cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Store Card - CSR says $4000 CL is on the high side?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's Store Card - CSR says $4000 CL is on the high side?

Just called Macy's backdoor for my every three month CLI request - or GLI if they're still using that term.

The CSR was nice but wondered why I wanted one, since I hadn't used my $4,000 in full recently. 

They did a soft pull (that's what he reported he was seeing, and I checked to make sure).

He said $4,000 is pretty high for a store card, and that my credit must be pretty decent if my CL was that high.  He also said that if I wanted to open a special purchase account to handle any current needs (a family event which will demand mucho shopping), I would probably get a pretty high limit. 

I said, thanks, no new accounts for this gal.

Just really surprised to hear that 4 grand is now considered on the high end of store cards - I've seen old posts with Macy's store cards with much-much higher limits.  Maybe the quiet transition from Citigroup to GEMB is, in fact, having an impact on some of the CL's - which is what some folks had guessed might happen.

Oh, well.  I do hope that the transition to GEMB (if it ever really happens) may at least bring about reported CL's on the Macy's card once again. 

I did notice that my great coupon worked on absolutely nothing that I purchased last week.  But the salesclerk matched the Costco price for a floor steamer cleaner thingy and then discounted it beyond that - so I still gotta love Macy's.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Macy's Store Card - CSR says $4000 CL is on the high side?

My Macy's store card is around $6800 and I never used that much. Max I spent might be $800

Message 2 of 10
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

It may have been just that csr call back if you need higher. Because my cl on macys is 10.5k

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I have 10,700 on mine and when I was at 5k and asked to be increased to 7500, she wondered why but then came back and said it was actually approved to go to 10k if you want it... of course I said yes... of course this is when CL reported, I have not asked for increase since they stopped reporting.

I also have taken 2 special event accounts.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys - those are the numbers I remember seeing.  Smiley Tongue

Were any of those CL's increased since January?

In November, I didn't hear any such language from the CSR - this is new stuff to my "Love to call Macy's backdoor" ears.

Since they didn't hard pull, I may try again in a month or so.  I seriously hope it's not a new trend for Macy's. 

Message 5 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

Currently at 10k on Macy's store card but yeah, now and again a csr will pass a comment upon CLI request, last time it was, 'you have 9k+ limit with zero balance and you want an increase?' kinda thing, just press on.  The one month I had somewhat solid usage 1-2k, the timing worked out for a hefty GLI I think 3 or 4k and from then have got the standard 500-800 increases.  Starting CL 400.  I thought Macy's was not under the GEMB deal but if so would be great to get that CL reporting again.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 10
mross1080
Established Contributor

I have a 5k limit and have never asked for a increase has always been auto. I never keep a balance on it though. I do have a special purchase account with a 3k balance and its seperate from my store card.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know if macyd does a soft or hard pull for a close request?
Message 8 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

to close your account?

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

For a CLI request, they can go either way.  For me, yesterday's was not a hard pull, last November was a hard pull.  They soft me quite a bit, and he said they were going on information they had already gathered on me.  I checked to make sure it wasn't a hard pull - but I did not check to see if it initiated yet another soft pull.  Makes it apparent to me, at least, that they can do it with a soft.  Right after the credit card bill passed a year ago, my recollection was that they were hard pulling everyone at that point.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.