cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's and Amex conversion options to keep a trade line date?

tag
CBetc
Contributor

Macy's and Amex conversion options to keep a trade line date?

Hello all! Long-time lurker, few-time poster.

I've had a Macy's card account since 1997. I'd considered over the years upgrading to the Macy's AMEX (or just getting an AMEX through some other option -- eg, Costco), but had never done so.

With word of the various Macy's Card consolidations occuring soon, I'm wondering if there's a "backdoor" way in to achieving an older AMEX trade line date.

Does anyone know if Macy's has answered questions to folks about Macy's and Amex TL consolidation (either "upgraded" or a new TL), and which date would be used in a consolidated account? I've been searching on the forums and it seems like everyone's been told something different. That being said, hopefully they're starting to get some firm answers out there since we're getting so close to the date.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Macy's and Amex conversion options to keep a trade line date?

@CBetc wrote:

I've had a Macy's card account since 1997. I'd considered over the years upgrading to the Macy's AMEX (or just getting an AMEX through some other option -- eg, Costco), but had never done so.

With word of the various Macy's Card consolidations occuring soon, I'm wondering if there's a "backdoor" way in to achieving an older AMEX trade line date.

Does anyone know if Macy's has answered questions to folks about Macy's and Amex TL consolidation (either "upgraded" or a new TL), and which date would be used in a consolidated account? I've been searching on the forums and it seems like everyone's been told something different. That being said, hopefully they're starting to get some firm answers out there since we're getting so close to the date.

Yes, they are merging everything to the Amex IF you have one.  If not, then it all merges to the store card.

EDITING TO CLARIFY:  The Macy's American Express Card program is issued and administered by Department Stores National Bank. (part of Citibank down the line)

It's not a Centurion Amex card.  You have to ask for the upgrade, but my letter from Macy's said they ARE combining all of my accounts into the Macy's Amex card so I only have one card instead of two cards plus the other lines of credit.  I think it simplifies things.  My letter states that it happens on August 16 for me.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

From my understanding, American Express is no longer backdating credit cards. I believe the backdating only applied to Amex cards, not cobranded ones. I think if you want to obtain an Macy's American Express, you will have to apply for it.

If you have the scores, I would apply for the American Express BCE or Everyday card. Good luck!!!
Message 3 of 5
CBetc
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CBetc wrote:

Yes, they are merging everything to the Amex IF you have one.  If not, then it all merges to the store card.

EDITING TO CLARIFY:  The Macy's American Express Card program is issued and administered by Department Stores National Bank. (part of Citibank down the line)

It's not a Centurion Amex card.  You have to ask for the upgrade, but my letter from Macy's said they ARE combining all of my accounts into the Macy's Amex card so I only have one card instead of two cards plus the other lines of credit.  I think it simplifies things.  My letter states that it happens on August 16 for me.

Yeah, that's more my question: I wonder if it's too late to apply for the Macy's American Express Card now, in the hopes that my old Macy's card will then get merged into a single old Macy's Amex card.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CBetc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CBetc wrote:

Yeah, that's more my question: I wonder if it's too late to apply for the Macy's American Express Card now, in the hopes that my old Macy's card will then get merged into a single old Macy's Amex card.

All they do when you upgrade is roll your old Macy's/Bloomingdale's card into an Am Ex. It's no big deal if your scores and payment history are good. You have one card to use outside or inside the store. Do it today and by early next week you'll see the Am Ex logo on your file if approved. You aren't losing history.  They know how long you've had your account.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.