Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's GLI

tag
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Macy's GLI

On a more cheerful note, in the face of all the CLD's and other depressing stuff, I was granted a $700 GLI by Macy's on my store card with them, this morning.  New CL: $2,200. 

So good behavior CAN still be rewarded.  In some places, at least! Smiley Happy

So far, they've been great to me; nice to know they're still willing to be, even now!

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Macy's GLI

WOW! Congrats!

What was your spending habit like? And how long have you had the card?

My just went from $800 to $1500. I always PIF, but I has hoping for more (not complaining, but am thankful).

Message 2 of 12
Scamp
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

WOW! Congrats!

What was your spending habit like? And how long have you had the card?

My just went from $800 to $1500. I always PIF, but I has hoping for more (not complaining, but am thankful).

Thanks, llecs.  They do seem to like seeing a lot of use, and then either PIF or fairly quickly.

I've had the card a little over 2 years - it was one of the first ones I got when starting to rebuild.  Started off with a $300 CL.  I think I got auto-GLI's to $500 and then $800 by 24 months earlier this year.  Then, after finding the forums, I've pretty much asked for all my GLI's since then.  How much they were willing to grant me instantly seems to have increased apace with how much I spending/paying off reasonably fast.

Most of my heaviest spending with them has been between 12/06 and now.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree, Macy's is great. I am going to wait until I pay the coming statement which includes a nice hunk of jewelry on it then ask for my next guideline. I have seen no evidence saying you need to wait, but I always think it best to ask for an increase with a zero balance but spending history in the recent past.
Message 4 of 12
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I am going to call on 10/15 to ask GLI, will report back.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. Congrats. Macy's seems to be consistently generous. Awesome increase!
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know CLI, but what is GLI?

Message 7 of 12
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Guidance Line Increase = GLI = CLI.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 8 of 12
jean615

I am thinking of applying for a macy's card myself..it seems to me i read but cannot find now on here, it is best to call or go in the store itself versus online? wow that was a long sentence..my scores are 641 634 616 due to maxed out small credit cards!
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might get a card with those scores but if you want to improve your chances I would pay down your small cards to below 80 percent and wait for those to post to your credit reports, that should boost your scores a modest amount.

I would say your chances are the same of getting a card, but if you apply in store you don't have to call in to verify your identity. I applied over the phone and that counted for verifying your identity. If you just apply online and don't verify your identity in person or over the phone, they will usually start you off with a tiny credit limit of $100. Over the phone or in person I have heard of initial lines between 300-1000.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.