Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macys amex question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macys amex question

wanting to apply for the macys amex card to get 20% xmas shopping. is amex offered only after having the store card for a while or is it based on credit history.

Also wondering which CRA macys pulls. I am in ohio.

Thanks

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
lakerfan2011
Regular Contributor

Re: Macys amex question

you have to get both cards if you apply you get the amex card and the store card the amex comes with a limit on it and the store card has no limit and they have to approve every transaction you make before you do inside the store instead of getting a limit its retarted.  i would recommend after i got approved i got rid of mine its totally retarted.

Message 2 of 17
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

Macy's is primarily EX puller.  Hard limits are soon returning on Macy's store cards somewhere around January.  I was told this summer that it was to be before end of year, but very soon.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 3 of 17
score_building
Senior Contributor

700+ EX is one indication of an approvable range of EX FICO score.  Have to apply in-store to have a shot at the Amex.  

Online app will only yield store card, if approved

but they're reportedly undergoing quite a bit of change these days.  

Recently a Macy's Amex luv button showed up online Smiley Surprised not sure if it is hard or soft.

I have one of those Macy's mystery GL store cards, last reported GL was low five digit, started at 400 IIRC.

Nice sales and discounts but if it matters both store and Amex have a punishing 24.9 APR, a PIF only product for sure.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 17
Elated
Contributor

I believe it is based solely on credit history. I just called 3 days ago to inquire about getting this card. The CSR informed me that I either have to come into the store or call the CS number back in order to apply.

I have had my regular macy's card for 6 years.

I hope this helps!Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

As posted, apply in store and it will try to give you Macy's Amex with store first and if it can't qualify it will offer store or nothing. They usually pull EX. Even if you did not want Amex I would still apply in store, Macy's is known to be very untrusting of applications online and tend to set very low limits on store cards until you come into store and prove who you are... but right now they are not doing limits on store but still suspect your internal limit would be low.

Both Amex and Store are at a fabulous 24.5% interest so I would not suggest carrying a balance!

I do miss my CL on store only because it was $10,700 with 0 balance so really helped my util, but the negative talk and issues with using Macy's Store Card in stores because each transaction has to be approved is a little over the top.  They are basically giving you an Amex Charge card now with the store card, you will have an internal limit and unless you were on the way to the store to spend 2+k I would not think 2 bout it... The system will do the approvals in seconds just like an Amex and if it has questions or your charge is above your internal limit you can proably have it resolved in a minute on the phone between employee and credit.

ALL CLI should also be a soft pull, the reps will usually tell you a hard is possible but I have personally never seen one and I request increases every 3-4 months but reently think they may have gone to 6 months intervals... in addition I almost always ask for at least double my current limit on CLI and usually have gotten it or more.

I have also done 2 club accounts for furniture, also with no credit pulls.

Rewards are pretty good to especially when you get into the Black Elite Card.

Message 6 of 17
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

I was wondering if there were any updates to this thread, because the discussion of several months ago mentions "things are changing" and I'm interested in applying for a Macy's card.  Not sure if I should try for the Macy's Amex, or what. 

Message 7 of 17
laboi_22
Established Contributor

I am really frustrated with Macy's. I just might close the account since they don't seem to want to report the CL. They have been saying they would and it was supposed to be done by early February. It's now June. It does me no good to have this account and actually there are no rewards for using the account. No rewards, no reported CL, WTH am I doing with this card still open??

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 8 of 17
Cloudlb
Regular Contributor

I hear you, and I've read some of the other threads about Macy's, which make me wary.  But I think we should be wary of all credit cards anyway.   I think I will probably apply for the regular store card.  I shop there and like their clothes, and they have good sales sometimes.  Would like to add another account; don't much care about the CL, and plan to pay in full each month, for sure. 

Message 9 of 17
laboi_22
Established Contributor

I shop there frequently. I've been using either my Zync or BCE. I get rewards that way then I just PIF. Also Discover is a good deal when it comes to shopping online for Macy's. BCE always gets 2% cash back at department stores. 

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.