cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Amex and New Cards WITHOUT AMEX!!

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Macy's Amex and New Cards WITHOUT AMEX!!

Today I receive a thick 6x9 type envelope and I thought it was some of the "we are sorry" rewards and I open to see all this stuff about CONGRADUATIONS ELITE... etc. and I flip to Cards and it is the old (maybe still current) flashy mirror looking STORE CARD!!

So of course Im like running for a computer to see if I log in and activate if it's going to pull up another account (I don't know how or why but I can dream for a minute!)

Anyway can't see anything online that says issues, so call to activate to only go through all steps and it says already activated, so I call and go through promps for current balance and stuff and it's the same account!

So of course this is the part where it will probably go down hill at a rapid pace... Im on hold with CS right now and I have already found myself on a LONG hold after less than 1 minute into call... and not sure he is "Checking" the correct thing for why he put me on hold!

I will update!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Macy's Amex and New Cards WITHOUT AMEX!!

I have no idea what I just read.

Somebody, please, help.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 2 of 13
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

I have no idea what I just read.

Somebody, please, help.

+1

I'm confused? You want this to be a new Macy's account? You already have a Macy's Amex and recieved a new card? The new card isn't an Amex? I think you got excited and rushed through this story. 

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's pulls an updated CR on renewal of cards with the Amex/Visa logo. If your score is low they will replace with a standard Macy's store card without the added features of Amex/Visa. And they won't budge no matter how much you spent in the store last year. Just my experience.

Message 4 of 13
jsucool76
Super Contributor

So did creditaddict get downgraded to regular store card or upgraded to amex?
Message 5 of 13
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
So did creditaddict get downgraded to regular store card or upgraded to amex?

Sounds like a downgrade.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 6 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Macy's pulls an updated CR on renewal of cards with the Amex/Visa logo. If your score is low they will replace with a standard Macy's store card without the added features of Amex/Visa. And they won't budge no matter how much you spent in the store last year. Just my experience.

NAILED IT!

Sorry you all for confusion, I typed it out really fast while I was on hold.

They did a review of the September renewal and closed out the Amex "AT RENEWAL"

Citi is so weird but at least this part is consident... WAY WAY long ago I had a Citi Card with a $21,000 Credit Line I think and they sent a letter that it would be closed upon renewal... The Funny or Crazy part, My card was not due to Expire for like 15-18 months and they literally never lowered the Credit Line and Never closed it before Exp. and at time of the letter I think I was under $14k bal or something...

Anyway, yes they reviewed and closed the amex effective Sept. and issued new Elite Store Card.

Which I guess once again seems silly.

Fill in more later.

Message 7 of 13
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

So they closed the Amex card at renewal and gave you another card (same acc?) just for the store. Did the CL increased/decreased?

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 8 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Okay so quick history - I was good and bad all at once with Macy's Store and Visa at time and now Amex.  it's all been posted before up to probably last year.  I am additional Joint after opening month after.

Approved in Store instantly Mid 2008 $1k Store & $2k Visa

Instantly upon opening charged roughly $1200... Made  a payment on spot for the entire purchase and turned around and "tried" (we didn't know the limits until this charge) So it was declined for the $1300-$1500 range charge... after both sales rep and myself talking to them in store to try to get this purchase approved they finally said we will approve the charge BUT we will not increase the credit line... Okay no biggie, Macy's Store doesn't charge ( at least then) to go over your credit line.  So basically FATTY discounts with brand new account plus sales and stuff and ELITE in less than an hour!

Okay now this is the fun part - "Guideline Credit Line Requests" were every 3 months for both store and Visa and ALWAYS SP!

3 months Store $2k I think maybe higher and Visa to $5k I think

6 Months Store to $5k and Visa to $10k - They typically offered $700-$1400 GLI back then, I always countered back that I wanted double and I always got it!

9 months Store (Think this was the only time I didn't ask for the full $10k, I asked for $7500 I think and the rep was like "Why do you want that high, you currently have a $0 balance) I simply said because I like high Credit Lines! so she puts me on hold for a few and then came back and sounded shocked because she kind of acted like $7500 might be a strech and she was like, well the system is actually saying you could go to $10k if you want to" YES!

And the Visa side I was at $10k and was not sure I was even going to ask about CLI because I was sitting at about a $9700 Balance and so when I said what about Visa, she said looks like the system gave you $2k increase last week... so I quitely finished call and hung up!

and finally 1 year GLI on store to $10,700 (the usual $700) and I didn't ask for more because my Visa was now sitting at about $12k! Terrible!

So at some point right in this time frame Macy's decided to make the Visa 24.5% from the 16% it was to match store card.  $12k at 24.5% didn't work for me and made payments over $400... so I asked for a payment plan and was issued a closed Visa at 16% and payment like $200ish.  Fast forward about 3 months and was actually able to PIF... oh but the part I was not expecting, took the payment plan for Visa and that closed but I was still able or already had I think $3600 Furniture and the $10,700 Store and those were left alone!

So little later after paying Visa off, requested that it be opened again.... Kind of to my surprise it was opened again for $500 Amex... then up to $2k at about 4 months.

Now we are up to last 3 months or so... Amex was CLD from $2k to $1900 (balance around $1800)

and then we have the letter yesterday to close Amex in Sept. but once again I have the $10,700 Store Card limit still open and I have at least $5k Furniture line open with $0 balance and the closure of the Amex is not going to change those 2 accounts!

Did I cover it all!? LOL

Message 9 of 13
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

Wow. Sounds like you've had fun with Macy's! I would just be happy to have the elite store card. To me the Amex doesn't offer the best in terms of rewards anyways so you shouldn't be missing out on much.
EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.