cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macys credit line increase ... does it work? hard or soft pull?

tag
lunch
Established Member

Macys credit line increase ... does it work? hard or soft pull?

I'm working to decrease my CC utilization.  I've paid the balances on all cards down to 0.  The only thing left to do is request CL increases.  

Macys card ... just a credit card, not a co-branded Visa ... with $900 limit. I've had the card since June 2007.  Highest balance ever is $289.  Almost always paid in full each month.

Does anyone have experience getting a CL increase with Macys?  Do they do a hard pull in making the decision?

Thank you for your assistance.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Macys credit line increase ... does it work? hard or soft pull?

@lunch wrote:

I'm working to decrease my CC utilization.  I've paid the balances on all cards down to 0.  The only thing left to do is request CL increases.  

Macys card ... just a credit card, not a co-branded Visa ... with $900 limit. I've had the card since June 2007.  Highest balance ever is $289.  Almost always paid in full each month.

Does anyone have experience getting a CL increase with Macys?  Do they do a hard pull in making the decision?

Thank you for your assistance.

You can request through live chat or over the phone just calling back of card.

They will tell you it's a hp but it's 95% of the time SP using the reports they get every 1-3 months automatically.

If you use Macy's on a regular basis I suggest asking for CLI's every 3-4 months on store account.

they will ask how much you want and then they will instantly counter... they will tell you they can push if you want what you requested but that would most likely be hp.

in your case I would ask for $3k and see what they counter back.

Message 2 of 22
lunch
Established Member

Well... I contacted them using online chat.   The chat person sounded very firm that it would be a hard pull. I declined to proceed. Will phone and see if I can get a better sense of the process.  She also offered to reverse the 2.00 charge on my account which is remaining interest because I had a balance through half of the billing period before paying off the entire balance.

Here's the transcript:

Chat Transcript

lunch:  Hello, I would like to know if I can apply for a credit line increase and also if doing so requires a hard or soft pull of my credit report

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...

You have been connected to Ariel L.

Ariel L:  Welcome to Macy's live chat. I see your question and would be happy to help. May I have your full card or account number please?

lunch:  ## ### ### ### 0 [I gave them the real number]

Ariel L:  Thank you for the information. Please hold while I open your account.

Ariel L:  Thank you for waiting. Can you please verify the last 4 digits of your social security number and your date of birth for the security of the account?

lunch:  ####  mm/dd/yyyy [I gave them the actual numbers]

Ariel L:  Thank you for the information. In order to review the account for an increase, I will need your permission to view your credit report. I will also need to obtain your annual income before taxes. Your income may include salary, wages, tips, investment and rental income, Social Security, retirement account distributions and any other income you receive. Alimony, child support, or separate maintenance income need not be revealed if you do not wish to have it considered as a basis for repaying this obligation. I will also need you to provide me with your current living arrangement. For your current living arrangement, please inform me if you rent, own or have another type of living arrangement and the amount you pay monthly.

lunch:  The question I have is whether this view of my credit report is a HARD PULL or a SOFT PULL. I assume you know the difference.

Ariel L:  Please know that it will be a hard pull review to view your credit report.

lunch:  OK, never mind then. Good bye.

Ariel L:  Please know that I see a $2.00 charge on your account.

lunch:  I know. I will pay that right after I stop chatting with you.

Ariel L:  Please know that I can take care of the charges for you, but let me explain why you have the $2.00 charge.

lunch:  Yes, please explain

Ariel L:  Please be informed that our records indicate that you paid less than your full balance for at least one prior billing period. This is called having a revolving balance. As detailed in the Credit Card Agreement for your account, whenever you have a revolving balance on your account, interest is charged on that balance until the day you pay the balance in full. The interest charge you're questioning is for the days from the beginning of that billing period until the day you paid your balance in full. I was able to remove that amount for you. You now have a zero balance on your account. Is there anything else I can help you with?

lunch:  That's great. Thank you very much.

Ariel L:  Do you have any additional questions I may assist you with today

lunch:  No. I'm fine. Have a good day. Thank you for your assistance

Message 3 of 22
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

"Lunch," How did you capture your dialogue with Macy's?  Verbatim recording or voice recognition software?  Curious, if you have time!  Thanks!

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 4 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Like I said... They always say it will be a HP but almost never is. I was told by chat and even underwriting it would be HP and I went forward with request and it was NOT a HP... They used report on file.
This topic has been discussed over and over so you can search if you like and 95+% of the time it's a sp, not sure what decides it to be HP in the rare times it is but you have had the account way to long to be way to low on CL, is go for it
Message 5 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

You can copy paste the convo
Message 6 of 22
lunch
Established Member

@Corgihound wrote:

"Lunch," How did you capture your dialogue with Macy's?  Verbatim recording or voice recognition software?  Curious, if you have time!  Thanks!

It was a chat, not a phone call, so just copy and paste from the transcript window to the forum screen, then edited out my personal info.

Message 7 of 22
lunch
Established Member

@Creditaddict wrote:
Like I said... They always say it will be a HP but almost never is. I was told by chat and even underwriting it would be HP and I went forward with request and it was NOT a HP... They used report on file.
This topic has been discussed over and over so you can search if you like and 95+% of the time it's a sp, not sure what decides it to be HP in the rare times it is but you have had the account way to long to be way to low on CL, is go for it

I know you said that but it was more real actually reading the words on the screen.

I'll try it again.  

And one more question with apologies if this already been answered.   I am shopping for a mortgage. I have one hard lender pull from last week (only hard pull in years) and will be talking to at least one other lender. Plus my CR is going up and even if I stick with the current lender they'll probably do a hard pull again right before we finalize the purchase becuase I want to get a lower rate than that for which I've been pre-approved.

I know that multiple pulls in a short period of time only count as one pull.  Is this true if some of them are pulls from a bank, like for a mortgage inquiry and some from a credit card?  If not, it seems like this little 30-day period would be the time to do anything that requires a hard pull because they'll all be treated as one?  It cannot be that easy ...

Message 8 of 22
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

lunch . . . THANKS! 

lunch . . . THANKS!

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 9 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Mortgage and auto Inq are grouped together for scoring within a time period... Credit cards don't count.
Now since you are so close to mortgage app I would not risk the 5% chance of HP and wait till after you close to do cli!!
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.