Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's GLI :)

tag
bigtim
Frequent Contributor

Re: Macy's GLI :)

What's all this "GLI" stuff? I've heard CLI...? What's GLI stand for?

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Cards:
12/2012 - Discover (ICL 3,375 CLI to 5,375 05/2014)
12/2013 - Chase Freedom (ICL 3,500 ACLI to 4,500 07/2014)
03/2012 - Gander Mountain MC (WFNNB) 7,000 CL
04/2012 - Ace Rewards Visa (US Bank) 12,000 CL
Back to gardening for a year or two
Message 21 of 35
torry590
Regular Contributor

Its what macy's refers their credit increase program.

It used to be every 3 months you can call for a GuideLine Increase, but i guess they changed it to every 6 months, different results for everyone though until the policy sticks.

GLI is macy's CLI in other words.

As of 5/2021 EX8: 616 | TU8: 665 | EQ8: 662
First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 22 of 35
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@bigtim wrote:

What's all this "GLI" stuff? I've heard CLI...? What's GLI stand for?

Thanks

Guideline is Macy's term for what the rest of the world calls a credit line. Macy's has been granting credit to purchasers since before there was a MasterCard or a Visa and long before banks issued credit cards. Therefore, they can call it whatever they want!
Message 23 of 35
torry590
Regular Contributor

Bottom line, Macy's is amazing and very generous. Their card isnt difficult to get, though they have tightened their standards. I got mine in late 2008, they started the credit crunch a little before that, it was fairly easy then in my opinion for me. But I don't know about now.

The starting out limit is small usually, but they will grow with you, and quickly. They like to see use, but in my case i dont have much use and they still increase me and gave me a major purchase accounts.

I have maybe used the card 3 times since I got it. 

They know how to keep customers.

Just ordered my new bed frame and headboard, great quality, it will last me years, great investment. It was 1700, I took advantage of their 1 day sale and snagged it for 999.00 and, 0% interest for 6 months, by then ill have it paid off or almost paid off. 

I wasn't that big on Macy's until I turned 18 last year and got a card, amazing people, great customer service, I have never felt so valued at a store before in my life. 

By the end of this year they will be upgrading me to platinum because i spent over 1000 bucks lol. woo. Smiley Happy

Message Edited by torry590 on 07-09-2009 09:18 PM
As of 5/2021 EX8: 616 | TU8: 665 | EQ8: 662
First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 24 of 35
Kay_Cee
Regular Contributor

I got my last increase with Macy's three months ago.  I called them yesterday and asked for a $500 increase.  The rep said she would try to put that through and came back on the line and said she could authorize an additional $1,000 to my line of credit.  Anyone who has been told they have to wait six months, may want to call again and see if you get a different answer with a different representative.  Especially since there is no hard pull involved.

Now if I could only screw up the courage to hit the luv button for my American Express card.....

Message Edited by Kay_Cee on 07-12-2009 06:42 AM
Message 25 of 35
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I find that when asking for a GLI from Macy's it is better not to specify an amount. I normally ask if they have a GLI for me and if so what is the maximum amount available is. This hopefully avoids leaving money on the table.
Message 26 of 35
mrsgavin
Established Member

I called today to request an increase. I got $500 increase from $200. Rep said I can call every three months and should not have a problem if i keep using my card this way. My utilization is 59%.
Message 27 of 35
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@mrsgavin wrote:
I called today to request an increase. I got $500 increase from $200. Rep said I can call every three months and should not have a problem if i keep using my card this way. My utilization is 59%.

Congrats! 

Interesting contradiction. Three months or six months? Who knows.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-20-2009 04:20 PM
Message 28 of 35
score_building
Senior Contributor

@mrsgavin wrote:

congrats! is your uti 59% on the card or overall?
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 29 of 35
mrsgavin
Established Member

60% on card. 40% over all
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.