Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MESSAGE FROM KOHLS REGARDING CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

MESSAGE FROM KOHLS REGARDING CLI

I sent a message on Kohls credit card website asking if a hp or sp would be done for a CLI. Their response is below. Don't they have to by law tell me if they are doing a HP or SP when a consumer requests a CLI?  When I called customer service, they say it's going to be a HP. When I send a message, they don't tell me. Who at Kohls can give me a straight answer?

Thank you for contacting us regarding a credit limit increase. Credit history can be a factor in determining your eligibility for a Credit Line Increase. When processing your request, Kohl's may request your credit report, and this may appear as an inquiry on your file. I apologize, we are not able to advise you if a hard or soft inquiry is done.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MESSAGE FROM KOHLS REGARDING CLI

it always was for me soft pull ! my limit went from 300 to 1500 in less then a year without any hard pull !!they basically checked my EX with soft pull every 3 months  

Message 2 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP - if you're familiar with the letter of the law, specifically with the FCRA section 604, then you should be aware that there's no stipulation that differentiates which type of review will be used (HP or SP) with any customer-initiated extension of credit.  This is at the discretion of the lender.  It appears Kohl's provided you in their resonse the actual disclosure that a credit report would be accessed.

As far as Kohl's goes, and based on anecdotal information, it typically ends up being SP for the majority of folks whose accounts are older than 12 months, anything less would likely result in a HP but YEMV.  So, always assume HP.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had my Kohls account for over 3 years. Got an auto CLI the year after I opened the account. When I asked if another auto CLI would be done, Kohls said "Oh, we never do auto CLIs". Since I am getting different answers from Kohls methinks I need a number to the right dept to get a straight answer.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to know this as well. When I opened my Kohl's in July, I received a SP on EX and a HP on EQ. Would love an increase in January without a HP.
Message 5 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

They always tell you it might or it will be HP but it seems to never be hp... I have requested 3 imes now and while they were all denied, they were also NO HP!

Message 6 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had my Kohls account for over 3 years. Got an auto CLI the year after I opened the account. When I asked if another auto CLI would be done, Kohls said "Oh, we never do auto CLIs". Since I am getting different answers from Kohls methinks I need a number to the right dept to get a straight answer.

There is no direct number to their lending department.  You simply request the CLI, they provide a disclosure and hope for the best.  You should know that if you are requesting an extension of credit the lender reserves the right to review a copy of your CR, whther it's Kohls or Citi.

In my personal experience, both of my CLI requests have been SPs (Jul 2013 and Sep 2014).  I've had Kohls since 2010 before Capital One acquired them from Chase. 

Message 7 of 15
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

They always tell you it might or it will be HP but it seems to never be hp... I have requested 3 imes now and while they were all denied, they were also NO HP!

Right.  However, there are various threads on here and CB where folks were HP'd.  While the majority of the time it seems to be SP, one simply can't rule out that they can HP as well, so it's YEMV.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just remembered I have a 90 day fraud alert in my credit files..  Should I wait till the alert expires to request the CLI or go forward?

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There is no direct number to their lending department.  You simply request the CLI, they provide a disclosure and hope for the best.  You should know that if you are requesting an extension of credit the lender reserves the right to review a copy of your CR, whther it's Kohls or Citi.

In my personal experience, both of my CLI requests have been SPs (Jul 2013 and Sep 2014).  I've had Kohls since 2010 before Capital One acquired them from Chase. 

Is it true Capital One is skimpy on CLIs?  I currently have a 1k CL.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.