Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Amex

tag
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

Macy's Amex

Just curious to know if the Macy's Amex reports a CL? Since their store no longer reports a CL I was just wondering about the Amex. Although Macy's is one of my favorite stores, I'm really thinking of closing my store card since it doesn't report a CL, sucks to have a card with a $3000 cl and can't get the benefit of it posting on my CR's

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
In the garden until 10/2014
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Macy's Amex

Yes, it does report CL. I don't know you can keep Macy Amex if you close Macys store card.  Why do you want to close it anyway?

Ron.

Message 2 of 8
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

I was going to close it because it's not helping my credit profile, I have a $3000cl on my store card but it's not helping my score any since it doesn't report. I was just wondering about the Amex, I already have 2 Amex cards so I don't need another.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | AMEX Zync NPSL | AMEX Delta Platinum $4000 | Travelocity Amex $4000 | CapOne No Hassle Rewards $2500 | BBRZ MC $800 | Local CU Visa $1000 | Kay $2000 | Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve $5000 | Chase Marriott Rewards $5000 | BankAmericard Travel Rewards Visa $7000 | Discover IT $1000
Message 3 of 8
Ron1
Super Contributor

Your score might drop if you close Macys store card. It may affect your AAOA.  Macys Card and Macys Amex have no annual fee. If I were you, I would leave it open. I go to buy a soda every six month to keep it open. For the store card, I buy once a year around Christmas.

Ron.

Message 4 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Just because it does not report a CL, doesn't mean it does not help your credit profile.... it's reporting a positive account that gets older each day to help your AA.

To get the Amex, you would have to ask to be upgraded which would be a hard pull and a new account added.

Message 5 of 8
Gibran
Frequent Contributor

I'm going to keep it open, I don't want anything messing up my AA. I only use it around Christmas anyway, during the year I usually just pay cash when I go shopping there. Thank you both for the advice and insight

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gibran wrote:

I'm going to keep it open, I don't want anything messing up my AA. I only use it around Christmas anyway, during the year I usually just pay cash when I go shopping there. Thank you both for the advice and insight

My favorite thing about Macy's is the additional discounts you get when using the card.  Paying cash at Macy's usually means losing discounts - you may want to look at using the card whenever making purchases at the store.

At any rate, congrats on deciding to keep it open. 

Message 7 of 8
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

A couple things I noticed about Macy's reporting:

1. They do not report the CC (Amex or Visa) trade line to Transunion.
  2. They do not report the store card trade line to anyone for AUs.
  3. At least for DW, while they report the store card as closed they don't report a closed date and continue to update the trade line every month -- so it looks like it was just closed.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.