Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macys store card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macys store card

I was just upgraded to the Macys gold store card. I don't have the amex version because I don't like the fact that they are different accounts on one card. My question is do you get extra benefits when you obtain these different card levels with the store card?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Macys store card

I don't believe you will really see differences until you reach Platinum and Elite, at which point you start earning $25 awards instead of $10 and you have like 12 free wrapping or something... it also use to include free shipping but Macy's got cheap and took that reward away.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you log on to your account, you can click on the Macys store cards and see the specific rewards.  They sometimes have a brochure at the checkout that does the same thing. 

I believe the gold level starts to earn star rewards certificates. 

You'll get $10 star rewards certificates based on 1.5% of Macy's purchases.

Platinum and Elite receive $25 star rewards certificates based on 3% of Macy's purchases.

Red gets nuttin'.

So, congrats!  Those star rewards are good on anything in the store.  Combine them with some great sales, coupons and you've got a great deal!

Love my Macy's!

Message 3 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

My latest discovery is that the reward certificates expire and I'm not always ready to buy something... so now I go to the store and purchase a gift card and pay with the certificates, as gift cards never expire!!  One lady told me I could not do it and I told her she was wrong and when she called she found out she could, so don't let anyone tell you no!

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses. I decided to place a call today to see what the benefits were to the gold card and apparently there are none! I guess you need the amex version to receive any special benefits. I then asked why was I being upgraded and the CSR replied because I have spent more than $499. I don't really understand why they would have different card levels for the store card if there are no benefits to it. It seems like a waste to me.
Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I decided to place a call today to see what the benefits were to the gold card and apparently there are none! I guess you need the amex version to receive any special benefits. I then asked why was I being upgraded and the CSR replied because I have spent more than $499. I don't really understand why they would have different card levels for the store card if there are no benefits to it. It seems like a waste to me.

Platinum and Elite for sure have perks, but now that they did away with free shipping, I found that to be the best part... but you start earning $25 certificates in those levels.

Message 6 of 8
ShootingStar
Regular Contributor

How much do you have to spend to reach those levels?  My guess, is the color of your card is psychological -- it makes the customer feel as though they're "wining a game" or "achieving levels" which makes the consumer want to spend even more!

"It's myFICO and I can cry if I want to!"

Starting Score January 1, 2010: 640
Current Scores Updated Sept. 6, 2011: EQ: 765 / TU: 778 / EX PLUS: 773
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

"Working my way up!" Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

http://www.macys.com/service/credit/overview.ognc

macy's store rewards.jpg

I think the rewards used to vary according to the card fanciness, but this seems to have changed. Maybe you get more coupons or stuff?:

Macy's Card
  • 3% Rewards on nearly everything you buy with a Macy's Card† at select Macy's stores* and macys.com.
  • Shop and make a purchase using your keytag any 5 days in a 12 month period at Macy's to get your Rewards Card with your total rewards.
  • No Merchandise Exclusions. No kidding. Use your Rewards Card on all your favorite brands in store or online. Exceptions? You can't redeem it for cash or use it as a payment or credit on your Macy's account.
CARDHOLDER BENEFITS
  • Monthly coupons and savings passes for fashion and home.
  • Online account management at www.macys.com/mymacyscard.
  • Easy Returns when you use your Macy's Card even without a receipt.**
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.