Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's - Credit Score Needed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's - Credit Score Needed?

Hi All,

Does anyone know how I could find out what score is needed for Macy's? Would this be an EX pull?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Re: Macy's - Credit Score Needed?

When I app'd about a year and a half ago, I was hovering around 640 for all three scores, and was approved for a measly $300 (common for most opening CL's at Macy's). Currently my limit is ~$4K.
ImageImageImage

Message 2 of 30
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

You can always check ------>            whogavemecredit.com

I applied last week to see what the reaction would be since I BK`d  them in `96 to see if they do indeed blacklist for life..

I was turned down, not for that, but due to negative credit history, and not enough recent positive charge history.. finally got first major card in Dec `09, etc, etc, etc 

So either, I'm not on the doo-doo list, or they just ran out of room to write reasons why they said no! lol

Current scores:

EQ: 605, TU: 551, EX ( fako ) 582

I'll try again much later in the year when those scores go up a bit, all are above the 620's, and after I have had a chance to add major card # 2

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for your responses.  I just found out my EX score is 611.  I want to wait until summer but wanted to hash out some strategies to build my credit and figured Macys was as good a place to start as any.
Message 4 of 30
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Once you get your EX FICO into to around 650 you should be OK. Be certain to only app in-store - not online!
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lajntx wrote:

I applied last week to see what the reaction would be since I BK`d  them in `96 to see if they do indeed blacklist for life..

I was turned down, not for that, but due to negative credit history, and not enough recent positive charge history.. finally got first major card in Dec `09, etc, etc, etc 

So either, I'm not on the doo-doo list, or they just ran out of room to write reasons why they said no! lol

Current scores:

I'll try again much later in the year when those scores go up a bit, all are above the 620's, and after I have had a chance to add major card # 2

Believe it or not, they often do run out of space for additional reasons ... or something like that.

Some lenders like AmEx and CrapOne will first check their internal blacklist and shoot you down without even pulling your CR.

Others will pull your CR and go down a progressive list of factors for declining.  If you make it further down their list with no factors for declining then eventually you can hit the "negative history with creditor" reason and that's what they use to decline you.  HSBC does that.

Message 6 of 30
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Macy's does not seem to be score driven, I knew someone that was given a $200 limit in store with a 565 credit score, but he had quite a bit of open credit, even though he had recent lates.

Now just a couple weeks ago my friend with no credit card credit and a 650 score was declined because of negative history and not enough credit. 

Message 7 of 30
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@lajntx wrote:

Current scores:

Believe it or not, they often do run out of space for additional reasons ... or something like that.

Some lenders like AmEx and CrapOne will first check their internal blacklist and shoot you down without even pulling your CR.

Others will pull your CR and go down a progressive list of factors for declining.  If you make it further down their list with no factors for declining then eventually you can hit the "negative history with creditor" reason and that's what they use to decline you.  HSBC does that.

Macys definitely checks against their internal blacklist and will kill your app based on it. I don't know whether they will do that before or after pulling your CR. It would be considerate if it was before.

Message 8 of 30
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Macy's does not seem to be score driven, I knew someone that was given a $200 limit in store with a 565 credit score, but he had quite a bit of open credit, even though he had recent lates.

Now just a couple weeks ago my friend with no credit card credit and a 650 score was declined because of negative history and not enough credit. 

Macys has a very sophisticated internal model.

Remember Macys, like Amex, has been issuing credit to folks since long, long before there was a FICO!

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately my Sallie Mae loan is showing 120-day lateness as of Nov 2009 (failed to update bank card - my fault).  I will wait until 6-9 months goes by.

Thanks for all the great advice!

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.