Did you mean: 

Macy's - Use or Lose

tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Macy's - Use or Lose

Hi FICO Family,
I opened a Macys CC in July 2016 for the sole purpose of buying this $4K sectional on sale for $1,100 and 0% interest for 12 mos. I do not want to purchase anything else. Actually, I can break the card in half. My question: Will my card be considered "not in use" and closed by Macy's if I don't use it again in the remaining 10 mos.? If yes, would it be best that I close it, and of course, continuing paying it off while 0% int. Thanks.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Macy's - Use or Lose

Generally a lender is not going to close a card for "not in use" if you have a balance and are making on time payments
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ill never do business with Macys again because they did something simillar to me . I hadnt used my card in about 1 year and i go to use it and they had dropped the limit down, it was SOOOO embarrassing in front of people at the store is how i found out; needless to say i closed it that same day. Macys even had the nerve to get nasty as to why I would even ask them about my CL being dropped. Word to the wise keep in use until you dont need it anymoreSmiley Wink

Message 3 of 7
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:
Hi FICO Family,
I opened a Macys CC in July 2016 for the sole purpose of buying this $4K sectional on sale for $1,100 and 0% interest for 12 mos. I do not want to purchase anything else. Actually, I can break the card in half. My question: Will my card be considered "not in use" and closed by Macy's if I don't use it again in the remaining 10 mos.? If yes, would it be best that I close it, and of course, continuing paying it off while 0% int. Thanks.

The clock to close won't start until after your last payment / statement showing last payment prints.  From that time you probably have 12 months until they drop the limit down to say $100-$300 and then another clock starts before they just close it.  As long as you have payment activity though it's being used.

Message 4 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditInspired wrote:
Hi FICO Family,

Paying on a balance is activity, so if you want to make no further purchases and just want to pay on this item, you can do so without worry.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 7
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ill never do business with Macys again because they did something simillar to me . I hadnt used my card in about 1 year and i go to use it and they had dropped the limit down, it was SOOOO embarrassing in front of people at the store is how i found out; needless to say i closed it that same day. Macys even had the nerve to get nasty as to why I would even ask them about my CL being dropped. Word to the wise keep in use until you dont need it anymoreSmiley Wink

Really?  I'm sure you had other plastic available when you're at the register.  It's nothing personal for a decline.  Sometimes it's a glitch in the CC processing network, sometimes it's a fraud alert, and other times it's just not keeping up with your card status.  I do however agree that keeping track of the status can be a pain with their new website layout and pushing you to the DSNB(Citi) side to view account details.  I'm actually just letting the clock tick on this one for now as well to let it auto close itself since I don't use it and the limit is small in comparison to my other accounts at this point.  

Message 6 of 7
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thanks everybody for responding. This is exactly what I needed to know.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.