Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macys Dispute?

tag
Se1re

Macys Dispute?

Hey everyone,

It's my first time posting here, so nice to meet you all! I've been wandering around the forums for a few months now trying to learn as much as possible about credit as I can (I'm only 22). I have three credit cards right now all of which were open in 2009. One which is a B of A student Visa, a clothes cc, and a Macy's credit card ( which is what has finally pushed me to post here). 

My Macy's credit card was opened in October of 2009 with a $500 limit that was quickly increased to $2000. Since then, I have had a perfect payment record except for a late in March of 2012. The amount was for $176 and I was only late because I never received a bill for that month, and never received a Macy's e-mail (which I don't even get now, even though I use my e-mail as my login name and it is linked to the Macys account). I wound up checking my Macy's account online 15 days after the 30 day mark and paid the balance off in full when I realised the late, but the late was already recorded. Due to this delinquincy, my score plummeted nearly 70 points! Like I previously stated, I have been trying to gain as much information from this forum as I could for months in which I discovered the concept of Good Will. I contacted Macy's using one of the backdoor numbers listed here in the middle of March '13 in regards to this matter, my request was denied and I requested to speak to a manager who also denied me. I called back three times in two weeks to see if I could land on a sympathetic being, but to my dismay there was no light.

My explanations: 

I had never received the bill in the mail
     -Macy's replied that they did not receive any return mail therefore they concluded I had received the bill. (I had not).

I had never received an e-mail, and still have never received any e-mails from Macy's

-Macy's says that my registered e-mail is correct, and that is enough to verify that I get their e-mails.

I had brought up the argument about Macy's switching from their previous mail client in 2009 (recommended from a thread in this forum) for their Amex customers (even though I am not) which could have been the reason for the loss of my e-mail, but due to my card not being the Macy's Amex I was not effected. 

Now, I have checked my MyFico ScoreWatch and I have found this:

Previously reportedNewly reported
Balance:$0 
Past due:$0$0
Last activity:1/1/20131/1/2013
Description:Charge
Amount in H/C column is credit limit

Consumer disputes this account information
Charge
Amount in H/C column is credit limit

I have searched but haven't really found any information regarding if the "Consumer disputes this account information" effects my credit score or not, or what happens from here? This Alert change happened on March 22nd. I originally just wanted the delinquincy removed because it was only a first offense and a one month late, but now I'm worried that this new comment may have a worse effect on me, or I may not be able to get the delinquincy removed at all.. 

Would anyone please be able to share some insight on what steps I might take from here? Will this new comment effect my score; I am not sure what the dispute will reveal or how long it takes, or if it is worth it. I have read that if it comes back that they find nothing wrong, they may not redispute for removal in the future (this is my main concern).

My Credit score last pulled was a 734 (before this comment was added). This is the only late that I have had which is why I would like it removed from my credit report, so it is scotch free! 

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much everyone and I hope to have a great time on the forum!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Macys Dispute?

Welcome to the forum Se1re!

If I'm reading your Post correctly your payment was more than 30 days late and as such the late payment was recorded on your cr. instead of calling, write a goodwill letter to the EO. Explain that you are aware of your error and that you have been a valuable customer and would appreciate consideration by removing the derogatory mark. Stress your previous excellent payment history and your commitment as a loyal shopper.

IMO, re hashing a payment that is essentially 60 days past due will not get them to do you a favor. Sometimes you catch more bees with honey. 😉

AFAIK, the dispute wording on your bureau will have no affect one way or another. Basically it lets a lender who is doing a manual review know that you are disputing an item. The derog will still affect your CS and will do so until permanently deleted.

Good luck!
Message 2 of 7
Se1re

Thank you so much Lexie! You have certainly lessened my stress level. The reason I am so worried is because I will be applying for a car loan (or lease) within the next few months-december depending on what I decide to do. My other goal is to apply for the American Express Blue Cash Everyday, but I'm not sure if I'd get accepted with only three years credit history, my 734 (that ScoreWatch says I have; I haven't had a hard pull in years), and the Macy's delinquincy. 

Would you, or anyone else here, happen to have Macy's EO contact information? Any more help would be wonderful!

Message 3 of 7
TimeToRecover
Established Contributor

Welcome,

I know this is the age of doing and wanting everything instantly but GW will not be instant.  I see you have called etc but from what I have read if the calls don't work do it in a good old fashioned snail mail GW Letter.  Be very polite and as said above point out your excellent past  payment history.  Remember they are doing you the favor and it is not something that you have a right too.  It is purely something they can do if they feel like it.  So let the honey and sugar flow from your fingers in your words as you ask for this favor.   

Starting Score: 570 ish
Current Score:EX (701) EQ (711) TU (705)
Goal Score: 750
In My Wallet: GE Care Credit (8K) BestBuy (6K) BofA Cash Rewards Signature Visa (7K) Cap One Quicksilver (10.5K) Chase Freedom (4K) Lowes (6K) VS Angel Card (2.4K), Macys (4K)
Message 4 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

I am in a similar situation with you, and I kinda gave up trying to have mine removed.

I had a Macy's late payment for $2 back in July 2006. The $2 is due to finance fees, not something I purchased.

Like what you did, I called them many times to see if they could remove it. Everytime the response I got was that the information was reported accurately since I was indeed late, so there's nothing they can do to remove it. They sorta implied that they will be "lying" or "cheating" if they removed it, so I didn't want to harp too much on it and gave up on the call. Over the past years, I've called to ask about this at least 2 times a year. I just called again about this 2 months ago, even though this late is going to fall off May 2013. I have written 2 goodwill letters and both came back with similar responses to what I got in my phone calls.

The dispute is showing on your CR because you are trying to dispute the late payment on your CR. It will fall off automatically after it's resolved.

While the account is in dispute, it is NOT factored into AAoA, total CL, account history etc for your scoring. Assuming this account is older than your AAoA, you should see a score dip, AAoA dip, total CL dip, utilization ratio increase, which will decrease your score and make your file look thinner. However, the late is still notated and will still show up on your CR even while in dispute. I have an account in dispute because a merchant didn't send me an item I paid for, so I had to explain to Barclays recon when I applied about why one of my account is labelled as in dispute. Not a big deal.

Hopefully, you have much better luck than I did.

The main reason I wrote this wall of text is to tell you that your 70 point drop isn't necessarily due to just the late payment.

Because your account is in dispute, your util ratio went up, AAoA went down etc, all of which contributed to your score drop as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 7
Se1re

The 70 point credit dip happened in March of 2012 when the late initially hit my credit report, it was 620 or so back then compared to what it should have been. I've done much work on my score in the past months to put it where ScoreWatch says it is now which is the 734. I can only hope that is acurate for now though. Good luck with your dispute as well enharu!

PS: If anyone would have any insight in regards to if my credit with this late on it would be acceptable for an amex BC or if the late would ruin the hope for me? How long would I have to wait after the late to apply to become accepted? I know there are more variables then this included, I'm just curious as to how bad this might effect my chances! Thank you so much everyone!

Message 6 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

One 30 day late will not be an auto denial from Amex. Your entire credit profile will determine approval.

Good luck!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.