Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's AmEx

tag
BruinTheNursePractitioner
Established Member

Macy's AmEx

Hello!

I have had my Macy's Store card for four months now.  It was first at $800.  Now last month I asked for an increase, now it's $1.2K.  

How do I get the Macy's AmEx?

Chase Slate- 33K |AmEx Clear Card-2K | AmEx BCE-2K | Chase Freedom-1.3K | BoA Travel Rewards Visa-10K | BoA Accelerated Rewards AmEx-20K | Citibank Dividend Visa-2.1K | U.S. Bank-600 | Macy's Store Card-1.8K| Barclays MC-2.5K| Discover IT-17K | Chase CSP-1K | Banana Republic Visa-10K | BoA Better Balance Rewards MC-2.5K | Chevron Visa- 1.5K | EBay MC- 2.5K | Citi Diamond Preferred-2K | Citi American Airlines MC- 6.3K | Discover IT Chrome-2.5K| BoA Susan G. Komen MC-8.5K

TOTAL LINES: 20 |TOTAL UNSECURED CREDIT: $125,100
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Macy's AmEx

You can either chat online or ring in to have them put in the application for the American Express branded one. Keep in mind it will be a hard inquiry(some people have escaped that) and it will be a completely new credit line. You can use the new card in the store and out of the store and it will automatically serperate the charges, but it still counts as two accounts.

On another board someone who used to work there said that your score must be at least 700 on Experian to get approved for the American Express version. How long you've had the store card or the limit on are irrelevant as they don't look at the store card history when approving for this one.

Message 2 of 21
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@navigatethis12 wrote:

You can either chat online or ring in to have them put in the application for the American Express branded one. Keep in mind it will be a hard inquiry(some people have escaped that) and it will be a completely new credit line. You can use the new card in the store and out of the store and it will automatically serperate the charges, but it still counts as two accounts.

On another board someone who used to work there said that your score must be at least 700 on Experian to get approved for the American Express version. How long you've had the store card or the limit on are irrelevant as they don't look at the store card history when approving for this one.

+1

Scores north of 700 would be optimal but you also need a decent CR profile to be considered.  If approved, as mentioned above, separate payment due dates and payment addresses would correspond for each account.

Message 3 of 21
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

What happens if you don't already have a Macy's account? If I were just to apply for the Macy's AMEX, would it be two separate trade lines? Or is that only when you first have a store card and then request the AMEX version…?
Message 4 of 21
resilient
Established Contributor

@lhcole77 wrote:
What happens if you don't already have a Macy's account? If I were just to apply for the Macy's AMEX, would it be two separate trade lines? Or is that only when you first have a store card and then request the AMEX version…?

I didn't have a Macy's account when I apped last month, and was approved for the store and AmEx. The brochure says two separate trade lines. So far, my AmEx line hasn't appeared on my CR, but my store line has. I have the AmEx in hand, just waiting for it to post. Gonna drop my AAoA again Smiley Sad

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 5 of 21
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@resilient wrote:

@lhcole77 wrote:

I didn't have a Macy's account when I apped last month, and was approved for the store and AmEx. The brochure says two separate trade lines. So far, my AmEx line hasn't appeared on my CR, but my store line has. I have the AmEx in hand, just waiting for it to post. Gonna drop my AAoA again Smiley Sad

This is correct. To be considered for the American Express you must apply in the shop. You cannot apply online and obtain the American Express branded card. You cannot just apply for the American Express one; when you apply you get considered for it first and if not approved they may just approve the store card. You cannot have an American Express without the shop card. I'd make sure your report is in the best condition so you can get both accounts now, instead of later.

Message 6 of 21
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Thanks for this info. I have my eyes on this...but will be waiting until 2014 for sure.
Message 7 of 21
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Once this CSR told my mom that she was approved for the AMEX upgrade after reviewing her acct, and after waiting for the "new card" to arrive since thats what the rep had told her, she instead got a denial letter hahha it was funny. Dont expect an instant decision since you have to wait a billing cycle for either denial letter or new card.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 8 of 21
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

Once this CSR told my mom that she was approved for the AMEX upgrade after reviewing her acct, and after waiting for the "new card" to arrive since thats what the rep had told her, she instead got a denial letter hahha it was funny. Dont expect an instant decision since you have to wait a billing cycle for either denial letter or new card.

True, it's like they only do it once per month. I was told up to 30 days, but I must have gotten in close to the time they do it because it was I believe within one week.

Message 9 of 21
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Are there extra discounts or perks associate with the Amex vs store card?

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.