Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Epic Access....Am I crazy!?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Macy's Epic Access....Am I crazy!?

The short version....

How does one feel about a rep putting you on hold, and doing so for so long (25 minutes) that you call again while remaining on hold and then 3-way the phone call?!

I talked to 2nd rep and then first manager until 35 minutes had passed and the call was disconnected.  I escalated to 2nd manager and still no one can "see" who had access to all the very account information that they would not give me as an AU user (the store account number so I could set it up in our joint account bill pay, we have the Macy's American Express, so they are 2 different account numbers and although I have full access to charging on both cards I for some reason can not have access to this very single account number for the store that to me would ONLY be useful to do exactly what I want which is pay!)

Mind you I already paid because I have log in and paid through Macys.com but I still want it in my bill pay and don't see why that is secret information and even told rep 2 I would have let it go and called it a "stupid" internal rule up until this unknown rep had full access to store/amex and much more for over 35 minutes and no one can tell me who or why so doesn't seem quite fair.

Am I crazy? (besides the obvious)

In all I spent 62 minutes on the call with 3 people and 3rd said she consulted 4th manager and got same answer (why so many managers on the same floor and none can see one little front line csr??!)  I said I know it seems crazy, but do you see my principle in this?

Am I crazy?! LOL

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Macy's Epic Access....Am I crazy!?

i'm not surprised they kept you on hold for so long. i've experienced similar wait times.

but i don't think any company will give you the full account number over the phone, even if you're the user itself. At least for my experience with Wells Fargo and Chase.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 8
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

I've never had a credit card copany willing to give me my full account number over the phone. you have to simply request a replacement card to get it or request a statement copy.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 3 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@enharu wrote:

i'm not surprised they kept you on hold for so long. i've experienced similar wait times.

but i don't think any company will give you the full account number over the phone, even if you're the user itself. At least for my experience with Wells Fargo and Chase.

well the thing is I didn't even ask for the account number from the first guy... I had only asked him if I just put my macy's amex card number and use the 2 different po boxes to distringuish to them which card im making the payment on when coming from my bank.

and I do understand giving out account numbers when it comes to credit cards like chase, discover, etc. but they use a 2 account number system but yet only issue 1 account number on a card and on a statement so the only way to set up bill pay outside of them is by them giving you this "secret" store account number I guess...  I don't recall this stuff or issue with my past account with them and getting it set up.  If it's something they don't want to give out, they should issue account numbers like target does, they are special account numbers that are used just for this purpose, online payments and you can't actually use it for charging... that is on the statement.

They said, the computer was not up to date to be able to handle such a thing.

Message 4 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@NJTurnpike wrote:

I've never had a credit card copany willing to give me my full account number over the phone. you have to simply request a replacement card to get it or request a statement copy.

Macy's American Express is 1 card but 2 accounts.  you never actually see a full store card number on your card or when you swipe it... it does it automatically.  I have the card, I have the statement... 

Message 5 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

@NJTurnpike wrote:

Macy's American Express is 1 card but 2 accounts.  you never actually see a full store card number on your card or when you swipe it... it does it automatically.  I have the card, I have the statement... 

Specific rules and privacy regulations protect accountholders from companies releasing such sensitive information.  For all they know, you could be phishing.  You are the authorized user - not the accountholder.  Big difference.  It doesn't matter if you have full charging privileges since the liability primary falls on the accountholder for payment.  So, this situation could have been easily avoided by having had your partner call in and get those details. 

I've had the Macys Preferred AMEX since way back when it was issued as a Visa.  My partner is listed on the account as an AU, yet he doesn't have full access to all the specific account details.  I've never had an issue obtaining the actual store card # with any CSR.  The Macy's store card # is also printed on the physical statment if you receive paper statements.

One of my relatives has the same Macy's AMEX card and it is a joint account (back when that used to be offered).  He has the same full access to the account information as his wife.

Message 6 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@NJTurnpike wrote:

Specific rules and privacy regulations protect accountholders from companies releasing such sensitive information.  For all they know, you could be phishing.  You are the authorized user - not the accountholder.  Big difference.  It doesn't matter if you have full charging privileges since the liability primary falls on the accountholder for payment.  So, this situation could have been easily avoided by having had your partner call in and get those details. 

I've had the Macys Preferred AMEX since way back when it was issued as a Visa.  My partner is listed on the account as an AU, yet he doesn't have full access to all the specific account details.  I've never had an issue obtaining the actual store card # with any CSR.  The Macy's store card # is also printed on the physical statment if you receive paper statements.

One of my relatives has the same Macy's AMEX card and it is a joint account (back when that used to be offered).  He has the same full access to the account information as his wife.

You can still be joint, We just have not done it with this card and don't think we will.

In the end although I found it and still find it baseless to not give out the store account number since online and store use would be only way to do anything with that account and why wouldn't i just use the amex number.... (if it comes in mail statement vs. the pdf then problem solved)

im still just stuck on that i can't have a number that i have no use for outside paying the bill but they have an employee that they can't "track" that had access to the account for 35 minutes.... not to mention the customer (me) sitting on hold for that long to get me "what he thought" was the po box address.... that was the end issue of the call.... where did he go?

Message 7 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@NJTurnpike wrote:

You can still be joint, We just have not done it with this card and don't think we will.

In the end although I found it and still find it baseless to not give out the store account number since online and store use would be only way to do anything with that account and why wouldn't i just use the amex number.... (if it comes in mail statement vs. the pdf then problem solved)

im still just stuck on that i can't have a number that i have no use for outside paying the bill but they have an employee that they can't "track" that had access to the account for 35 minutes.... not to mention the customer (me) sitting on hold for that long to get me "what he thought" was the po box address.... that was the end issue of the call.... where did he go?

I think you scared him or he went on a LONG break.  Maybe he quit and couldn't take it anymore.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.