Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's guideline increase

tag
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

Macy's guideline increase

Just called in tonight to try to get a guideline increase. The csr I spoke too said that she had to put me on hold because they were working with a another dept on Guideline increase. Then when she came back on line she ask me if they can pull my credit report. I said was it going to be a hard or soft pull. I told every since I had the card its been a soft. She put me back on hold because she didnt know and when she came back on phone she  told me it would be a hard pull. I told her no i did not want them to pull a hard, that i would just wait to get a automatic one if they going pull a hard inquiry now .I said from now on asking for guideline increases going be hard inquiry now. She said yes. Has anyone ask for a guideline increase this year? Also what nbr did you call. I called the nbr on the back of card. I have had this card since aug 08. Never had anyone ask if they can pull my credit report.
Message Edited by elaine829 on 02-12-2010 04:41 PM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
tray
Valued Contributor

Re: Macy's guideline increase

Hi, thanks for writing this thread I have had a Macy's card since May of 2008 and all cli's have been soft I am due next week for another cli, I hope this is not the case now of hard inquiries for cli's hopefully it is just this representative did not know what she was doing I will post my results when I call next week.  Also if I was you I would call again and speak with another rep and just inquire, you never know.  Good Luck.

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 9
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

I just called again the first csr did not know what she was talking about. The second csr said it would be a soft pull. Also i used the backdoor nbr on this forum instead of the nbr on the back of the card. But didnt get the increase. But i kind of knew i wouldnt because i had balances on most of my cards. On a another thread someone said they had a high balance on their card and they had balances on other cards and still got a guideline increase thats why i tried. I will pay down my balances and try in june or aug. I didnt ask her if its every 3mths or 6mths. 
Message 3 of 9
Elitex
Established Member

I opened my macy's account in january with a credit limit of $100, credit score on EQ was 592 at the time. I had charged $82 and paid the whole thing off in the first bill. Just called last night to check my balance, they automatically gave me a CLI to $400 without asking for it. credit score in begining of feb was 599 EQ.  I was so surprised, i thought i would have to wait 6 mos or so, i didnt even have to speak to a csr!!
Message 4 of 9
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

HI! I called earlier this morning bc it was 3-4 months from my last increase.  My limit on the store card was $5600.  The lady I called and talked to said you balance is only $200 and your credit line is $5600 and you still want an increase? I said yes please.  She sounded shocked, like you have all those unused credit and ou still want one.  She said how much would you like I said well in the past when I've called in I think I've been granted around $700, so lets say $800 she said OK.

She came back and kind of giggled.  She said you must be one of the only ones I've seen still getting increases.  She said it actually approved your for $1100 instead of $800 is that ok? I was like sure it is thank you so much!

~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 5 of 9
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

Good Increase!! I will get my balances down on my cards and call again in july or i might even wait till dec. I just get excited when i get a credit increases. Its like a rush. I dont know what my wxperian is but my equifax is 680 and transunion 660.
Message 6 of 9
ficonewbie01
Regular Contributor

In Aug 09, I opened a card with starting limit of $800.00.  I checked my report few days ago and saw a nice bump to $2000.00. Smiley Happy

I have a club account with Macys for $1100.00. There's been no change in limit for the club.

4/30/10: EQ 705 | TU 687
6/09/09: EQ 656 | TU 638 | EX 675 (FICO from LO)
5/11/09: EQ 584 | TU 539
Message 7 of 9
leaf33
Valued Member

I think maybe Macy's is going through some changes in their CLI policies. I called in a couple of weeks ago for a credit line increase and had the same issue about hard or soft credit pull. In talking to the first CSR, she told me it would be a hard pull. When I told her that it had always been a soft pull in the past, she double checked and then told me it would be soft. So I received a nice increase and I am now up to a 15K CL. They told me this was pretty much the top end for this card and I had the distinct impression they did not want to request another CLI. I think they are annoyed because I don't use the card that much, maybe a $1500 charged per year. I checked my credit reports a few days latter to find Macy's had done a hard pull with Experian. I called back and after talking to three people they agreed to remove the inquiry from my report which they have already done.
Message 8 of 9
ShootingStar
Regular Contributor

Wanted to let everyone know my experience with Macy's in the last week.  I called the number on the back of my card on Feb. 7 to inquire about making payments online vs. in person -- how quickly they would post to my account, etc.  The rep said it would post immediately, but that the credit wouldn't be available until midnight the following day.  I made the comment that having such a low cl was so inconvenient that I could hardly make a purchase.  The rep then made the statement that she noticed I've only had my card for about four months, and that I should wait until I've had the card for six months before requesting a gli.

I said "thanks for the advice"!

Forward to last night, Feb 16 -- I received a notice in the mail stating that I had been turned down for a cli and that they made a hard inquiry through Experian.  I was infuriated.  So I just got off the phone with a rep moments ago (took a good 1/2 hour or so to straighten out).

The rep stated that their policy has changed due to the "recession" -- that they used to do soft pulls, but now must do hard pulls because they consider external credit history for gli's (are they not able to do this with a soft pull???).  I then told him that I did not actually request a gli and never gave permission for my credit report to be pulled.  We went back and forth a bit while he placed me on hold to speak with a manager a couple of times -- and long story short -- they finally agreed to remove the inquiry from my report, and assured me that they would not make future hard pulls without my permission.

Whew!  A lot to go through for such a small balance on a card.  I thanked him for his assistance and then kindly informed him that this was far too much trouble and that I would simply use my other credit cards in the future.

Argh.....

Message Edited by ShootingStar on 02-17-2010 01:51 PM
"It's myFICO and I can cry if I want to!"

Starting Score January 1, 2010: 640
Current Scores Updated Sept. 6, 2011: EQ: 765 / TU: 778 / EX PLUS: 773
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

"Working my way up!" Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.