Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MR points seem super useless

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MR points seem super useless

@Anonymous wrote:
thank you. for a minute here i thought i went to a jeep forum making posts about how crappy a jeep is. dang.

You are welcome. Don't let it get to you and we want you to ask questions as we are ALL here to learn.  

Message 21 of 64
jsucool76
Super Contributor

MR points aren't my favorite, but they're far from useless.

like others have said their main advantage is transferring to travel partners. just because chase offers the ability to redeem for 1cpp cash back doesn't make amex worse for not doing that. most people who are knowledgeable about cards and points know it's a terrible idea to do that with either system.

also, the reason the UR points let you do that is because chase offers UR points on cards like the freedom. the freedom is a cash back card. it only becomes a "travel" card if you have the ink or csp.
Message 22 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
okay let's get this straight. i DID research and i know exactly what it's for. it's for travel, flights, stuff like that. so just because i say the program is weak doesn't mean i didn't research. even though UR are travel points, the UR still offer a better value rather it be for travel or cash.

and to the person that asked if i didn't know what the BCP was.... lol. why don't you read my post before embarrassing yourself on a thread.

So if you DID your research, why did you not apply for a Chase product?????

Message 23 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah you don't get the true benefit until you have the correct card. and i was simply just looking at redemption OPTIONS not to actually redeem for cash. obviously, this isn't a cash back card. i was just shocked at the principle of the situation.
Message 24 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

the app didn't show how to redeem for travel partners so i browsed the other options while i was there to pass some time
Message 25 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you use MR straight for any rewards you won't be looking at much. But if you transfer it to partners you will be looking at a lot.

British Airways Executive Club (avios) is the one I use, and every year they run bonus transfer for 20-50% extra.

I've seen potential rewards of 3 cents to 27 cents per avios point. One MR typically gets one avios. 27 cents per avios was seen on a US to EU flight upgrading from Economy to Business class.

If you travel it is worth a really nice amount. My dad has a AmEx Platinum and I have one too, and I use it as my primary card (until I get the PRG)... MR works out well for me.

UR also transfers so it works out well. But if you don't travel much you are better off getting a straight cashback card.

Message 26 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

balboa, you literally do not pay a bit of attention do you? please, do us all a favor and quit replying. that would be very beneficial. it's VERY obvious i own chase product based on what i have said AND in my signature rather you're on mobile or computer. use your head and back off please. your comments are not needed
Message 27 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

sutehk, the mobile app didn't show the travel partners, though i knew they match well overall with them. just gotta find the right match.
Message 28 of 64
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
okay let's get this straight. i DID research and i know exactly what it's for. it's for travel, flights, stuff like that. so just because i say the program is weak doesn't mean i didn't research. even though UR are travel points, the UR still offer a better value rather it be for travel or cash.

and to the person that asked if i didn't know what the BCP was.... lol. why don't you read my post before embarrassing yourself on a thread.

I think our confusion is a result of the lead to the thread being about the ED card, and MR points, then you segue into the BCP, a straight cash back card, not at all linked to the MR points, but say you are glad you didn't get that BCP? If you were disappointed in the cash value of MR points, the antidote is to get the BCP, the straight up cash back card, right?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 29 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

well i know the BCP is on a cash back program and not a MR program, but until i figure out how to make these MR points not so underwhelming i don't want another amex product. and i was gonna get the BCP later
Message 30 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.