Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macys no longer upgrades to amex?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macys no longer upgrades to amex?

For the past week I've been trying to upgrade my regular macys card to the amex and it's been such a hassle misinformed information been told system was down so tried again today and was told there is no such thing as upgrade anymore and I would have to apply for a whole new American express account in store and than they would close my old account? Huh so lost anyone have an further info on this?
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Macys no longer upgrades to amex?

Sorry I don't know anything about the upgrade. I have the regular Macy's store card. If you want an American Express or cobranded credit card and your credit profile supports it, apply for it. Best of luck!!!
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would be helpful to know as I was hoping at some point to upgrade my Bloomingdale's card to Amex (same bank as Macy's, through DSNB).

People have been getting the upgrades to Macy's and Bloomingdale's Amex via soft pull so it would be disappointing if the upgrade wasn't possible anymore.

Message 3 of 25
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

There's a lot happening with Macy's credit this week.   It's very likely that they can't do upgrades now, since tney can't do much of anything now.   The credit website is still down and people can only pay their bills in person or by pushing or mailing in payments.

I would try to ask next week.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke with a supervisor that assured me it won't be available at all and she said she was still confused with the system update and there is no option whatsoever anymore for it and there systems are completely updated now.
Message 5 of 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Which kinda makes sense if they're attempting to upgrade their systems to be more uniform platforms. Hence the reason they don't offer the separate extended financing tradelines like they used to and it appears most of these are now integrated.

Of course, the dust hasn't settled and I'm sure more information will become available in the next several weeks. But for those who do not qualify to get the AMEX option then it is what it is. So, it appears the option to get either would still reside at the store during any POS.
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

They really are all kinds of screwed up now. Firstly, to a previous poster, you cant apply directly for the Amex - you apply and either get the store version or the amex. Same for Bloomingdales. However, you can always request the upgrade to Amex and it takes about 30 days to review.

on 8/11/15 I applied for the Amex upgrade on my Macy's. This was right after I got approved for the Bloomingdales Amex, so I figured, why not. I got the email for the Bloomies Amex, called and got my limit which was confirmed to be Bloomies amex, and when I get the card? Store card.

I called in and they were so confused, and have no idea whats going on >.<

Long and the short, looks like I'm stuck with the Bloomies store card now =/.

I'm going to wait until this site is fixed and send in a secured mail and see why I got a different card.

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, please let us know whether you hear anything further about upgrades. Thanks

Message 8 of 25
ddemari
Super Contributor

That would be really disappointing if that was the case. But, since I am trying to chop off store cards. I would definitely get rid of Macys store card if there was never an opportunity to upgrade to amex. 

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ddemari wrote:

That would be really disappointing if that was the case. But, since I am trying to chop off store cards. I would definitely get rid of Macys store card if there was never an opportunity to upgrade to amex. 

Agreed ddemari. I already cut my Macy's off because I am also cutting store cards, but am keeping Bloomingdale's. I might reconsider keeping it if there won't be an option to upgrade, so let's hope for the best and wait to hear updates.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.