Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Upgrade Fail

tag
Charger_Fan19
Contributor

Macy's Upgrade Fail

The other day I was at Macy's and the cashier asked me about upgrading my Macy's store card to the Macy's Amex and I figured sure what the heck I'll save even more. I got the 7-10 days response which wasn't entirely shocking because I was an AU on an Amex that was closed during financial review. Just checked the mail and they sent me another Macy's store card with a different account number and credit line than the one I've had for years. I'm wondering if I should call and cancel the card and mention the existing account or just sock drawer it for a utilization boost. Has this happened to anyone else?

Starting Score: EQ 500 TU 500 EX 500
Current Score: EQ 647 TU 685 EX 684 9/2/16 Recommitted to Fico Health! Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 700
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Macy's Upgrade Fail

Welcome to the whacky world of Macy's where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I'm not surprised they sent you a second card with a new account because they do weird things. I'd call and ask about rolling that card into your existing cards limit, if they won't just sock drawer it for now . And as an FYI being an AU on that closed Amex is irrelevant unless it was a Macy's Amex. Amex cards are issued by centurion bank and have nothing to do with Macy's issued Amex cards which are issued by DSNB, just like your store card.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's things like this that keep me from getting the Macy's card. The perks just don't seem worth the BS.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:
Welcome to the whacky world of Macy's where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. I'm not surprised they sent you a second card with a new account because they do weird things. I'd call and ask about rolling that card into your existing cards limit, if they won't just sock drawer it for now . And as an FYI being an AU on that closed Amex is irrelevant unless it was a Macy's Amex. Amex cards are issued by centurion bank and have nothing to do with Macy's issued Amex cards which are issued by DSNB, just like your store card.

Wow...that is fair of you. I would have guessed the right pointer doesn't know what the right middle is even doing.

It is a shame how bad the service got last year. I miss the small perks but not the hassle of maintaining.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They may end up closing one of the cards.  It's my understanding that Macy's only lets you have one individual and one joint card at a time.  Things may have changed, but that was their policy when I worked there.

Message 5 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

They may end up closing one of the cards.  It's my understanding that Macy's only lets you have one individual and one joint card at a time.  Things may have changed, but that was their policy when I worked there.

+1

Years ago I applied for a McRae's card (now Belk) and didn't hear back... a few weeks later I went to a store and applied in person and was approved.  About a week after that - you guessed it - I got a card from the application I had mailed in, leaving me with two McRae's cards (both with tiny credit lines).

I called in to see if they would combine the limits, but the CSR cut me off in near mid-sentence and told me the one with no balance would be closed immediately.  Had I made a purchase on both cards (or simply kept my mouth shut) it might have been handled differently, or maybe not.  Due to the efficiency (and resolve) of the CSR in closing the extra card, I suspect that even with a balance on both they would have eventually closed one or the other and I would have been making payments on the closed card until it was PIF.

I realize this thread is about a Macy's account (as well as present-day versus years ago) so it might be handled differently now.  I would just say to not be surprised, and YMMV.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

DSNB is not very organized and unfortunately this illustrates that point. Sorry that you now have two. Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I asked for a new card to be mailed to me because i had lost my original one. When the card came i initially thought it was a new number since the last 4 digits differed from my Macys online account. .. called CSR and explained my concern, she said they are different numbers but not a new account and if I use the physical card I will see those transactions appear online ... essentially one account and both numbers belong to the same and are merged ... just in case this is a similar situation thought I would share ..
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.