Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Amex Upgrade Soft or Hard?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's Amex Upgrade Soft or Hard?

Hey there,

I've had my card over a year now and I want to see if I qualify for the Amex version of the Macy's Card. I've always wanted an Amex (even if it isn't the real thing) and another line of credit wouldn't hurt. Now I called the credit department and they assured me that it wasn't going to affect my credit file, but they asked for my yearly income again and that sounded to me like another application so I respectfully declined.

Just wondering, is what he said true? I really don't want anothe inquirey hit over this. I'd rather apply for a new card, which I don't want to now, than take the hit for a Macy's I'd hardly use.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Macy's Amex Upgrade Soft or Hard?

It wasn't upgrade. They will open new separate Amex account if you get approved. It means you would have Macys Amex and Macy store card with different credit lines. They pulled EXP. 

Ron.

Message 2 of 10
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

they told me to qualify for an upgrade to the amex card I had to have an annual spending at macys of at least $500

amazon
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ron1 wrote:

It wasn't upgrade. They will open new separate Amex account if you get approved. It means you would have Macys Amex and Macy store card with different credit lines. They pulled EXP. 

Ron.

I know its a seperate account, but what you're saying is they have to do a hardpull? Also does it backdate with my store card?

If it is, the rep basically lied to me.

Message 4 of 10
Ron1
Super Contributor

No, I don't think so. It doesn't backdate to Macys Store Card.

Ron.

Message 5 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

It is a Hard Pull

It is a new application

It is it's own CL that will report CL to credit vs store that just shows charge account and no CL

Im unsure about backdate because we had Amex from the beginning

and if you don't spend enough in store to get you to the black card I'm not sure the rewards would really be worth it for you to take the whole inq and new account, you would be better off applying somewhere else and also you REALLY don't want to carry a balance at 24.5% interest speaking from experience!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

It is a Hard Pull

It is a new application

It is it's own CL that will report CL to credit vs store that just shows charge account and no CL

and if you don't spend enough in store to get you to the black card I'm not sure the rewards would really be worth it for you to take the whole inq and new account, you would be better off applying somewhere else and also you REALLY don't want to carry a balance at 24.5% interest speaking from experience!

You're a life savor. I'll just go ahead and ignore it. I didn't want the inquiry hit anyways, but I thought they would just soft inquiry it for me. I can't believe the representative lied to me like that, saying how it won't affect my score at all. Thanks for the help! Just wish they gave it to me since the beginning.

Message 7 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

It is a Hard Pull

It is a new application

You're a life savor. I'll just go ahead and ignore it. I didn't want the inquiry hit anyways, but I thought they would just soft inquiry it for me. I can't believe the representative lied to me like that, saying how it won't affect my score at all. Thanks for the help! Just wish they gave it to me since the beginning.

lied to you might be a little harsh... a large number of front line reps don't know what util is, what hard vs soft are, and what multiple lines can do to you and therefore probably don't bother to learn more about it or learn the policies of the bank they work for and in paticular with Macy's they have done a LOT of changes to the Macy's Credit Cards and I wouldn't be surprised if employees at the front line level were probably sent a memo and not actually trained on what that means for them when talking to customers and what it means for customers when doing things they use to do with ease and no credit checks.

That's why it's always good to start the research here on the boards before talking to the bank. not trying to say these reps are stupid or anything, hope it doesn't come across that way just lack of upper level management I think sometimes

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a hard inq. in march of this year I request to be upgrade to the amex and I was decline I was so mad. Because I just to used my macys card every month spending more than 200 and paying in full and the upgrade was decline. 

Message 9 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It is a hard inq. in march of this year I request to be upgrade to the amex and I was decline I was so mad. Because I just to used my macys card every month spending more than 200 and paying in full and the upgrade was decline. 

Your Macy's store card use is likely to have VERY little effect of approval on the Amex account since it's a totally seperate account with seperate CL. Store card use to get approved in the upper 500's and I think you need to be in the upper 680-700's for Amex approval.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.