Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Amex upgrade?

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Macy's Amex upgrade?

Seen some forums about this that were dated back in 2012 and wanted to see if anyone ever had success with this recently? How long was your account open? Was it automatic or initiated? What were your scores?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Macy's Amex upgrade?

It's not technically and "upgrade" since individuals have a choice to apply for the store version or the AMEX version (i.e. in-store).  It's simply an extension of the existing retail account that would provide the AMEX network to use outside of Macy's.  It is not automatic.  IIRC, some folks can qualify as early as the first month they're approved for the store version.  As long as your profile is strong enough, you can contact them to see if you can submit a request for the Macy's AMEX. 

Message 2 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
Seen some forums about this that were dated back in 2012 and wanted to see if anyone ever had success with this recently? How long was your account open? Was it automatic or initiated? What were your scores?

Yes, completed a store card > Amex conversion via chat last year, generally requires FICO score >700.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

Yes, completed a store card > Amex conversion via chat last year, generally requires FICO score >700.

Hi!  Do you happen to know who Macy's pulls?

Message 4 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@score_building wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

Hi!  Do you happen to know who Macy's pulls?

They've historically been strict EX not sure if they still are.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I misread the OP, so now I get that this isn't what was being said, but it's sort of related so I'll ask here: Do dept. stores, etc. re-open cards that are closed for non-use, and if so, do they retain their original date? My Macy's card was opened 2002, last activity 2007. I can see now that even as a small (then) dept store card, keeping that old date around is helpful. When I'm done with my current HELOC (or refi...but at this point HELOC) project, would it be good to try to get this re-opened? OR would they just treat it as a new account?

Message 6 of 12
psm
Contributor

Is it a new account or a product change?
08-2022: EQ 830, TU 834, EX 832 - total credit limit 230,000+
Message 7 of 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

@psm wrote:
Is it a new account or a product change?

Neither. I think you have 2 accounts. But I read. That may change.  Ok now for sure. Two billings. Currently. 

Message 8 of 12
psm
Contributor

I mean to terms of your CR. Does the Amex report as a new line or with the open date of your Macy's card originally.
08-2022: EQ 830, TU 834, EX 832 - total credit limit 230,000+
Message 9 of 12
taxi818
Super Contributor

@psm wrote:
I mean to terms of your CR. Does the Amex report as a new line or with the open date of your Macy's card originally.

Wow good question. Not sure. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.