Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Established Member
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎01-25-2008
0

Re: MY GOAL: Get The AmEx Centurion Card - MY PLAN: read in article


O6 wrote:

partsworks wrote:

 

There are a lot easier ways to max your spending out than buying and selling crap on ebay and with a lot less risk.

Buy dollar coins from the US mint through their direct ship program and deposit them in your account. The shipping is free, they count as a purchase so you earn cash back.

Google it and you will find mega threads on fatwallet and flyertalk that outline the deal.

I hope you have been using an Amex card that offers cash back like the blue cash card.


Actually, it usually does not count as a purchase, but as a cash advance.  Both Chase and AmEx list the purchase as a cash-like transaction and not only do not award any points, but start charging interest as of the transaction date.

 

USAA does not list the purchase as a cash-like transaction, but they do not award any points because the transaction is flagged as "government services."


Definitely not true. Show me just one instance of someone reporting that their purchase was coded as a cash advance in the thousands of posts about this program on Flyertalk or Fatwallet. You wont find one. It may happen in the future but it has not happened so far. You are definitely making things up here. All my purchases on Chase cards and Amex are listed as "US MINT" count as a purchase and receive rewards. I haven't used my USAA or Penfed cards for this because the rewards suck but again, if what you are saying is true it would have surfaced by now.

Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,626
Registered: ‎10-13-2009
0

Re: MY GOAL: Get The AmEx Centurion Card - MY PLAN: read in article

[ Edited ]

partsworks wrote:

O6 wrote:

partsworks wrote:

 

There are a lot easier ways to max your spending out than buying and selling crap on ebay and with a lot less risk.

Buy dollar coins from the US mint through their direct ship program and deposit them in your account. The shipping is free, they count as a purchase so you earn cash back.

Google it and you will find mega threads on fatwallet and flyertalk that outline the deal.

I hope you have been using an Amex card that offers cash back like the blue cash card.


Actually, it usually does not count as a purchase, but as a cash advance.  Both Chase and AmEx list the purchase as a cash-like transaction and not only do not award any points, but start charging interest as of the transaction date.

 

USAA does not list the purchase as a cash-like transaction, but they do not award any points because the transaction is flagged as "government services."


Definitely not true. Show me just one instance of someone reporting that their purchase was coded as a cash advance in the thousands of posts about this program on Flyertalk or Fatwallet. You wont find one. It may happen in the future but it has not happened so far. You are definitely making things up here. All my purchases on Chase cards and Amex are listed as "US MINT" count as a purchase and receive rewards. I haven't used my USAA or Penfed cards for this because the rewards suck but again, if what you are saying is true it would have surfaced by now.


 

You can believe what you want on your websites.  I have bought from the US Mint and USAA categorizes it as "government services" and there are no rewards points. 

 

I have also purchased US Mint Direct Ship Rolls and AmEx and Chase mark them as "cash-like transactions" and not only are there no points, but they charged me about $2 in interest.

 

I thought the reason you haven't used PenFed is because they cut you off at the knees already.

Message Edited by O6 on 12-07-2009 05:33 AM
IAALBNYL
Established Member
Posts: 35
Registered: ‎01-25-2008
0

Re: MY GOAL: Get The AmEx Centurion Card - MY PLAN: read in article


O6 wrote:

partsworks wrote:

O6 wrote:

partsworks wrote:

 

There are a lot easier ways to max your spending out than buying and selling crap on ebay and with a lot less risk.

Buy dollar coins from the US mint through their direct ship program and deposit them in your account. The shipping is free, they count as a purchase so you earn cash back.

Google it and you will find mega threads on fatwallet and flyertalk that outline the deal.

I hope you have been using an Amex card that offers cash back like the blue cash card.


Actually, it usually does not count as a purchase, but as a cash advance.  Both Chase and AmEx list the purchase as a cash-like transaction and not only do not award any points, but start charging interest as of the transaction date.

 

USAA does not list the purchase as a cash-like transaction, but they do not award any points because the transaction is flagged as "government services."


Definitely not true. Show me just one instance of someone reporting that their purchase was coded as a cash advance in the thousands of posts about this program on Flyertalk or Fatwallet. You wont find one. It may happen in the future but it has not happened so far. You are definitely making things up here. All my purchases on Chase cards and Amex are listed as "US MINT" count as a purchase and receive rewards. I haven't used my USAA or Penfed cards for this because the rewards suck but again, if what you are saying is true it would have surfaced by now.


 

You can believe what you want on your websites.  I have bought from the US Mint and USAA categorizes it as "government services" and there are no rewards points. 

 

I have also purchased US Mint Direct Ship Rolls and AmEx and Chase mark them as "cash-like transactions" and not only are there no points, but they charged me about $2 in interest.

 

I thought the reason you haven't used PenFed is because they cut you off at the knees already.

Message Edited by O6 on 12-07-2009 05:33 AM

If that ever happened I'm sure it would have been reported by now by at least ONE of the THOUSANDS of people who post in the direct ship threads. You must be special or you are just doing something wrong. I hope what you claim eventually ends up being the truth though.

 Penfed cut the Cl on one of my 45K cards,  I still have the other one and it still isn't worth using.

Highlighted
Moderator Emerita
Posts: 3,091
Registered: ‎08-09-2008
0

Re: MY GOAL: Get The AmEx Centurion Card - MY PLAN: read in article

[ Edited ]

This thread is locked.

Message Edited by LilMirth on 12-11-2009 07:54 PM

-------------------------------------------


Friendly, Supportive & Respectful


Understanding Your FICO Score  |  Credit Scoring 101  |  Common Abbreviations  |  FTC: FCRA Links  |  FTC: FDCPA Links  |  Opt-Out  |  State Resources


"However gradual may be the growth of confidence, that of credit requires still more time to arrive at maturity” ~ Benjamin Disraeli

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.