Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mail offer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mail offer

So I receive a mail offer in the mail today for Citi American Airline AAdvantage. Do I have shot getting it? I ask the question because I received a mail offer (different card) about couple months ago, but I got denied. Seems like all these mail offer are not guaranted. I don't want to lose any points for any HP for these offers.

My score is 620 (EQ).

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mail offer

@Anonymous wrote:

So I receive a mail offer in the mail today for Citi American Airline AAdvantage. Do I have shot getting it? I ask the question because I received a mail offer (different card) about couple months ago, but I got denied. Seems like all these mail offer are not guaranted. I don't want to lose any points for any HP for these offers.

My score is 620 (EQ).

More than likely the mailer is just a marketing piece.  Unless it gives a specific APR then it's not any kind of preapproval.  In all honesty your score is too low to be approved and I would wait until your scores gets in the 670 or so range before applying for a Citi card .

Message 2 of 9
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Prequals are never guarantees. They simply mean the CC company believes you'd be a "good fit" for their product.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmarGB9 wrote:
Prequals are never guarantees. They simply mean the CC company believes you'd be a "good fit" for their product.

That mailer he received is probably not any kind of pre qualified offer.  It's just a general marketing piece

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys.

I did flew in a American Airline a few times this year.

It does have a invitation number if that even matters.

Message 5 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I receive a mail offer in the mail today for Citi American Airline AAdvantage. Do I have shot getting it?

No idea.  The offer doesn't mean anything with regard to your approval odds.  Even prequals/preapprovals are not guarantees.

@Anonymous wrote:

Nope.  It's just marketing.  The number lets them know what marketing channel you received the offer from.

Message 6 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

And whether you would be approved or not (and I agree with your current score that is unlikely) the question is whether you would want this card.   Only makes sense if you travel on AA or partners (and can spend a fair bit on the card to generate worthwhile miles, especially once the AF kicks in)

Message 7 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks guys.

I did flew in a American Airline a few times this year.

If you want to know with more certainty, go to the Citi credit card prequalification link, "See if you're prequalified for a card", fill out the info including selecting the Card Benefit of Travel, and see what turns up. If they give you a list of cards with specific APR, you are almost certain to get that APR, and get the card, starting credit line is another matter. If the prequalification lists a range of APR, then there's much less certainty.

I followed the prequalification link for a few months, waited for it to keep giving me "lowest APR" as the only offer on all the Citi cards, then got the AAdvantage for the 13.99% rate and 50k miles just as that offer was going back to 30k a few weeks ago.

How many miles are on your prequalified offer? Because if it's only 30,000 miles, and you get a vague APR range on the prequalified page, then I would NOT app right now. It would be definitely a better choice to wait it out, wait for your prequalified results to give you a set APR, and wait for the 50,000 miles offer to come back.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.