Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's CC question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's CC question

Out of curiosity more than anything... how do the levels at Macy's work? (Red/Gold/Platinum/Black)

Is this an automatic thing when you spend a certain amount, or does one need to request it?

I am staring at their app page right now, and just wondering...

Message 1 of 27
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: Macy's CC question

Hey Pappy,

It is an automatic upgrade, when you pass a certain thershold amount of spending.

Message 2 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
oracles
Valued Contributor

Hey Pappy,

It is an automatic upgrade, when you pass a certain thershold amount of spending.

Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks oracles,

Now the question becomes to app or not to app. LOL!!! 

Message 3 of 27
oracles
Valued Contributor

lol, are you in the center and what are your goals for other cards. If you are looking for a card but need time to pass then i would not do it. Is there a macys around you. will you shop there?
Message 4 of 27
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

I call after about 4 months to see if they could upgrade my card. They told me to hold while they looked over the account they said that I was being upgraded to platinum. I would recommend the card to anyone. Macy's gives great cli, have had the card only a short time and already up to a 1300 cl.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Red = $0-$500 in yearly spending

Gold = $501-1000

Platinum = $1001=2499

Elite = $2499+

and once you reach platinum or elite, you start receiving $25 certificates as rewards instead of $10

If you have the visa, you also start earning 3% within store, 1% outside the store. 

Message 6 of 27
lizabeth
Contributor

i have the macy's plat. level store card and i would only suggest app'ing for the VISA macy's, if at all.
the store card is pretty worthless and ive stopped using it altogether. the apr is awful awful awful.should be grand treason to have this card. go for the visa, or go for a non store card that actually has rewards. $25 dollars off at macys like twice a year is pointless.
Message 7 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@lizabeth wrote:
i have the macy's plat. level store card and i would only suggest app'ing for the VISA macy's, if at all.
the store card is pretty worthless and ive stopped using it altogether. the apr is awful awful awful.should be grand treason to have this card. go for the visa, or go for a non store card that actually has rewards. $25 dollars off at macys like twice a year is pointless.
Well that's not totally fair statement.
Your rewards are based on how much you spend, so to say you only get 2 a year... that's becuase your not spending much.
and if someone is trying to either rebuild there credit or maximize there fico mix by getting a store card, you can't get a better one in my opinion.. they give CLI every 3 months!!! who else does that. They also just about give everyone a card.
 and for APR, this is a store card, you are going to be hard pressed to find any store card with less apr than 21% besides walmart at tier 1 apr or Nordstrom at tier 1 apr. 

Message 8 of 27
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

I do spend a decent amount of money at the store because it is very close to my house. Also Macy's prices are very fair. Most of the time i will put my purchases on my card then pay in full so apr does not mater.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 27
iltph
Frequent Contributor

Will a store card eventually be upgraded to a Visa after time or does it need to be requested? If requested, what is a good time and will there be a hard pull?

What if I spend $1,000 in one year and go up to the Platinum, then the next year only spend $200. Will the card be downgraded or will it remain the same?

-------------------------------------------
April 2009: TU 768
March 2009: EQ 671
February 2009: EQ 666
January 2009: TU 667 | EQ 620 | EX 669
December 2008: TU 651 | EQ 625 | EX 649
April 2008: TU 642 | EQ 636 | EX 635
November 2007: EQ 542

November 2006: EQ 501
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.