Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macys CLI

tag
shirleyland
Valued Member

Macys CLI

I was just checking my CR and discovered that Macys has increased my Cl from 300 to 2000. I am THRILLED. I started off with 200 in Dec 2007. I called in April to request CL and was only given a 100 CL. Has this happen to anyone without asking?
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Macys CLI

Same here. Mine went from $800 to $2500 this month. I haven't called for an increase lately since I haven't used the account in a few months.

I got the card Jan/Feb of this year.
Message 2 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called Macy's today on my first Acct. and recieved a $100 increase.

I checked my other Acct. and recieved a $1,000 in crease w/o asking.

Go figure?
Message 3 of 30
islandchild82
Frequent Contributor

shirleyland wrote:
I was just checking my CR and discovered that Macys has increased my Cl from 300 to 2000. I am THRILLED. I started off with 200 in Dec 2007. I called in April to request CL and was only given a 100 CL. Has this happen to anyone without asking?

Congrats! That's a HUGE increase!
Message 4 of 30
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

You either have to wait six months or until they give you an auto-CLI with Macys. If you ask too soon they may give you $100 and/or an admonition to call back in six months. (In this case there is a sale next week!) Of course they may give you nothing. If you are making a major purchase and are in the store that is a different matter and is handled right on the spot.
Message 5 of 30
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

I went from 600 to 1k by asking, then about 6 months later it was an auto from 1k to 2.5k.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 6 of 30
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

WhirledPeasPlease wrote:
WaMu Pre-App Count = Lost Count

I think your counter just got reset!
Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called a week ago and asked for a CLI - they upped me from $1400 to $2100. I almost wish now I'd just left it, maybe they would have auto-CLI'd me.

I actually had no idea Macy's even did auto-CLI... I might just wait without asking this time and see what happens. Six months, you think? (That 'you' is a general one, meaning anyone who might know!) Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 30
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

fevmlo wrote:
I called a week ago and asked for a CLI - they upped me from $1400 to $2100. I almost wish now I'd just left it, maybe they would have auto-CLI'd me.

I actually had no idea Macy's even did auto-CLI... I might just wait without asking this time and see what happens. Six months, you think? (That 'you' is a general one, meaning anyone who might know!) Smiley Happy

What's the difference? Macys screeens your credit continually. They have a number in the computer on your record. If you call and ask for a CLI and what you ask for (or what they offer you) is at or under that number they give it to you. If you ask for something over that number they will hard INQ and maybe give it to you. They have to do this as you may be shopping in store and need a credit bump at a time when the credit analysts are not available (read: Sunday) and an MR is not possible. At some point in time part of your theoretical CL may be added to your actual CL and you would view that as an auto-CLI. With Macys there is no harm in asking - every six months - but not more often!

In my case I wanted a CLI for CBR/scoring purposes as I was app'ing for other credit. I called Macys and asked what they could do for me w/o a hard INQ. CSA asked what did I have in mind? I suggested $2K (i think). He looked in his computer and said I could have $3.1K. I said make it $3K (a nice round number) and it was instantly done. When would any of that have shown up as an auto-CLI? Who knows, but I am sure it would have eventually. Some of us want/need eventually to be today.
Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jmbfl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What's the difference? Macys screeens your credit continually. They have a number in the computer on your record. If you call and ask for a CLI and what you ask for (or what they offer you) is at or under that number they give it to you. If you ask for something over that number they will hard INQ and maybe give it to you. They have to do this as you may be shopping in store and need a credit bump at a time when the credit analysts are not available (read: Sunday) and an MR is not possible. At some point in time part of your theoretical CL may be added to your actual CL and you would view that as an auto-CLI. With Macys there is no harm in asking - every six months - but not more often!

In my case I wanted a CLI for CBR/scoring purposes as I was app'ing for other credit. I called Macys and asked what they could do for me w/o a hard INQ. CSA asked what did I have in mind? I suggested $2K (i think). He looked in his computer and said I could have $3.1K. I said make it $3K (a nice round number) and it was instantly done. When would any of that have shown up as an auto-CLI? Who knows, but I am sure it would have eventually. Some of us want/need eventually to be today.

Yeah, I suppose - the number that's in the computer is the number that's in the computer and that's the end of it! I suppose that number increases a bit every 90 days, and then, eventually, you get auto-CLI'd. The auto-CLIs I'm reading about seem pretty big, but that's probably because the people in question hadn't already requested 3 CLIs in the previous 12 months. When I first got my Macy's card (April 2007, $100 limit), I read about how they were great with increasing your credit line, and assumed that would be automatic, It was only months and months later (I forget how many months) that I realized you could actually ASK them. I even asked the CSR whether it would happen automatically and he just said 'oh, you can call up every 90 days to ask for a guideline increase'.

So that's what I've been doing. And you're right - there is no difference, I'm sure (other than that it would be nice to be surprised by an unexpected CLI, but that would involve patience and not requesting them before Macy's gets the chance to do their automatic thing!) - the eventual CL is hardly going to end up lower by asking for it than by sitting back and waiting.

Still... auto CLIs are good! Only one I've had (in this lifetime - ie since moving to the US!) was a whole $100 extra from GE, taking my Banana Republic card from $500 to $600 at the 6 month mark.
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.