cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MR vs UR vs TYP. Which do you favor? Why?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: MR vs UR vs TYP. Which do you favor? Why?

@sillykitty1 wrote:

A few people have mentioned the Delta partnership as being a selling point for the MR program.  For me, the fact that 1 MR = 0.75 Skymiles is a huge turn off.

Is this some announced upcoming nerf? I just logged into Amex and it shows 1000:1000 as a transfer option.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 31 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sillykitty1 wrote:

A few people have mentioned the Delta partnership as being a selling point for the MR program.  For me, the fact that 1 MR = 0.75 Skymiles is a huge turn off.

Those "few people" are incorrect Smiley Happy

MR is 1:1 (or 1000:1000 as it has on the website)

I use AmEx Travel portal since I have the Platinum Business, so it really doesn't matter what airline I fly... I just choose Delta because of the Crossover Rewards with SPG since I'm Platinum, when I rent with Enterprise I get Skymiles, and when I dine at a few of the resturants around my house (and on vacation), I get Skymiles. Life is easier when all programs build off each other. 

Message 32 of 37
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Is this some announced upcoming nerf? I just logged into Amex and it shows 1000:1000 as a transfer option.

Ok .... now I feel foolish.  I swear last time I checked it was 1000 MR = 750 Skymiles.  But you'e right, today it is 1000 = 1000.  Maybe I just imagined the poor transfer rate!

Sorry for the wrong info!

Message 33 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally UR for me. I do have over 100,000 MRs from my AMEX Platinum bonus but I earn URs much faster. Mainly becuase I have the CSP, Freedom and Freedome Unlimited. I can only earn 1 point per $1 with my Platinum so its useless. Plus I fly mainny United and sometimes Southwest so it works out well. Just mad I missed to CSR bonus but im buying a house!

Message 34 of 37
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just mad I missed to CSR bonus but im buying a house!

So I'm just thinking out loud here...

I realize that a lot of us missed the 100k UR points for the CSR Sign Up Bonus. I have also read a lot of threads of folks "waiting" for the next 100k sign up bonus from the lines of Amex and so forth.

I realize there's no hard cut answer to this, but how often do these promotions come around? How long does the cycle between 100k offerings run? 1,2,3 years?? 

Like I said, I know there's no clear cut and dry answer, since I'm sure Amex and other banks probably don't know when the next 100k rolls around until Amex marketing puts it into place.  

That being said, what's been the experience with 100k roll outs from the various banks? What kind of cycle "could" we anticipate? 

In your educated opinion, Is it feasible to believe the CSR could again bring out a 100k bonus? Im leaning towards not, since it was probably a new card, one time introductory offer. But I have very little to no experience with travel programs and sign up bonuses. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 35 of 37
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

just something to keep in mind Amex cards last time I checked are one bonus per lifetime, chase you can get multiple signup bonuses in a lifetime. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 36 of 37
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

Count me in for UR points. I've been trying to break into the coveted Chase UR program for almost 4 years. They finally graced me with their loving embrace last year with the CSR and 100k of those coveted UR points. MR points are lacking and never really got me anything of value other than gift cards. TYP didn't amount to much either. I think I did get enough to get a free hotel stay once.

I have researched tons of site that actually did mathematical breakdowns of each point system and UR points consistently came out on top. You should definitely start with UR points and if the competition decides to step up, then you may have more options. But right now, UR points are the best for many. Especially if you have the CSR. 

Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.