Did you mean: 

MS/ CHURN and Burn

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: MS/ CHURN and Burn

@Genkeim wrote:

Yeah I understand my opinion doesn't matter Smiley Happy

I figuered since I'm not talking about large amounts (under $1.5k/month) it may not raise any attention, I guess randomly cycling 2-3 cards would help make it not apear to be a pattern... Hmm dunno kinda feels icky thinking about trying to hide the pattern... Not trying to launder money or anything, just want to maximize my rewards on spending I'm going to spend anyway.

And risk/reward also includes subjective things like ickiness as well as  time taken.   So with a 1% card, you would gain less than $15 per month, so apart from any concerns/feeling deceitful etc, you would also need to make that the extra time taken to perform these steps is worth it.   And it may well not be.   That's why MS tends to involve much bigger amounts, to justify the effort.

Message 41 of 72
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Why not just get a Capital One Cash Business Card and get 2% cash back for all this google stuff.

I would never use a debit card because I want rewards for ALL my spending and if the bank has an issue, I'll move on to another card/bank that wants my spending.

If for whatever reason you are still concerned about high spending on your discover just go online and put in your income including your google ad selling income and then your account spenidng won't ever look excessive... but really we are talkning about juast $2k/month on an $8k limit, where you "can" run into issues is if you are spending say $20k a month and your limit is only $5k.

Message 42 of 72
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

My initial plan was to use a travel card and for some added MR/UR/miles. Granted it's not a lot (12k - 18k) a year but it does add up and I'd get some value out of my spending.

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 43 of 72
red259
Super Contributor

@Genkeim wrote:

I figuered since I'm not talking about large amounts (under $1.5k/month) it may not raise any attention, I guess randomly cycling 2-3 cards would help make it not apear to be a pattern... Hmm dunno kinda feels icky thinking about trying to hide the pattern... Not trying to launder money or anything, just want to maximize my rewards on spending I'm going to spend anyway.

I only do it to meet initial spends, although there are others who do it year round. To give you some perspective when I asked on other forumns if I could do 2 to 2.5k a month on a card people said that amount should not be a problem and so far it has not been. I will only do like 1k a month with amex though as they are extra sensitive. Keep in mind I also use these cards for other charges, so there is a lot of activirty. The banks are fully aware of what is going on. They are not stupid and they choose to allow it. However, when someone runs tens of thousands through in MS then the bank gets upset because that is just pure abuse. I would think that the x5 cards with the bonuses would be even more prone to review than the 1 point per dollar cards.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 44 of 72
red259
Super Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Why not just get a Capital One Cash Business Card and get 2% cash back for all this google stuff.

I would never use a debit card because I want rewards for ALL my spending and if the bank has an issue, I'll move on to another card/bank that wants my spending.

If for whatever reason you are still concerned about high spending on your discover just go online and put in your income including your google ad selling income and then your account spenidng won't ever look excessive... but really we are talkning about juast $2k/month on an $8k limit, where you "can" run into issues is if you are spending say $20k a month and your limit is only $5k.

I thought this had been settled already. I think its foolish to be using your debit card for google. Biz expenses or not at the amounts your talking Discover isn't going to care. How can they even be sure they are business expenses? If you qualify for a biz card then that is best, because it just makes your life easier when doing the end of year accounting etc. However, if you don't want the inq or your not able to qualify for a decent business card I would just use the discover until you can make the switch. 

;
Message 45 of 72
newUser0
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Genkeim wrote:

I only do it to meet initial spends, although there are others who do it year round. To give you some perspective when I asked on other forumns if I could do 2 to 2.5k a month on a card people said that amount should not be a problem and so far it has not been. I will only do like 1k a month with amex though as they are extra sensitive. Keep in mind I also use these cards for other charges, so there is a lot of activirty. The banks are fully aware of what is going on. They are not stupid and they choose to allow it. However, when someone runs tens of thousands through in MS then the bank gets upset because that is just pure abuse. I would think that the x5 cards with the bonuses would be even more prone to review than the 1 point per dollar cards.  

+1

Even I follow this rule. Use MS to meet the min spend quickly. 

Doing 1-2K per month and alternating various cards for diversity should be OK.

I have read some people did like $50K per month, and chase closed ALL relationship with her. 

I personally feel, $50K per month is way too much.. 

Message 46 of 72
red259
Super Contributor

@newUser0 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Genkeim wrote:

+1

Even I follow this rule. Use MS to meet the min spend quickly. 

Doing 1-2K per month and alternating various cards for diversity should be OK.

I have read some people did like $50K per month, and chase closed ALL relationship with her. 

I personally feel, $50K per month is way too much.. 

Yea, if your doing 50k a month then your going to get shutdown sooner or later. Also, keep in mind that if you have a low reported income and you do too much MS you may trigger an FR. Not because of MS, but because they will wonder how you can charge soo much on your current income. 

;
Message 47 of 72
enharu
Super Contributor

Most of the time, up to 5k a month on a card won't get you in trouble. However, like longtimelurker said, people have gotten into trouble before for lower levels of MS.

And just to be on the safe side, I think its best to avoid MS on any Amex issued cards, especially if the bluebird account itself is issued under your SSN as well. It's just too easy for them to link everything up to see the big picture.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 48 of 72
red259
Super Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Most of the time, up to 5k a month on a card won't get you in trouble. However, like longtimelurker said, people have gotten into trouble before for lower levels of MS.

And just to be on the safe side, I think its best to avoid MS on any Amex issued cards, especially if the bluebird account itself is issued under your SSN as well. It's just too easy for them to link everything up to see the big picture.

+1. The downside is its soo tempting to do MS on the PRG in order to reach that 30k annual bonus. 

;
Message 49 of 72
newUser0
Established Contributor

I really have no way of spending 25K on chase United card by normal use. I need to meet this amount to get a bonus points of 10K, which will justify the fees.

Any  BEST ideas on how best to spread this out through out the year?

Message 50 of 72
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.