cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY AMERICAN EXPRESS CHARGE CARD ONLY 2 MONTHS OLD HAVE TO PAY MEMBERSHIP FEE AM I GETTING SCREWED

tag
tray
Valued Contributor

MY AMERICAN EXPRESS CHARGE CARD ONLY 2 MONTHS OLD HAVE TO PAY MEMBERSHIP FEE AM I GETTING SCREWED

Hi everyone I noticed on this month's statement on my amex charge card account their is a membership fee for $114 I spoke with a amex customer rep who stated all yearly membership fees start in December can anyone tell me is this true.  I thought I would have to pay the annual pay next October as my charge card is only 2 months old.  The rep also stated my fee is being prorated as this is why it is not $125.00 which is the gold card annual fee.  Is there anyone who has a new charge card and is experiencing this also.  Can anyone enlighten me on the way annual fees are charged.  Thanks for any information. 

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jaysdad2k
Frequent Contributor

Re: MY AMERICAN EXPRESS CHARGE CARD ONLY 2 MONTHS OLD HAVE TO PAY MEMBERSHIP FEE AM I GETTING SCREW

That CSR doesn't seem to be correct.

When I got my Gold in May 2008, I went through the regular Amex site. I think it was July when the $125 fee showed up, and I PIF'ed it immediately. I then called Amex and told them that it was my very first call to CS and I had a problem. I said I thought the fee was waived the first year. He asked me what website I had gone through, and I told him that I had looked at several but I had applied through the regular Amex site.

I told him I had already paid the fee, but I really thought it was waived the first year. He put me on hold, and came back and said, "We want you to have an excellent experience with AMEX, so we are crediting back the fee." Within a day it was credited.

It may be worth a shot to wait until Monday when the regulars are at work and try this approach.

Message Edited by jaysdad2k on 12-19-2009 08:50 PM
"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice."- Anton Chekhov
4/11 TU 743 4/11 EQ 763
Message 2 of 4
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: MY AMERICAN EXPRESS CHARGE CARD ONLY 2 MONTHS OLD HAVE TO PAY MEMBERSHIP FEE AM I GETTING SCREW

Annual fees are paid in advance, so if you weren't already charged for a fee when you signed up this is what it is for.  Sounds like it got lost somehow in the AMEX system and they are not going to charge you for the two months already gone by.
Message 3 of 4
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

I received my Gold card in January 09.  In the T&C it said the first YEAR's fee would be waived.  It's now December.  I just called to verify and was assured that the annual fee will be added in January.  It shouldn't matter what month you received your card.  A year is a year, not a prorated part of the year.

While it's true that the annual fee is paid in advance, the first year is waived so the OP's situation makes no sense at all.

Call back Monday, as suggested.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.