JasonM

Macy's Hard pull for existing account...

Hi all, I have a few questions here, and a warning as well for people in a similar situation.
I have a Macy's store card. Limit is $500, balance is $0, Open date is 12/2001, last activity is 2/2002, CR states the account is still open. In an effort to raise my score by having another line reporting a balance, I charged one purchase for about $26 over the weekend. Well now, I have a new hard pull from Macy's/DSNB. On my alert, I see the following text:
The following inquiries are "hard" or voluntary inquiries and were generated because you authorized the companies listed to request a copy of your credit report.

So my questions...
I obviously didn't explicitly authorize any such credit pull... Does Macy's/DSNB have the right to make that hard inquiry just because I have an existing account with them?
Whether they do or don't, is there any way I can get that item removed (I imagine that an inquiry is diff than a late payment in that regard, but not sure...)

I know that this is just one inq, but I don't have any in the past 2 years other than this. Also, I was going to apply for one credit card soon - after I brought my score up a bit and hopefully banished a few baddies first. Now I am concerned about having too many inquiries in a short period.
Any answers/advice I receive would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Jason
Contributor
cowpaddi

Re: Macy's Hard pull for existing account...

They did the hard pull because you had not used the card in 6 yrs. they wanted to make sure that they deemed you credit worthy. You could call them and ask them to remove the inq or change it to a soft. And one inq is unlikely to affect your chances for getting another card. I have 20 since Dec. and got 11 of them.
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar

They do have permissible purpose, since you have an existing credit account with them.

The effect of one inquiry is minor; in many cases the first inquiry doesn't hurt at all.

----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Established Contributor
scramblingin2007

Jason, they did the same thing to me back in dec. They do have permissi...purpose, since the card has been inactive for a long while...
Super Contributor
MidnightVoice

Many companies will do this on a card that has been inactive.  A typical time lapse for inactivity is 12 months.

I have a very old gas card I want to keep open, and there are no longer any gas stations here.  I make sure I use it twice a year somewhere!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Moderator Emeritus
psychic

I only use my Macy's card once a year.  Each year, before my annual purchase, I call Macy's credit department to find out whether or not I'm going to have any problems using my card.  The last time I called, in December, I was told that I must use my card once every 2 years or the account will be considered "inactive."
EQ 814 / TU 815 / EX 842

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+