Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Established Contributor

Macy's CC question

Out of curiosity more than anything... how do the levels at Macy's work? (Red/Gold/Platinum/Black)

Is this an automatic thing when you spend a certain amount, or does one need to request it?

I am staring at their app page right now, and just wondering...

"Evacuate, in our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances."
Valued Contributor

Re: Macy's CC question

Hey Pappy,

It is an automatic upgrade, when you pass a certain thershold amount of spending.

Established Contributor

Thanks oracles,

Now the question becomes to app or not to app. LOL!!! 

"Evacuate, in our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances."
Valued Contributor

lol, are you in the center and what are your goals for other cards. If you are looking for a card but need time to pass then i would not do it. Is there a macys around you. will you shop there?
Frequent Contributor

I call after about 4 months to see if they could upgrade my card. They told me to hold while they looked over the account they said that I was being upgraded to platinum. I would recommend the card to anyone. Macy's gives great cli, have had the card only a short time and already up to a 1300 cl.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Epic Contributor

Red = $0-$500 in yearly spending

Gold = $501-1000

Platinum = $1001=2499

Elite = $2499+

and once you reach platinum or elite, you start receiving $25 certificates as rewards instead of $10

If you have the visa, you also start earning 3% within store, 1% outside the store. 

Fico Scores 8: EX 694. TU 689. EQ 658. 05/26/2015
Contributor

i have the macy's plat. level store card and i would only suggest app'ing for the VISA macy's, if at all.
the store card is pretty worthless and ive stopped using it altogether. the apr is awful awful awful.should be grand treason to have this card. go for the visa, or go for a non store card that actually has rewards. $25 dollars off at macys like twice a year is pointless.
Epic Contributor

lizabeth wrote:
i have the macy's plat. level store card and i would only suggest app'ing for the VISA macy's, if at all.
the store card is pretty worthless and ive stopped using it altogether. the apr is awful awful awful.should be grand treason to have this card. go for the visa, or go for a non store card that actually has rewards. $25 dollars off at macys like twice a year is pointless.
Well that's not totally fair statement.
Your rewards are based on how much you spend, so to say you only get 2 a year... that's becuase your not spending much.
and if someone is trying to either rebuild there credit or maximize there fico mix by getting a store card, you can't get a better one in my opinion.. they give CLI every 3 months!!! who else does that. They also just about give everyone a card.
 and for APR, this is a store card, you are going to be hard pressed to find any store card with less apr than 21% besides walmart at tier 1 apr or Nordstrom at tier 1 apr. 

Fico Scores 8: EX 694. TU 689. EQ 658. 05/26/2015
Frequent Contributor

I do spend a decent amount of money at the store because it is very close to my house. Also Macy's prices are very fair. Most of the time i will put my purchases on my card then pay in full so apr does not mater.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor

Will a store card eventually be upgraded to a Visa after time or does it need to be requested? If requested, what is a good time and will there be a hard pull?

What if I spend $1,000 in one year and go up to the Platinum, then the next year only spend $200. Will the card be downgraded or will it remain the same?

-------------------------------------------
April 2009: TU 768
March 2009: EQ 671
February 2009: EQ 666
January 2009: TU 667 | EQ 620 | EX 669
December 2008: TU 651 | EQ 625 | EX 649
April 2008: TU 642 | EQ 636 | EX 635
November 2007: EQ 542

November 2006: EQ 501
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.