Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Store Card to Macy's AMEX?

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Macy's Store Card to Macy's AMEX?

I was considering calling in a few months to have my card upgraded to a Macy's Amex since I recently had success with a SP CLI to $1,000. Just a few questions though!

1. Is there a certain CL from other creditors these guys are interested in seeing before offering me the AMEX? If so, what's the amount?

2. Is there a certain CL I must have on my Macy's Store before even considering requesting an AMEX upgrade?

3. If my card was upped to a AMEX card, would I have two cards reporting separately on my CR or would it be just one card with the same info?

4. Have you been offered an AMEX upgrade without you calling or is it something that has to be requested?

If anyone has had any experience with the Macy's store card to AMEX, your insight would be much appreciated!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: Macy's Store Card to Macy's AMEX?

Anyone? LOL I'd really appreciate it!

Message 2 of 21
laboi_22
Established Contributor

My understanding from searching this forum and others on the internet, is that Macy's does not upgrade their store cards. They do however allow you to apply for an AMEX either over the phone with CS or in store and you have to specify that you want to apply for Macy's AMEX. They will then add a new account or trade line to your report and the old store card will remain open until you decide to call in and close it. I have not tried and I have no personal experience, but this is what I've read. Any other thoughts out there??

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 3 of 21
Captain4Ever
Established Member

You have to spend over 1k on Macy's store card in one year before being eligible to APPLY for Macy's Amex

Message 4 of 21
laboi_22
Established Contributor

@Captain4Ever wrote:

You have to spend over 1k on Macy's store card in one year before being eligible to APPLY for Macy's Amex

I'm not so sure about this?? Where did you get that information from? Just wondering. If that's the case then I'll be having the store card for A LONG TIME. I don't spend that much money at my local Macy's because the store is somewhat trashy and doesn't carry good brands!

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 5 of 21
Imua
Frequent Contributor

@Captain4Ever wrote:

i apped for a store card while shopping in the store and was informed i was approved.  i was surpriseda week later when my card came in the mail - it was a Macy's AM EX (and store card in one). i didn't even know at the time i apped that such a thing existed Smiley Happy 

it's one card that says Macy's and has the AM EX logo at the bottom. the acct # embossed on the card is the AM EX acct number.  it shows up as 2 TLs on my CRs, and as 2 separate 'accounts' when i go online to pay (each acct has its own acct number). 

when i got my statements in the mail, they came in separate envelopes and each acct has different due dates.

Message 6 of 21
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@Imua wrote:

@Captain4Ever wrote:

i apped for a store card while shopping in the store and was informed i was approved.  i was surpriseda week later when my card came in the mail - it was a Macy's AM EX (and store card in one). i didn't even know at the time i apped that such a thing existed Smiley Happy 

it's one card that says Macy's and has the AM EX logo at the bottom. the acct # embossed on the card is the AM EX acct number.  it shows up as 2 TLs on my CRs, and as 2 separate 'accounts' when i go online to pay (each acct has its own acct number). 

when i got my statements in the mail, they came in separate envelopes and each acct has different due dates.

@Imua wrote:

@Captain4Ever wrote:

That is very odd!

Message 7 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

My sister also recieved a macy's amex when i was with her buying a watch for my other sister. I asked the woman who did the application if it was the store card or the amex and the woman's response was "they're both amex" which i didnt understand. Around a week later my sister called me and told me she got the macys amex card in the mail.
Message 8 of 21
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

1. Not sure, the highest I had were 5200 and 10000 and they gave me 5000.

2. The Macys store I had was also at 1000 when I asked for an upgrade, and I had had it for 22 months.

3. It would be two tradlines. The Macys store would stay the same, and the American Express version would have its own. I think you can still use the old card; I have not tried.

4. I read that they very rarely offer it to people. Maybe for huge spenders who they think will bring them more money.

Based on reviews a lot of people seem confused about the card. If you do not have a Macys store, when you do apply, you will be considered for the American Express version first. If they cannot approve for that, you will get the store card. Even if you do get the American Express the first time, it will still be two tradelines.

The accounts are two seperate ones combined onto one card. As someone pointed out there will be two seperate statements and if you pay the wrong one they will not transfer it without you asking them to. Some people apparently did not know that and got a late payment fee.

There are also two tiers of the card; a black (3% at Macys, 1% everywhere else) and a white (1.5% at Macys, 1% everywhere else.) The black requires you to spend 1000 or more and the white is for everyone else, but if you have not spent 500 with the white you do not earn rewards. The rewards come in the form of  a $25 Macys gift certificate.

I know you did not ask for this, but just in case.

Message 9 of 21
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12
I have had my macys store card since '09 and was started with 300cl. I now have the platinum store card(spent more than 1000) and my cl is 2000. You think its possible to call and pc it to the black macys amex?
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.