cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macys card reports monthly even though it's closed?!?

tag
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Macys card reports monthly even though it's closed?!?

I have a Macys card from 1999 that was closed in 2004 and paid off in 2007. However it's still reporting every month. When I check my reports through equifax.com, experian.com & transunion.com they all show the open & closed dates correctly but show the last reported date as 8/11. Also on EQ & TU I get those little green squares all the way up to this month instead of when it was closed like my other closed accounts. This is weird but it's awesome because it's my oldest tradeline.

1. Is this normal for Macys?

2. Since it's already there, should I see if they can re-open it and keep the original open date? Or would that be equivalent to poking a sleeping bear?

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Macys card reports monthly even though it's closed?!?

Their reporting is weird. Mine is open but yet reports closed on EQ. Same for Bloomingdales. I know Bloomies is open at least because I successfully ordered something online this past week.

Message 2 of 8
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I don't know if it's normal.  Apparently, I had a Macy's card from 10-12 years ago that's still reporting.  I have a "new" one that I use that I got in '08.  I don't the old account number or really remember anything about it, except that it had a $100 limit now being reported as "charge" and open!   Smiley Wink

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, Macy's is weird, I' ve paid off my major purchase and table top accounts, but they' re merged with the revolving account and they are all showing open. I am still truly, truly pissed at Macy's for not showing credit limits and it is really hurting my score. My credit limit used to be combined $10,000 so ouch. Once I pay them off completely, I will be closing these accounts as soon ad it hits the CRA.
Message 4 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes, Macy's is weird, I' ve paid off my major purchase and table top accounts, but they' re merged with the revolving account and they are all showing open. I am still truly, truly pissed at Macy's for not showing credit limits and it is really hurting my score. My credit limit used to be combined $10,000 so ouch. Once I pay them off completely, I will be closing these accounts as soon ad it hits the CRA.

I miss the days of reported limits. Per FICO scoring, since it is not reporting a CL, both the balance and the non-existent CL are excluding from FICO scoring. You can max it out to $10k+ and you won't see any impact as far as util goes (though you still have overall balances vs. $0 balances to deal with).

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you saying that the balance is not configured in my utilization because it sure looks like it?
Message 6 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Are you saying that the balance is not configured in my utilization because it sure looks like it?

Excluded so as long as the CL isn't reported.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good to know, too bad that Macy's CSR don't know that, they cant explain.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.