Moderator Emerita

Re: MERRICK BANK - Proceed with caution

Just a head's up...I'm watching this thread closely. Smiley Wink
Message 11 of 26
12njoy
Super Contributor

@young,

You are correct.  I called Equifax today and was told that it is affecting my score because of the date of last payment which brought the account delinquency status current (within the past 24 months which is the most heavily weighted period).  Me being impatient, I just wanted the date removed.  It's no big deal that it won't be.  I'll just have to live with it for the next year.  Since the other two CO's I had are gone, this was the sole account left.  I was trying to get the date deleted so that I could reapply for the Duck card.  That just won't happen now.  I've gotten a good array of cards with all three CO's reporting, so it's really not that big of a deal.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 12 of 26
12njoy
Super Contributor

@Lexie,

Am I violating some rule Smiley Surprised

___________ 12Njoy
Message 13 of 26
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 14 of 26
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Yeah, if they won't budge- no sense in wasting an app, but at least you know where you stand:-). Most of the credit game is a waiting game lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 15 of 26
12njoy
Super Contributor

@Lexie,

Thanks

@Young,

Yes it is.  Thanks

___________ 12Njoy
Message 16 of 26
12njoy
Super Contributor

Spoke with Merrick Bank's legal Dept. today to see if they would be willing to remove the "last payment date" if I paid the balance.  I was told that they would look into whether they could do this and get back to me.  It can be done, it's just if Merrick Bank has a policy against doing it.  If I can get the last payment date removed, I think I can get that elusive Duck card and then retire Smiley Wink  I'm not too hopeful though.  If anyone should know, I would think legal would, but they said they have to talk to the credit department.  Hopefully the cold hard cash converts them.  Of course, we'll have to get this all in writing if they agree.

___________ 12Njoy
Message 17 of 26
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Good Luck.  I have much respect for Merrick.  When I had their card, they used to give me CLIs, which was much more than Capone would do at the time. 

One thing I disagree with about Merrick is that they are a bit too narrow about unsecring their secured cards.

You would think at some point they would work with you about this, especially since you are offering up the full amount.  However, they can be quite strict on their policies and some of their policies don't really retain or attract some customers.  I would still be with them today if they would have simply unsecured my card and the card would have been used!In fact they would have made more money off my account if they had simply done what I asked, while a bit different since there is a moral issue here.  (Sorry, it is a moral issue, the OP did default.  Now wanting special treatment is kinda like asking not only to be forgiven, but to also give more respect than was earned.  Not that I wouldn't want to try it myself if I were in the same situation!Even the Prodigal son got special treatment when he returned.)

I personally don't see what is so special about the Duck or Beaver card, except easier approval and higher CLIs.  (IMO I have better cards than that right now, even if some of the limits are low.)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 18 of 26
12njoy
Super Contributor

@bernhardtra,

I respect your opinion and agree with you.  Unfortunately, there are time when we make mistakes that, if we had know the full effects of such mistakes, we would like to have never made.  In our society, businesses and people alike ask for preferential treatment all the time.  I do regret my decisions, but can only move forward at this point.  Big banks received a bailout and when big businesses declare bankruptcy, they are not despised like the ordinary person is.  With that being said, I will seek any redress possible to further my aims. 

___________ 12Njoy
Message 19 of 26
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Don't get me wrong, I would try to do the same!

I just think at some point we have to accept the moral reasoning of the other party, if it is justified.

Oh yes I would try the same thing, and I would push it as far as I could!!  After all, it never hurts to ask, ask again, ask a third time, etc........

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.