cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MR vs UR vs TYP. Which do you favor? Why?

tag
JustcallmeTM
Regular Contributor

Re: MR vs UR vs TYP. Which do you favor? Why?

This is something I would like more detail on. For some reason everyone loves Chase UR, I dont see the big deal for it.  At first I wanted a CSP card but looking through the partners I didnt see a need, the only advantage is hotels. If people are only going to talk about the value of the points then its not even a real response.

I want to get the TY premier (public transportation/tolls etc.. counting 3x is key next to the 2x in entertainment/dining) to use in combination with my PRG/ED cards ( I rarely use the PRG, only for trips, ED is only for groceries). I needed to cover all my catergories without overlapping (even though some are). Entertainment catergory is important to me since I am a season ticket holder and go to alot of games, I am a member of the Bronx Zoo and Natural History Museum. I could close my Marvel and move the digital subscriptions since it counts as entertainment, I tend to spend more on entertainment, dining, groceries than most other catergories. I tend to not use my PRG at all unless I am going on a trip somewhere, but would prefer to just mothball this card for when I need it only in an emergency and not have it as part of my everyday rotation.

The reason why I want the TYP both Amex and Citi are partners with JetBlue/Delta/American Airlines/Hilton/Amtrak I use them more than any other and then Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Flying Blue and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club which opens up even more avenues. What I wanted is cards that I can move the points if needed from Amex or Citi to the partners so that if I needed to cap one in points I have MR and TYP points to tap from Looking through the list Citi and Amex has alot more partners in common than Chase.

For me at this point UR would only have a purpose for me with hotels, but the MR/TYP has a better combination using it in conjuction for Airlines and the UR has the advantage in only hotel choices in my opinion. Airline cc are mostly useless to me (except JetBlue) and Hotel cards have more value I tend to look at the MR/UR/TYP as cards to use for airline use more than hotels.

Message 11 of 37
redpat
Senior Contributor

@JustcallmeTM wrote:

This is something I would like more detail on. For some reason everyone loves Chase UR, I dont see the big deal for it.  At first I wanted a CSP card but looking through the partners I didnt see a need, the only advantage is hotels. If people are only going to talk about the value of the points then its not even a real response.

I want to get the TY premier (public transportation/tolls etc.. counting 3x is key next to the 2x in entertainment/dining) to use in combination with my PRG/ED cards ( I rarely use the PRG, only for trips, ED is only for groceries). I needed to cover all my catergories without overlapping (even though some are). Entertainment catergory is important to me since I am a season ticket holder and go to alot of games, I am a member of the Bronx Zoo and Natural History Museum. I could close my Marvel and move the digital subscriptions since it counts as entertainment, I tend to spend more on entertainment, dining, groceries than most other catergories. I tend to not use my PRG at all unless I am going on a trip somewhere, but would prefer to just mothball this card for when I need it only in an emergency and not have it as part of my everyday rotation.

The reason why I want the TYP both Amex and Citi are partners with JetBlue/Delta/American Airlines/Hilton/Amtrak I use them more than any other and then Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, Flying Blue and Virgin Atlantic Flying Club which opens up even more avenues. What I wanted is cards that I can move the points if needed from Amex or Citi to the partners so that if I needed to cap one in points I have MR and TYP points to tap from Looking through the list Citi and Amex has alot more partners in common than Chase.

For me at this point UR would only have a purpose for me with hotels, but the MR/TYP has a better combination using it in conjuction for Airlines and the UR has the advantage in only hotel choices in my opinion. Airline cc are mostly useless to me (except JetBlue) and Hotel cards have more value I tend to look at the MR/UR/TYP as cards to use for airline use more than hotels.

CSR now gives you 1.50x on their travel portal which can give you additional options.  I have used this option at times booking some flights.  I fly first class but pay for what coach would cost and use points for the remaining first class fare for personal travel.  Business travel is now all on my Amex Plat for 5x.

If you use your MR and UR point wisely and use amex plat concierge for aa pricing of some flights you don't have to fly coach again.  In addition, you get miles on your airline for booking reward flights w/ MR and UR flights, which gives you more options for booking flights between the three by either transfers or CCC portal bookings. 

I never had any use of TYP other than the 1.60x on AA which is going away.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 12 of 37
JustcallmeTM
Regular Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@JustcallmeTM wrote:

CSR now gives you 1.50x on their travel portal which can give you additional options.  I have used this option at times booking some flights.  I fly first class but pay for what coach would cost and use points for the remaining first class fare for personal travel.  Business travel is now all on my Amex Plat for 5x.

If you use your MR and UR point wisely and use amex plat concierge for aa pricing of some flights you don't have to fly coach again.  In addition, you get miles on your airline for booking reward flights w/ MR and UR flights, which gives you more options for booking flights between the three by either transfers or CCC portal bookings. 

I believe Citi rewards you with air miles for booking through there site using points also. Amex has AA as partners and Citi are partners to move points to, but since I live in NYC the main hubs are Delta/JetBlue for me, Chase doesnt have an agreement with either to move points into if need be only the flyblue partner. Flexibility is the main key way to get the points off and move them around and Citi and Amex has more partners in common than Chase. So if I wanted to fly delta/Jetblue or AA I can move points into my jetblue account or AA if needed to cap it off from both Citi and Amex.

My wife has the JetBlue/Delta/Hilton Amex card with 40k/60k/80k points and I have about 90k on MR, if I had the TYP I can get the max value for my points. I dont want to be stuck using Chase portal all the time for me persoanlly the only good use for the UR is strictly if I was going to use it for hotels, and even then I would rather get a SPG and hope everything merges and it would eliminate my need for another points card. I dont currently have any actual branded airline or hotel card on my profile.

For a family of 6 I dont believe in flying first class at all, it would cost more to fly than actually vacation in itself. For me cards have to tie in together they have to serve a purpose if not the card aint worth crap, and Im to the point of having a card for padding is pretty dumb and annoying. I prefer a specfic number of cards with good CL for its purpose and actually get used than sitting somewhere and remembering to use it or put some auto pay option on it.

Chase has its perks Im not knocking UR points, i just don't see a purpose when the only thing I see from them that I would use it for is hotel uses only, I would prefer to use Amex or Citi to book my airline due to the main airline hubs there

Message 13 of 37
redpat
Senior Contributor

@JustcallmeTM wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@JustcallmeTM wrote:

I believe Citi rewards you with air miles for booking through there site using points also. Amex has AA as partners and Citi are partners to move points to, but since I live in NYC the main hubs are Delta/JetBlue for me, Chase doesnt have an agreement with either to move points into if need be only the flyblue partner. Flexibility is the main key way to get the points off and move them around and Citi and Amex has more partners in common than Chase. So if I wanted to fly delta/Jetblue or AA I can move points into my jetblue account or AA if needed to cap it off from both Citi and Amex.

My wife has the JetBlue/Delta/Hilton Amex card with 40k/60k/80k points and I have about 90k on MR, if I had the TYP I can get the max value for my points. I dont want to be stuck using Chase portal all the time for me persoanlly the only good use for the UR is strictly if I was going to use it for hotels, and even then I would rather get a SPG and hope everything merges and it would eliminate my need for another points card. I dont currently have any actual branded airline or hotel card on my profile.

For a family of 6 I dont believe in flying first class at all, it would cost more to fly than actually vacation in itself. For me cards have to tie in together they have to serve a purpose if not the card aint worth crap, and Im to the point of having a card for padding is pretty dumb and annoying. I prefer a specfic number of cards with good CL for its purpose and actually get used than sitting somewhere and remembering to use it or put some auto pay option on it.

Chase has its perks Im not knocking UR points, i just don't see a purpose when the only thing I see from them that I would use it for is hotel uses only, I would prefer to use Amex or Citi to book my airline due to the main airline hubs there

Stick the kids in coach when or if they are old enough to be by themselves, you and DW go to first class, lol!

With four kids, you deserve a break!

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 14 of 37
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@yfan wrote:

That being said, if you have decided that you WILL go with a point currency, Amex has the largest number of partner airlines, but Chase's UR points are relatively easier to earn.

I'm showing Chase UR has the largest number of partner airlines at 7, Amex MR has 6.

Message 15 of 37
yfan
Valued Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

@yfan wrote:

That being said, if you have decided that you WILL go with a point currency, Amex has the largest number of partner airlines, but Chase's UR points are relatively easier to earn.

I'm showing Chase UR has the largest number of partner airlines at 7, Amex MR has 6.

I see at least 17 airline partners/programs for Amex here.

Message 16 of 37
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@JustcallmeTM wrote:

Chase UR isn't going to be the best system for everyone.  For my spend and the amount of bonus UR I can earn on additional cards like the Freedom and the Ink Cash (which have no annual fees), plus the ability to redeem those points at $0.015 per point on travel with the CSR (so at the minimum I'm getting back 1.5% on those points but pretty much all the URs I earn are bonus categories, which range from 2 URs/$ all the way up to 5 URs/$ - which means I'm typically getting 3% up to 7.5% back at the minimum).  Combine that with the fact that with partners (such as Hyatt where I can typically get between $0.02-$0.04/UR) I'm now getting between 2% and 20% back on my spend, depending on what bonus category that spend was in and how I redeem the points.

However, even with all that, I still put the majority of my spend on my straight 2% back Citi DC card.  Why?  Wouldn't it make more sense to put it on a Freedom Unlimited which earns 1.5% back but then at minimum you could get 2.25% by using the points through the CSR's travel portal?  For some it would, but for me I would be sitting on so many points (like I already am) that I would never use, and we all know it is typically a bad strategy to hoard mileage points as most of the time those points get devalued over time.

I say all that because while the Chase UR program seems to work well for me, it doesn't mean it will for you or someone else.  It all depends on your spend, on what you want to do with the points, do you like the transfer partners, do you want something that is easy to keep up with or want something more complex but can maybe earn more points.  It sounds like you have already figured out what works best for you and have given good reasons for it.

Message 17 of 37
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

@yfan wrote:

I see at least 17 airline partners/programs for Amex here.

I stand corrected, I guess the page I was looking at only listed 6 which I guess were the frequently most used ones.

Message 18 of 37
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I earn all three. I favor URs (Hyatt transfers), but for me the reward currency is a very small consideration. I put more emphasis on any card benefits relevant to a purchase.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 19 of 37
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

For myself I prefer MRs because I Fly Delta and MR cards work best for that. I went with the PRG because it has the most points you can earn on everyday purchases and I don't fly enough to take advantage of Platinum benefits. 

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.