Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Spending Limit Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's Spending Limit Question

Got my Macy's card during my rebuilding and it has a $1400 limit.  I called the automated system to check my available  credit left for purchase. The system only referred to my total balance due, so i bailed out to talk to a representative. I asked how much available credit I had. I had made a late pmt a few months prior. I knew Macy's reduces the limit after a late pmt, however it seemed like they were chasing my balance after they went to only reporting total amount of credit used. The representative stated Macy's no longer has CLs - she could tell me if I would be approved for the purchase if I gave her the amount. Is this legitimate? Have those of you using a Macy's store card experienced the same?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Macy's Spending Limit Question

@Anonymous wrote:

Got my Macy's card during my rebuilding and it has a $1400 limit.  I called the automated system to check my available  credit left for purchase. The system only referred to my total balance due, so i bailed out to talk to a representative. I asked how much available credit I had. I had made a late pmt a few months prior. I knew Macy's reduces the limit after a late pmt, however it seemed like they were chasing my balance after they went to only reporting total amount of credit used. The representative stated Macy's no longer has CLs - she could tell me if I would be approved for the purchase if I gave her the amount. Is this legitimate? Have those of you using a Macy's store card experienced the same?

It's legit.  Store policy for a couple of months now...

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 2 of 6
kc12286
Frequent Contributor

There's a thread for a few months ago, talking about this. I haven't run into this issue yet, but maybe because I've been making relatively small purchases. Just used my Macy's today for $58 purchase (was 65 but I saved $7 by using the card). 

About a year ago the cashier did have to call when I went to make a purchase and had a balance on there. At that point I was told my inital limit at approval was $100 (nothing was listed on the receipt or first bill after my initial approval), so they raised it for that purchase. A few months after that I found out that they had dropped it down again after doing a soft run of my credit and I guess not liking my balances on other cards. I don't shop at Macy's all that often so I don't need a high limit, but it would be nice to know what the limit was. It doesn't really matter now since they no longer have CLs.

In the Garden Club since: 07/05/2017

6/9/2008-TransUnion-703
6/9/2008-Equifax-712
6/9/2008 Experian-635

2/16/2011 Transunion - 675
3/11/2011 Equifax - 688
5/13/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Transunion - 724
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

A lot of folks were surprised and unhappy about Macy's new policy of not reporting CL's on their store cards.

There's a lengthy thread on this topic here. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

A lot of folks were surprised and unhappy about Macy's new policy of not reporting CL's on their store cards.

Thanks for your feedback.  I knew about that thread and when the CL non-report process started. I just didnt equate that to have to call them to check on approval for a charge.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your feedback.  I knew about that thread and when the CL non-report process started. I just didnt equate that to have to call them to check on approval for a charge.

Aahhhh.

Unfortunately, there were quite a few folks that posted about that, too.  But it's all lost in the huge ocean of postings and rants re: Macys (at least on my search).  Some folks had posted that they could call in and get a pre-approval for purchase (that stinks) but it wasn't required and they could just suck it in, go to the register, and cross their fingers that the purchase would go through.  I don't recall anyone getting turned down at the register,....but IIRC someone was hard pulled for a purchase (and IIRC Macy's did remove that hard pull?  Maybe someone else remembers differently).  But things have quieted down, so we're not hearing so much.  I've used mine online and in store without calling ahead and getting a pre-approval.  No problems.  No hard pulls, but I haven't checked the softs (and they don't matter anyway).

Wonder what the next moves will be for Macy's.  I liked my card better before all this funky stuff started.  Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.