Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Tradelines

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's Tradelines

At some point, I will need to add a store card in order to improve my (non-existent) credit mix. I guess I will apply for a Macy's card in a few weeks. As far as I heard, Macy's card may actually report two tradelines, one for the store card (which I need) and eventually one for a normal Visa card (which might also be okay). I don't mind getting another Visa tradeline, because I need something I don't use (I use all of my three credit cards at the moment, which seems to be bad for my score).

Anyway, here my question: If I apply for a Macy's card and if I get the Visa right away, will it, nevertheless, report the store card tradeline? Or do I have to apply for the store card only to really make sure that I will get a store card tradeline?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Macy's Tradelines

If you apply online, you're applying for the store card, and unless the agent passes the 'paperwork' to the Visa side, that's all you'll get. If you apply in the store, you can apply for the Visa. The Visa is a double card, meaning you'll have the store cl and the visa cl available and are reported separately (Macy's/DSMB vs Visa/DSNB). You'll usually get a higher starting limit if you apply in the store. When I applied online, I was approved for $800, and during casual conversation, cs asked if I was interested in the Visa and offered to send the paperwork over to them. A second hard pull, but no second application. If you haven't heard this before, Macy's is very good about giving guideline increases (gli) every 90 days, that's what Macy's calls cli. And then just watch for all the sales and discounts.Great people to deal with. Btw, the rewards program has nothing to do with your credit line, it's simply how much you charge at Macy's in a calender year. You can have the Elite Star Rewards card ($2500 spent) and only have $100 cl.
Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you apply online, you're applying for the store card, and unless the agent passes the 'paperwork' to the Visa side, that's all you'll get. If you apply in the store, you can apply for the Visa. The Visa is a double card, meaning you'll have the store cl and the visa cl available and are reported separately (Macy's/DSMB vs Visa/DSNB). You'll usually get a higher starting limit if you apply in the store. When I applied online, I was approved for $800, and during casual conversation, cs asked if I was interested in the Visa and offered to send the paperwork over to them. A second hard pull, but no second application. If you haven't heard this before, Macy's is very good about giving guideline increases (gli) every 90 days, that's what Macy's calls cli. And then just watch for all the sales and discounts.Great people to deal with. Btw, the rewards program has nothing to do with your credit line, it's simply how much you charge at Macy's in a calender year. You can have the Elite Star Rewards card ($2500 spent) and only have $100 cl.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is rare to get the Visa card offered. Many people have had the store card for years with high scores and have never had it offered.

When I applied I made sure that I would just get the store card as I did not want 2 new tradelines. They said I would be asked if I wanted it if I was eligible and that it wouldn't just show up at my doorstep one day.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys. Looks as if I cannot do anything wrong if I want to have at least the store card.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.