Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's & inactive account, yet open, Please note below - GREAT SUCCESS

tag
pokerpro
Frequent Contributor

Macy's & inactive account, yet open, Please note below - GREAT SUCCESS

Hello everyone

My wife has a Macy's card,. I really want the benefit of the long history although its low limit only 500, But the account has opened back in 97.

The card shows as open in all credit reports, yet when she called Macy, rep indicated that its inactive due to no activity, and that she has to apply for a new card

but that defeats the purpose, we want the age , and I was hoping to add myself as authroized user eventually

any advice? or anyone came across anything similar???

Message Edited by pokerpro on 09-02-2008 05:05 AM

BK7 Discharge: October 2004 Starting Score: 590 March 2018 EQ & EX & TU FICO Score: 846 & 847 & 850

Goal Score: 800+ across the board | Goals Hit: 3 Active Cards: 2

Gardening Since: October 2015 Garden Goal: Oct 2018

Wish List: | None

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Macy's & inactive account, yet open, Please note below

Wonder what would happen if she tried to use it in the store...maybe it still works if they are still reporting it open. Ya never know...I'd try it before I applied again.
Message 2 of 16
pokerpro
Frequent Contributor

she lost the card, which triggered calling them,

i dont think they will send a new card when the account is stated as inactive

any advice

BK7 Discharge: October 2004 Starting Score: 590 March 2018 EQ & EX & TU FICO Score: 846 & 847 & 850

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take the account number off of credit report.  Go into Macy's store and try to charge something.  This will let you know if you can.  You don't have to have a card to charge, just acct. number.  At least, this is what they told me on my acct before I received the card.  2 weeks ago, I went into Macy's and charged $129.00 for 2 suits with just the number written down on paper.

Message 4 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

And you can try the same thing online. I've read where people have revived accounts this way. Long as you don't need that pesky 3-digit code on the back, but store cards often don't have these.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would call again and inquire. Just because one CSR says no doesn't mean it can't be done. Maybe ask for a supervisor. I know I read recently about a person getting their account reopened after like 9 years. They were bragging about having all that age added to their reports. If it works, please let us know. Or even if it doesn't. Good luck.
Message 6 of 16
pokerpro
Frequent Contributor

Thanks alot guys for your suggestions

I will try the store option
and calling again and talking to a different CSR, or a supervisor

I will definitely post either the success of failure of my attempt

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not call again. Don't need to stir the pot or get in touch with a CSR that may be able to really close the account.  It may just be in an inactive state and sometimes using the card will wake things up even if the CSR does say it's closed.
Message 8 of 16
pokerpro
Frequent Contributor

UPUP - I will take your advice and not call again

it is inactive status, according the CSR when we called few days ago, he agreed its open but inactive
which is consistent with the credit report anyway

Experian does not show the full account number, would any of the other credit reports do that..

or perhaps just go to a Macy's and see if we can charge something just with the name address and SSN number

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes the other reports will give you different parts of the account number. Maybe you can use all three to piece together the actual account number. If you pull directly from one of the bureaus it may give you more of the Acct# as well. A lot of times I get more information from the reports directly from the individual bureaus. I go in and just say you want to take advantage of the sales and just realized you don't have your card on you, it's been a while since you've used and it and you were wondering if they could look it up. Go to customer service with something in your hand. They'll be less liekly to turn you away if you are ready to buy, I think.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.