cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made the dreaded oversight. Missed payment.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Made the dreaded oversight. Missed payment.

Ive been watching my accounts religiously and paying before statement cuts. I completely forgot about my Orbitz card becasue i thought I had paid it. I got my statement notfiication from Comenity and balance looked high so i checked the charges and there was a $25 late fee and $2.50 in interest. How screwed am I? I just paid the bill in full today and i'm a week late. is this going to appear on my credit report as a late payment even though it was not very late? I'm not too concerned about theinternal score but what the other banks see.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Made the dreaded oversight. Missed payment.

It will not report because it was less than 30 days late. If you have a good history with them, I would contact them and explain the mistake and ask for the removal of the late fee. I'm not sure about Comenity, but many banks will waive your first late fee when you contact them and explain that it was a mistake.
Message 2 of 7
lokobo
Regular Contributor

Most banks won't report it to the credit bureaus unless youre >30 days late Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
It will not report because it was less than 30 days late. If you have a good history with them, I would contact them and explain the mistake and ask for the removal of the late fee. I'm not sure about Comenity, but many banks will waive your first late fee when you contact them and explain that it was a mistake.

They Did this for my daughter with her comenity card, she made it after the cutoff time for the day due though, But It was pretty easy, She just called customer service and explained what happened.  

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have not had the account for long so this is only my second statement. I did PIF on the last one. I'm more worried about the credit report than the fee but we will see how it goes

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

My excuse would be something like "I didn't set this card up in my app which reminds me of due dates yet" and play it off like that. They csr can probably do it pretty easily, they just want to hear a plausible excuse first! It's worth it for the $25
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.