two Daily
  • Upgrade at time of arrival, subject to availability
  • Early check-in, subject to availability
  • Special World Elite Amenities include: Access to the Club Intercontinental Lounge where you can enjoy complimentary premium amenities including hors d'oeuvres and cocktails, complimentary Internet and guaranteed 2 PM late check-out

Does anyone have experience taking advantage of credit card hotel benefits? If so, what kind of room upgrades have you received? Do you have to book through the concierge or is a standard online reservation okay?

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Re: MC World Elite/Visa Signature Hotel Benefits

World Elite MasterCard benefits are exclusively available for bookings made via the World Elite program, which has no site Smiley Sad The upgrades aren't too exciting, but are nice. If you book a cheap rate standard room, you may get a deluxe room which is a little bigger, higher floor, more convenient room location (helpful if huge hotel such as Vegas ones with mile long guest floors). Sometimes the rooms are literally just a better view, like a park/courtyard/lagoon vs a parking lot view. Ocassionally you will get a club room upgrade, with lounge access. The upgrades are strictly limited to one category up, so you won't get a suite unless the hotel decides to do it. One time I paid for a standard rate room and the hotel gave me a corner suite Smiley Wink That is very rare though. It was just a bigger room, with a small living room area and 1.5 bathrooms.

Message 2 of 7
bribro
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the input mxp114. So if I'm planning to book a large (~800 sq. ft.) suite at the InterContenental and their next biggest room is twice as expensive (the nicest suite they have), the chances of an upgrade are pretty slim? I'm trying to decide between the ~6000 in UR points vs. booking with my MC World Elite card to see if I get lucky with an upgrade to the baller suite.

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 3 of 7
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

I've found that if you want something enough, you really should just pay the money and reserve what you want. Upgrades are a nice thing when they happen, but shouldn't be relied on. I see too many pissed off babies on flyer talk who are upset when they're not upgraded to what they want (for free). If your attitude is "it'd be nice if but its not necessary" then book the smaller one. If you really want the bigger suite and that's what you're after, then pay the money and you won't be disappointed. Besides, I've found with upgrades they tend to treat their top tier elites better than some random coming in using FHR/LHR/Virtuoso. All it takes is one diamond or platinum member and your upgrade to that suite is as good as gone.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 4 of 7
bribro
Valued Contributor

Makes sense CreditScholar. The suite I booked is the one I want, I'm just wondering if I should forfeit my UR points and rebook with a MC World Elite card to see if I get bumped up to the REALLY expensive suite. If it's a real longshot, I won't bother.

Message 5 of 7
mxp114
Valued Contributor

@bribro wrote:

Thanks for the input mxp114. So if I'm planning to book a large (~800 sq. ft.) suite at the InterContenental and their next biggest room is twice as expensive (the nicest suite they have), the chances of an upgrade are pretty slim? I'm trying to decide between the ~6000 in UR points vs. booking with my MC World Elite card to see if I get lucky with an upgrade to the baller suite.

AFAIK when you book a high end suite and the next available is the top suite, you may get it depending on a few factors such as lenght of stay, which days of the week, etc. Basically if they think someone will book it, you're not gonna get it. I seem to get lucky with suites during low season and especially middle of the week arrival. Side note, I wish World Elite MC launched an online portal to book.

Message 6 of 7
bribro
Valued Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

@bribro wrote:

AFAIK when you book a high end suite and the next available is the top suite, you may get it depending on a few factors such as lenght of stay, which days of the week, etc. Basically if they think someone will book it, you're not gonna get it. I seem to get lucky with suites during low season and especially middle of the week arrival. Side note, I wish World Elite MC launched an online portal to book.

Got it. I'm booking this suite on a Saturday night for the weekend, so I'm guessing my chances are pretty slim. I'll probably just keep my UR points and run. Thanks again for the insight. And yeah, they really should create an online portal.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.