Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's CLI questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's CLI questions

Happy Friday everyone Smiley Happy

I was approved for a Macy's card last month. I was wondering what do they tend to look for CLI wise?

Do I need to make small purchases, PIF and wait for x amount of statements to cut?

Are they HP or SP? 

What is the frequency I should attempt CLI? Monthly, Biannually etc...?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Macy's CLI questions

Macys cli can be hp and sp. As your history grows with the card your chances of sp grow. Being a new account i would wait a couple months to establish yourself. Just remember you may get a hp when asking for one so make sure youre ok with that possibilty. Once the ball gets rolling this card can grow nicely. Id recomend mainting a pif with it just so it shows responsible use, at least thats what ive done. Best of luckSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 11
iced
Valued Contributor

My experience was that they will auto-CLI you if your spend justifies it, but if you want them to CLI you expect a HP.

I also think they tend to open accounts with conservative limits then let loose a larger limit around 3-6 months in.

Message 3 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wheres my auto ? LOL
Message 4 of 11
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

I'm still stuck at $300 with Macy's......my card is over a year old and no auti CLI as of yet.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there! Well, my two cents, I opened my Macy's CC back in 2014 and I believe my starting balance was $2000. A year or so later, it was bumped up to $2500. Now, three years since I opened it, my balance was increased again to $3300. Mind you, I would charge the card somewhat heavily, but after paying it off, I would use it sporadically. I bet if I continued using it much more frequently while spending a good amount, my CL would be much higher. Also, Macy's was CLIing me without my request, they did it on their own.

I believe it may be a combination of usage/spending + PIF with some cutting + how long you've had it open.

Message 6 of 11
roxy72
Valued Member

Macy's is my first retail card that I have recvd.  I applied online (HP) and was approved for a whopping $100.  Used it to buy baby clothes for a shower.  Paid it off and didn't use it for maybe almost two months.  Checked online one day and seen an auth increase, was now up to $2000 with barely any use.  Bought little things here and there.  Went online and requested a cli to $4000.  Then within another two months requested another cli to $6000.  Purchased a mattress and headboard along with some other stuff.  Last month I requested another cli.  Now I sit at $10,000 credit line and I've had the card since the end of 2015. The highest of all my credit cards.  Only 1 HP from Macy's the rest were SP.  Macy's is VERY generous with their CLI

Seedling till 5/15/19
Message 7 of 11
roxy72
Valued Member

That was a message I posted in March of this year.  If requesting a CLI, it will be a SP only initial is HP.  This is the store card I'm referring to.  

Seedling till 5/15/19
Message 8 of 11
iced
Valued Contributor

The one and only CLI I ever requested from Macy's was a HP. They can do a HP for CLIs as well. That was also for a store card.
Message 9 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yeah, i felt like poking the bear to see if they would give me anymore, currently at 10k, but looks like im maxed for the moment on sp luv. My reports are frozen and when i put in request they wanted me to call so its quite possible they wanted me to unfreeze my report and that means hp. I have gotten sp luv with reports,frozen so it just goes to show all depends on how you use the card how your credit is and also, your income level in comparison to your limit. Macys,truely is a YMMV lender haha. Im ok with 10Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.