Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Store Card to Macy's AMEX?

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: Macy's Store Card to Macy's AMEX?

Probably as I got the Macys store in 2010, so yours is older. It will be a hard pull on Experian though, and they do not seem to care about inquiries as I had about twelve. They say it can take a month to process the application, but it took like three days for me. I did it through an online chat. I say go for it as long as there are no recent bad marks on your credit report.

Message 11 of 21
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12
Damn! I dont want another HP on ex...i think ill have to wait Smiley Sad
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 12 of 21
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:
@navigatethis12
Damn! I dont want another HP on ex...i think ill have to wait Smiley Sad

I didn't either, but I was on a roll with approvals so could not stop myself lol. Nothing wrong with waiting though, it can only help you in the long run.

Message 13 of 21
Captain4Ever
Established Member

Oh, my bad. That's info is for upgrading from Macy's Amex to Macy's Amex preferred. 

https://www.macys.com/service/credit/rewards/index.ognc

Message 14 of 21
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

1. Not sure, the highest I had were 5200 and 10000 and they gave me 5000.

2. The Macys store I had was also at 1000 when I asked for an upgrade, and I had had it for 22 months.

3. It would be two tradlines. The Macys store would stay the same, and the American Express version would have its own. I think you can still use the old card; I have not tried.

4. I read that they very rarely offer it to people. Maybe for huge spenders who they think will bring them more money.

Based on reviews a lot of people seem confused about the card. If you do not have a Macys store, when you do apply, you will be considered for the American Express version first. If they cannot approve for that, you will get the store card. Even if you do get the American Express the first time, it will still be two tradelines.

The accounts are two seperate ones combined onto one card. As someone pointed out there will be two seperate statements and if you pay the wrong one they will not transfer it without you asking them to. Some people apparently did not know that and got a late payment fee.

There are also two tiers of the card; a black (3% at Macys, 1% everywhere else) and a white (1.5% at Macys, 1% everywhere else.) The black requires you to spend 1000 or more and the white is for everyone else, but if you have not spent 500 with the white you do not earn rewards. The rewards come in the form of  a $25 Macys gift certificate.

I know you did not ask for this, but just in case.

I don't like the two seperate treadlines reporting one card. Two bill dates? Yikes!! I'd do better just to get a stand alone Amex b/c thats what it seems to be with Macys...aside from their logo on it...thanks for the info. Maybe I'll wait on reqesting a upgrade if any at all...

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 15 of 21
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

my cl with macys was 2k for a while and now 3.5k with a cli soft pull initiated by me. 

never asked to upgrade and was never asked. 

ive only put about 500 in the past 2 years though. 

besides from what i read the card is only funded by amex network but does not actually help you get into amex minus positive reporting you would get with any other card. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 16 of 21
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

so just got off the chat. 

edited to not include names. 

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to CSR.
CSR:  Welcome to Macy's live chat service.
CSR:  I see your question and would be happy to help.
CSR:  There are no specific requirements to apply for a Macy's American Express® Account.
CSR:  Of course, good credit history helps.
CSR:  Do you have any additional questions I may assist you with today?
ME:  does macy's do product changes from a store card to the american express version?
ME:  or would i have to seperatly apply?
CSR:  I apologize, I don't understand what you mean by product changes.
ME:  I actually have accounts with amex (so my credit is better then ok) and i mean can you change my store card to a amex card macy's card or would the requrie a seperate application?
CSR:  Yes, we can submit a request to upgrade your Macy's store account to a Macy's American Express® Account.
CSR:  There is nothing you need to fill out or submit.
CSR:  Would you like for me to submit that request?
ME:  does it require a hard pull on my credit report?
CSR:  Yes, it will require your credit being pulled.
ME:  i understand but will it be a hard pull or a soft pull?
CSR:  It will be a hard pull.
ME:  ok thank you for the info im not interested at the moment but i will try back at a later date. you have cleared the air as i was told you were not able to upgrade from store to amex version of the card.

CSR:  I apologize for the misinformation.
CSR:  Do you have any additional questions I may assist you with today?
ME:  so can it be done or it cannot?
CSR:  Yes, you can upgrade from a store account to a Macy's American Express® Account.
CSR:  A hard copy of your credit report will also be pulled if you request an upgrade.
ME:  i understand i was just thought you were applogizing because you were misinformed but infact it was the other person. thanks and i appreciate your time.
CSR:  You're welcome, thank you for chatting with Macy's. Have a good day.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 17 of 21
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Having accounts with American Express will not influence them one way or the other about giving you the upgrade. Like you said, the card is just processed on the network and it is not linked to American Express backed cards in any way. It may help out with Citi in the future though.

I am not trying to tell you what to do, but I think it would be a waste to have the card. If you only spent 500 in two years that is only 15 cashback and redemption starts at 25. Just saying, if you do not shop at Macys a lot, there are better cards.

Message 18 of 21
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Having accounts with American Express will not influence them one way or the other about giving you the upgrade. Like you said, the card is just processed on the network and it is not linked to American Express backed cards in any way. It may help out with Citi in the future though.

I am not trying to tell you what to do, but I think it would be a waste to have the card. If you only spent 500 in two years that is only 15 cashback and redemption starts at 25. Just saying, if you do not shop at Macys a lot, there are better cards.

i understand i was just pointing out my credit was not bad. 

i didnt actually plan on applying for it just inquiring. to see if it was possible to upgrade. 

dont have any citi or discover though. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 19 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@creditnocash wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

i understand i was just pointing out my credit was not bad. 

i didnt actually plan on applying for it just inquiring. to see if it was possible to upgrade. 

dont have any citi or discover though. 

I had no idea Macy's Store Credit Card and Macy's American Express Credit Card had so many confusions and questions.

Starting with "Upgrading" is probably not the correct wording and is what is "some" of the overall confusion I think I have read in this thread.

You are not really "Upgrading your Macy's Credit Card from the stand point that now you will have an American Express account that you use at Macy's.

If you apply in store, they will try to approve you for the Macy's American Express and if you don't qualify they will consider you for just the Store Credt Card (Which kind of starts the confusion, Many know of the same "Wording" being used for GE Cards (Walmart Discover, Dillards American Express, Gap Visa, etc. etc.

The difference is if you are approved for Macy's American Express (I will use my joint account as base for information)

Approved in store... Does not give limits for either Card, We hit the limits trying to check out so we found out right away but normally you would see it if you wait for card or if you called from home.  In our case (2008, it was a Visa then not American Express) Anyway, Account opened with a $2k limit on Visa and $1k limit on Store.

Up until about 2009 you could request CLI for both Visa and Store every 3 months!!! Visa also use to come in all store options, red, Gold etc.  They then started making "Guideline Increases" for Store accounts would remain every 3 months but Visa would be every 6 months. (sorry had forgotten that they called store Guidelines = GLI vs. Visa was a Credit Line - CLI)

Anway... Point is it's not really upgrade because it's a whole different account with own limit, own CLI, etc.

and what is also being left out and sorry because might throw in even more confusion but rather you have just store or store and amex version you will also have either a 3rd or even 4th line reporting to your credit, 1 being for "Major Purchase" Jewelry or Furniture.

In end for what ever the reason if you just have store card it seems very hard to get approved to add the American Express account later if not approved when you first apply or if you apply online store card is only option and I believe you are just hurting yourself by applying at home vs. in store even if you don't get the amex account because they are really scardy cats about fraud and online macy's credit cards. (even for long time card holders! I have had my macy's locked up for placing online orders from macys.com, I have even had many orders flat out cancelled!

within just over a year we had $12k Visa, $10,700 Store and one furniture line almost paid about $600 left and approved for a new one for $5800 I believe it was.

I used the accounts a lot but I also almost always asked and was given double the current GL or CL... that's how we went to 12k and 10700 so fast is asking for double.

we were also Elite in first month.

now both store, amex, (furniture, jewelry...if not in special finance) are all 24.5%

Visa use to be 16% which wasn't great but the 24.5 is a high number to choke on if carrying large balance.

*Think I got off target a couple times, so hope it makes sense!! in end if you don't spend much in Macy's the Amex probaby isn't really that great for you unless you get it and have high limit and that helps your over all utility, otherwise in store won't help much because they don't care if you are getting 3% or 1% and they don't know anything about limits just by taking the card, the only good before was more levels and you had to spend over $2500 to get Elite, now at $1k it's  big blah to me.... while some can't imagine spending $1k in a Macy's if I spend big bucks I want it to mean I spend really good money in the store... before Macy's Marshal Fields had a 2nd level that didn't happen until you cleared $4k and then an internal level at $6k... Employees were more friendly and interested in putting you in their books then... made it easier for me too, didn't have to run to the store for every little sale, they knew what i wanted and looked for and would call me when something caught them that they thought I would like.

I think Nordstrom does it best with the private events they run and then for VERY large spenders actual private parties in store!

or on big time level, Saks has 3 or 4 levels up over $20k and not sure if they do it anymore but Neiman Marcus had Gold and Platinum (But you could buy into Gold) but Platinum use to mean they spent more than $100k a year!! That is worth noting! LOL

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.