Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOving out Credit Card?

tag
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

MOving out Credit Card?

Ok so I am 19 years old. I already have Discover It, Chase Freedom, Walmart, BestBuy, Capital One QS No AF,American Express Everyday, and the Citi Simplicity. I need a good credit card that will be good for me because I have to choose one card to use until I have a better job and am done with school. I have also had a BoA Cash Rewards but I dont like BoA so I cancelled it last month and dont want anymore BoA products. So which credit card would be good for a 19 year old out on their own? Has to be a card I dont already have too!Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: MOving out Credit Card?

Do you *need* another card? Or do you *want* another card? Two very different things lol. Why can't you just use one of the ones you already have?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your scores? Any derogs? How long have you had your Citi card? The only suggestion I have is maybe the Citi Double Cash or Barclay's SallieMae. Although, you have a really good line up already, and if you have Discover's double cashback deal right now, then you wouldn't need Citi's DC until Discover's promo runs out.

Message 3 of 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:
Do you *need* another card? Or do you *want* another card? Two very different things lol. Why can't you just use one of the ones you already have?

+1

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think your lineup is pretty good already. Nevertheless, I'm a 19 y/o student as well, so I'll list some of the cards that I have considered/am considering:

Sallie Mae. 5% back on Amazon/groceries/gas. Great if you shop at Amazon, don't have a meal plan, and/or drive. 

Double Cash. Flat 2% cash back on all other purchases. However, you already have QS for 1.5% back and I assume you signed up for Discover's 2x promo which makes it effectively 2% card for the next 10 or so months, so DC might not be a great pick right now.

An airline card. If you fly b/w your home city and your school, a co-branded airline card may be a good option (even if it's just for the sign-up bonus). I sometimes fly Delta between LGA and DTW during school breaks, so I have considered PRG+Delta Gold. This would give me 50k MR + 30k Skymiles (have also seen targeted offers as high as 60k) + 2x$100 airline credit + $50 statement credit + free first checked bag for a year (cancel before the AF's hit). This is effectively 80k Skymiles, $250 credit, and free bags - more than enough for a few roundtrip domestic tickets between two domestic airports (which can be quite the savings for a college student). 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the QS and the potential Discover double cashback, I wouldn't recommend Citi DC. Sallie Mae may be good for you. However, if you're finding that you're getting small limits, you might want to call it quits for 6 months and let your accounts age,

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

I have Discover but I have had them since June 2014. Citi I got on April 30th 2015. I have a good line up but I want one more credit card to fill my BoA slot since I closed BoA last month. No negatives of any kind. AAOA 8 months oldest account is like 1yr and 2 months.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigalkescott514 wrote:

I have Discover but I have had them since June 2014. Citi I got on April 30th 2015. I have a good line up but I want one more credit card to fill my BoA slot since I closed BoA last month. No negatives of any kind. AAOA 8 months oldest account is like 1yr and 2 months.

With your Citi being so new, I'm not sure about the Double Cash now, they may approve you for it, but I'm not sure. You might have to wait a few more months to app for that one. But that still leaves you with the Sallie Mae, and I don't see any Barclay cards in your lineup, so that's a good one for you.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

I am trying to Garden my TU report since that one has taken alot of damage in this past year with all my cards. Also Sallie Mae is Barclay so is a CLI request with Barclay a hard or soft INQ

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigalkescott514 wrote:

I am trying to Garden my TU report since that one has taken alot of damage in this past year with all my cards. Also Sallie Mae is Barclay so is a CLI request with Barclay a hard or soft INQ

They will pull your TU for the app, and it is a HP for a CLI if you request it, but some people call to "get an APR reduction" and then ask if they are eligible for a SP CLI (there is a thread dedicated to this topic). If you don't want to take a TU pull, then you're probably better off just waiting a little bit and allowing all of your new accounts to age.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.