Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Card

tag
Codert777

Re: Macy's Card

I have bank accounts with chase.

Discover Student Card CL $2000 Wal-mart Discover Card CL $1600 Amazon Store Card CL $800 Playstation Capital One Card CL $300 Macy's Store Card $100
Message 11 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Chase doesn't really offer any products you would qualify for. 

If you live in an area with wells fargo branches you could open a college combo with a small deposit ($100) and then see if you're pre-approved for their college cash back visa or their secured card or something. I went in with nothing on my reports but student loans and inquiries and they approved me for $600 on the spot. The college cash back visa only has a minimum income requprement of $3,000, however you'll almost surely be denied if you don't open an account with them. 

Message 12 of 22
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
I have a Macy's card and I can tell you it's an easy card to get. However it's a horrible card. There's No rewards and u can only spend it at Macy's.

Just get those credit builder cards or college cards (if your a college student) and work it up from there.

You can get secured cards and use it for a few months until the banks graduate you to unsecured, or you can try to get unsecured right away from banks like capitalone, orchard bank, etc. make sure you read up about the entire fee structure before you apply for anytiinf

I have Macy's and I have gotten some of THEE best deals with Macy's because they have rock bottom sales and then they also send out 20% coupons of which I always keep in my purse.  I have purchased designer clothing for much as much as 60% off such as Ralph Lauren or Jones New York.  I mean that is like a $120 piece for $50 bucks.  On top of that I also received $120 cash back (store gift card) a few weeks ago for being in their Thanks For Sharing club.  I can buy $400 worth of stuff by using that gift card and my 20% off coupons and catching something already on sale at 50% off.  I can walk out of the store without spending one penny by doing that so in IMO Macy's is not bad.

The interest is horrible on just about any store card and yep that includes Macy's, but you can only get those deals by being a Macy's card holder. Besides, I PIF so the interest rate doesn't bother me.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 13 of 22
Codert777

@jsucool76 wrote:

Chase doesn't really offer any products you would qualify for. 

If you live in an area with wells fargo branches you could open a college combo with a small deposit ($100) and then see if you're pre-approved for their college cash back visa or their secured card or something. I went in with nothing on my reports but student loans and inquiries and they approved me for $600 on the spot. The college cash back visa only has a minimum income requprement of $3,000, however you'll almost surely be denied if you don't open an account with them. 

Thanks for the advice, this seems like the route I'll attempt to take. And yeah the Macy's card has a ton of awesome deals.

Discover Student Card CL $2000 Wal-mart Discover Card CL $1600 Amazon Store Card CL $800 Playstation Capital One Card CL $300 Macy's Store Card $100
Message 14 of 22
jsucool76
Super Contributor

+1 to rhaeny

My sister has a macys card and loves all the coupons and stuff she gets.
Message 15 of 22
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

BTW, I was told before by a csr that it is best to apply in store and not online especially if you might be a borderline approval.   She said that you because you are there wih identification that it makes a difference.  I applied in store in October and was instantly approved and I have a bk on my file.  What are your scores and what does your credit hisory look like?

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 16 of 22
jayrock24
Regular Contributor

get you a fingerhut card order a t shirt and pay the lil 5 dollars a month 4 about 6 months and then you should be all set  mines went from 250 to 1000 in 3 months then 1350 at 6 payment that was 2 plus years agoo then i payed of and never use again but atleast u can get history without all the annual and intrest fees plus monthly paymen is rather low good luck

gardening tu fico 770 eq fico 735 ex fico 698 last app 2/27 chase freedom instant approval planing on gardening until my house search begins sometime in jun or july
Message 17 of 22
Codert777

I dont have a score yet as I got my Macys card back in Dec 2012. Thats another route I could travel jayrock24.

Message 18 of 22
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

@Codert777 wrote:

Is the Macy's card a great way for someone who has no credit to start building it? And if so, how would one go about doing so?

I applied for a Macys card when i had zero credit on my own. This is what i did:

-I asked my mom to add me as an AU on her Macys Store (she opened that card in Nov 2001 so technically that gave a score)

- A month after i checked my reports to make sure that acc was being reported  and it was...

- I headed to the store and decided to apply when the Sales person was telling me about the discounts this card offered. I got approved for only $100 CL  (6 months after i got an auto CLI of  $1900)

My next move was to open two secured cards: Wells fargo ($2000) and Cap 1 ($500) and after having these cards for a year i was able to get a discover card, an Amex BCE and upgraded my Macys Store to Macys Amex (They gave me $6000) 

I only make $20,000 anually FWIW

It takes time to build credit.... and yes the Macys Store is a good option to start building credit just make sure you have at least AU accounts on your credit file otherwise you'll get denied

Message 19 of 22
jayrock24
Regular Contributor

yea fingerhut is easy to get and even if u miss a payment or pay late they still report good so worth a try just to get a score and more utilization

gardening tu fico 770 eq fico 735 ex fico 698 last app 2/27 chase freedom instant approval planing on gardening until my house search begins sometime in jun or july
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.