Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's CC question

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Macy's CC question

@iltph wrote:

Will a store card eventually be upgraded to a Visa after time or does it need to be requested? If requested, what is a good time and will there be a hard pull?

What if I spend $1,000 in one year and go up to the Platinum, then the next year only spend $200. Will the card be downgraded or will it remain the same?

you can request to be upgraded to visa, not sure about hard or not, but it is a whole new credit line to have the visa.
your account will automatically be downgraded in the system, but they most likely won't send out a new card, but when you charge in the store, it will say right on the receipt what level you are. 

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all! First post here!

Macy's will automatically downgrade you and send the new card in the mail.  I was formerly a gold member then was dropped. My new card came a few days after I received the notice that my status was changed.  My problem with Macy's is that will not raise my credit limit after years of trying.  My limit is only $100 which I received as a part time employee (Foley's) in 2001. Their reason is because I don't use the card, my reason because the limit is so low. Every time I would use it, even for sock purchases, my credit score took a hit. I have threatened to close it but haven't because this is one of my older accounts, aside from student loans, that is reporting positively (learned that from these forums Smiley Happy . Other accounts that I have with higher limits are Chase Freedom 10K, and Nordstroms 5K. Are there any recommendations on how to get a CLI with them, because I promise I don't know how yall are doing it Smiley Indifferent . Credit Score  690 EQ. TU EX 680s

Message 12 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would use the card, turn around and pay the card, you won't take the hit on credit for maxing out a card but you will start showing usage on the card to get cli.
Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you use the card, your dang near guaranteed a GLI every 3 months.  
Message 14 of 27
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

my friend re-opened a closed account with a $100 limit 4 months ago and yesterday got an increase to $200. I think he has used it once.

My other friend had a $100 employee card and after he stopped working there, the account sat for like a year, he called and they increased him to $1000.

so sometimes they give huge CLI and other times they are modest, but if you use the account and keep calling every 3 months, you will get some love. 

Message 15 of 27
oracles
Valued Contributor

@ADivine08 wrote:

Hi all! First post here!

Macy's will automatically downgrade you and send the new card in the mail.  I was formerly a gold member then was dropped. My new card came a few days after I received the notice that my status was changed.  My problem with Macy's is that will not raise my credit limit after years of trying.  My limit is only $100 which I received as a part time employee (Foley's) in 2001. Their reason is because I don't use the card, my reason because the limit is so low. Every time I would use it, even for sock purchases, my credit score took a hit. I have threatened to close it but haven't because this is one of my older accounts, aside from student loans, that is reporting positively (learned that from these forums Smiley Happy . Other accounts that I have with higher limits are Chase Freedom 10K, and Nordstroms 5K. Are there any recommendations on how to get a CLI with them, because I promise I don't know how yall are doing it Smiley Indifferent . Credit Score  690 EQ. TU EX 680s

Welcome to the forums Adivine. Have you tried the macys backdoor number located in a thread sticky at the top of this forum. You can also do a search for macys backdoor number. Call them and speak to a credit analyst and tell them your situation. See if they will increase your limit by $100 dollars at lease.

Keep us updated

Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update!

After talking with the customer service representative, and them reviewing my account, they awarded me with .  .  . $100. Thanks for  the responses. I am glad to know that I am not the only one who they are stingy with.

AD  

Message 17 of 27
oracles
Valued Contributor

@ADivine08 wrote:

Update!

After talking with the customer service representative, and them reviewing my account, they awarded me with .  .  . $100. Thanks for  the responses. I am glad to know that I am not the only one who they are stingy with.

AD  

Very nice, congrats

Message 18 of 27
poet
Regular Contributor

Sitiing here paying the bills, and I noticed this on the Macy's statement:

"In the coming months, your Macy's store account will be managed according to a credit limit. The credit limit for your account will appear on a future
statement along with information about this change.""

Is this their way of saying I'm getting an upgrade from the red store card to a VISA or AMEX, or is Macy's doing something else? 

Personally, I LOVE Macy's. Macy's card + high-quality stuff + periodically insane deals = birthdays and Christmas lifesaver!!! And it's always good to be able to get a new pair of shoes or a suit for job-related occasions, interviews, etc. Lovelovelove my Macy's card. It's a lifesaver.

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 673 EQ, 681 TU, 650 EX
Goal Score: 720

Update April 1: TU 615/EQ624
Update June 28: TU 641/EQ 626
Update Sept 21: TU 681, EQ 673, EX 650 (FAKO)
I FINALLY got that car at the rate I wanted! Thanks, FICO Forums!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 27
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@poet wrote:

Sitiing here paying the bills, and I noticed this on the Macy's statement:

"In the coming months, your Macy's store account will be managed according to a credit limit. The credit limit for your account will appear on a future
statement along with information about this change.""

Is this their way of saying I'm getting an upgrade from the red store card to a VISA or AMEX, or is Macy's doing something else? 

Personally, I LOVE Macy's. Macy's card + high-quality stuff + periodically insane deals = birthdays and Christmas lifesaver!!! And it's always good to be able to get a new pair of shoes or a suit for job-related occasions, interviews, etc. Lovelovelove my Macy's card. It's a lifesaver.

Macys has begun reporting CLs to the CRBs, which they weren't doing previously. This is just letting you know that your CL will be reported to the CRB and your statement will let you know what your CL is.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.